Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Steer axle - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: International Trucks Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=69)
+--- Thread: Steer axle (/showthread.php?tid=6196)

Pages: 1 2 3

Steer axle - 74bassman - 05-23-2020

I have 2010 prostar. I'm thinking about changing the leaf springs. Currently I have the 1 leaf spring per side. Would changing to the 2 leaf per side be ok? I also want to change shocks, I would appreciate and recommendations on shocks.

RE: Steer axle - Waterloo - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  I have 2010 prostar. I'm thinking about changing the leaf springs. Currently I have the 1 leaf spring per side. Would changing to the 2 leaf per side be ok? I also want to change shocks, I would appreciate and recommendations on shocks.

You can replace the springs, or add a helper to them. A few guys here have done that, there are some custom spring shops that are inexpensive and will get you into what you need. As far as front shocks, these are what I use, call FleetPride, as I bought a set there for much less than Amazon is selling them... https://amzn.to/3giXmBK

I use these adjustable Gabriels on the rear, also FleetPride has a much better price.
https://amzn.to/3c0DIHk

RE: Steer axle - Ricky - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  I have 2010 prostar. I'm thinking about changing the leaf springs. Currently I have the 1 leaf spring per side. Would changing to the 2 leaf per side be ok? I also want to change shocks, I would appreciate and recommendations on shocks.

I replaced my front springs and bushings a while back. I spoke with a guy at ATS Springs in Pa and they were great. I told him what I wanted and they made it happen. The spring rating on my prostar from the factory didn't add up to 12,000lbs, they are like 5200 per side. That's they ride rough I guess. But I also had them make me inch and a half blocks to replace those big factory ones. It lowered the front and with the better springs it rides great. Find yourself a good spring shop and get a new set made with the good bushings. The springs, blocks, bushings and U bolts shipped to me was like 857.00.

RE: Steer axle - 74bassman - 05-23-2020

Thank you Ricky I will have to give them a call on Tuesday. Does your Prostar on have the one leaf per side?

Thanks Waterloo over all how do you like the Monroe, how often are you replacing them?

RE: Steer axle - Ricky - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  Thank you Ricky I will have to give them a call on Tuesday. Does your Prostar on have the one leaf per side?

Mine was a factory two

Just found out that my Kingpins are part of the axle, and cannot be replace. The stealership here said the kingpins are mold in the whole assembly. Anybody else heard of this.

RE: Steer axle - Rawze - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020 )74bassman Wrote:  Just found out that my Kingpins are part of the axle, and cannot be replace. The stealership here said the kingpins are mold in the whole assembly. Anybody else heard of this.

the quickest way to get ripped off by a mechanic is to have that idiot jack up your front end and take a pry-bar to the tire.. then wiggle it up and down and claim your king pins are shot --- not ever once considering any expected tolerances... I see it on a daily basis.

-- What is the tolerance you are seeing? -- Have you measured it with dial indicator and compered it to the service manual specs? -- if not, your wasting your time even thinking about it, and any mechanic that would even suggest you replace a king pin on an axle without using a dial indicator and knowing exactly the backlash --- is a completely full of s#it idiot!.

what type/brand of axle u have? some brands of them are not meant to be replaced, but only the brass bushings when there becomes too much play in it (measured via a dial indicator).

I just considering replacing just because age of truck. I was at the stealership getting afew parts, and had the parts guy give me a copy of the illustration. He is the one who mention that on my Henderickson axle that the king pins are non replaceable.