Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
2015 Intl Pro Star - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: 2015 Intl Pro Star (/showthread.php?tid=5972)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

2015 Intl Pro Star - amermextrucker - 03-15-2020

Hello,

New to this page. I want to start out by thanking Rawze for allowing me to join this page . Alot of knowledgeable people on here and as an O/O i feel i can learn alot on here. Im looking to purchase my first DEF/DPF truck. Looking for some feedback good or bad . Here are the facts.

1.) 2015 intl ProStar with Cummins ISX 450HP , 10 spd trans & 3.36 rears. Truck has 463000 MILES.
2.) New liners , rings and rod bearings in 2018. Most likely due to carbon packing.
3.) New turbo 2018.
4.) Fuel pump campaign 2017.
5.) New injector 2018 #6
6.) Test drove truck after inspecting . Truck drove great. (bobtail)
7.) Pulled oil sample after test run. Sent oil sample to Caterpillar lab. Oil was black. I was told by salesman oil was "possibly" changed in may 2019. Sample came back with Iron at 36 ppm.
8.) I sent truck to DYNO test next door to CUMMINS dealer. Per tech at Cummins truck did really well on Dyno test. Blowby is very minimal like new engine and boost was at 27 psi at 1499 rpms and 51 mph. Oil pressure @ 39 psi and blowby was 3.58. Per tech no fault codes or check engine light during dyno.
9.) Based on this info I made an offer to purchase truck.
10.) Dealer has agreed to clean DPF filter prior to me taking possesion.
11.) Truck has 14000 total hours .
12.) Truck has had some emissions related sensors replaced.
13.) After DYNO i was told by cummins front cover is leaking and gear housing gasket might be going. I was told that was a common issue. I requested truck be black lighted for oil leaks.
14.) Coolant was green which concerned me. I requested that it be changed to red coolant and coolant filter be replaced.

I feel im getting truck at a very good price. Its a buyers market at the moment and i need a sleeper. I know these engines have some issues but which ones dont? im also a big Cummins fan. I feel ive done my homework. Pls any feedback good or bad I would greatly appreciate it as I have not signed anything yet.

RE: 2015 Intl Pro Star - tree98 - 03-15-2020

The first thing that comes to my mind would be this. Don't think for a minute that they inframed that engine correctly! There are many people on this forum that have had engines rebuilt by dealers and so called reputable shops, just to find out it needs an inframe again 100,000 miles or less later. If I were you I would just assume it needs an inframe right now. Also those rears aren't a great ratio.

RE: 2015 Intl Pro Star - amermextrucker - 03-15-2020

TREE98

Thx for the response. I was thinking about that. It was inframed in 2018 and i was thinking that if it was done wrong it would of possibly showed itself by now?

TREE98,

Dont know much about ratios. But i can tell you what kind of work I do. I run from Peru , Ill area to Chicago everyday. Thats roughly 100 miles one way. I run containers (JBHUNT)
and light to heavy ( 80,000 gross).

RE: 2015 Intl Pro Star - marek4792 - 03-15-2020

Even though IL is mostly flat a 10 speed with 3.36s suck, if the trans was a 13 or 18 speed it would be better but realistically local in Chicago area you want atleast a 3.55 rear especially with a 10 speed which is all you really need what speed do you plan running it at? A 3.55 rear end with lowpro 22.5 tires will put you about 1500rpm at 65mph. I would heed tree's advice about the inframe too, but if I was in your shoes I would find a good flattop/daycab freightliner with a Detroit motor and save the money towards a properly spec'd truck! There's a reason why there's so many of them especally from a certain company that starts with a "P" and its because they won't die.

i would like to run at as close to 70 mph as i can once i get to the open road. The truck has low pros 22.5.

RE: 2015 Intl Pro Star - Rawze - 03-16-2020

* inspect the overhead cam really well before purchase, even if you have to pay them a couple hundred bucks to pull the engine cover.

* expect to do a full egr-tune-up on it and a few days to go thru that egr, scr doser, DPF doser, and enigne.

* REPLACE THE GUTS of that fuel pump.. ASAP!. -- does not matter what campaign it has had done to it. -- Most of those campaigns were a joke!

* Almost all used truck stealers will take off the DOC and DPF during the sale (or before they put it on the lot),.. it will get them at least a month or 2 before to mask all the issues with them before the dpf issues set back in and by then, they could care less about you.

* expect to have issues with it. Expect to have to do all the neglected 250k mile maint. to it like re-torquing all the wheel bearings and all the other things that never get done properly.

* Do a proper overhead valve adjustment on it they day you get it.

* 36 on the iron is a big red flag. That is way too high! . it is a sign that the oil changes have been severely neglected.

* Like others have said... put zero faith in the overhaul. Does not necessarily mean its bad,. your chances are overall about 60/40 in your favor (unless it was done by a shop known for poor quality work) ... but If they jacked the price way up based on the fact it had an overhaul,.. i would walk away.

* 3.36's are a bit too tall for what you describe. You will be hard pressed to navigate local traffic and frequent stops with it geared like that . it will always feel a bit weak and the next thing you will be crying about is how to turn up the power instead of re-gearing it. IT IS ALWAYS ALWAYS cheaper to re-gear it than to turn up the HP. keep that in mind... Also, even for that 70mph on those occasions. you would fair much better with a 13 and a set of 3.79's and it will easily still do 70 when needed. the ISX does not like low rpm, engine lasts much longer when driving it at 1600 than it does by pushing it hard below 1500. 1800+ is not a problem for it at all either.

- Personally, i would have to heavily consider what other moneys that will be needed to get it road worthy, re-gearing it properly for the application, and and all the other things before settling on an acceptable price vs. finding something more suited.

in the mean time, if you are set on owning a red engine,.. get yourself insite and an adapter + older laptop and get other tools you need to be on top of it instead of sitting on the side of the roads somewhere in a couple months wishing you had.

RE: 2015 Intl Pro Star - amermextrucker - 03-16-2020

Rawze,

Thx for your input. the dealer did not mention anything about it being overhauled. I got that info from the engine serial #. Also the overhead was something i was seriously considering doing asap and inspecting top end. Ive been looking for 2 mos now and this process has been really stressful. This has been the best truck ive been able to find at my price point which is under $40,000.

I looked really hard at a 2014 KW with a Paccar at 600,000 but i walked away because of all the check engine light issues i read they have. Based on what im hearing i might just hold off altogether.

RE: 2015 Intl Pro Star - Rawze - 03-16-2020

(03-16-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Rawze,

Thx for your input. the dealer did not mention anything about it being overhauled. I got that info from the engine serial #. Also the overhead was something i was seriously considering doing asap and inspecting top end. Ive been looking for 2 mos now and this process has been really stressful. This has been the best truck ive been able to find at my price point which is under $40,000.

I looked really hard at a 2014 KW with a Paccar at 600,000 but i walked away because of all the check engine light issues i read they have. Based on what im hearing i might just hold off altogether.

it is becoming more and more difficult find well spec'd trucks these days. - This is because the mega-fleets have flooded the markets with trucks that are geared way too tall to compensate for idiot drivers who cannot move their foot from the floor of the fuel pedal, or cannot drive without using 90% cruise control. - Of course, other companies follo suit and spec their trucks horrible like that as well, and now it is becomming the normal thing to see trucks with horrible geared rears, enigne's that get carbon packed at 450k or worn so far out becuase of being lugged to death and no one changing the oil for 30k miles or more like a bunch of completely abusive morons.

Do not repeat this endless cycle seen on here ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=814&pid=6718#pid6718