Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Prostar and Volvo - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Prostar and Volvo (/showthread.php?tid=6329)

Pages: 1 2 3

Prostar and Volvo - GAguy912 - 06-25-2020

Going to look at a 2009 prostar with a ISX Cummins and a 2015 Volvo tomorrow. Really like the Prostar and it only has around 665,000 miles on it. The Volvo is much newer and has around 484,000 on it .

What is the number one thing/item to check on both trucks since I’m considering purchasing in the near future.

I have a very good understanding about trucks so I’m just looking for more information that you all could offer. The International is super clean and has been sitting for some time (no driver). Just want to learning what to look out for on the trucks!

RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-25-2020

* you have not mentioned anything whatsoever that actually counts towards making an informed truck purchase.

* Type of truck operations, freight, local, regional, or long haul,.. weight requirements, types of trailers,.. etc.

* You did not mention the rear ratios, trans, tire sizes, or anything else.

* you did not mention if you are a steering wheel holder and just want to run off to every stealers$it every time you get a check engine light like the bulk of morons out there...or if you plan on learning how to own it long term and learn to work on it yourself to some medium degree,. and how all that fits into your business plan and profitability.

-- all you mention are things that have ABSOLUTELY ZERO RELEVANCE TOWARDS AN INFORMED TRUCK PURCHASE

-- I.E.> MY ADVICE WOULD BE TO START BY GETTING YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CLOUDS AND START USING YOUR NOODLE!!!!

RE: Prostar and Volvo - GAguy912 - 06-25-2020

Ok wow I asked for a few points to add to my knowledge. I’ve been around trucks most of my life. I love learning about them and even working on them. I will do as much maintenance and repairs as possible. I know about trucks & I take time out to learn and maybe I cannot answer some really technical question that you could but I’m sure I'm as smart as you if not smarter. I don’t have the experience working on trucks like you but I’m very capable of learning. I could spec out a truck for different types of jobs if needed! I’m not asking for your to identify a truck to do the jobs I’m interested in. I’m looking for check this area for leaks, remove this cover and this should appear........, check these for any slack or play....... check this part for replacement or so forth Rawze would like for you to even look the truck over if I purchase either do not know if your software would work with the Volvo.

Asking about things you know to watch out for with either truck. Both trucks will do what I need them to do, but having a sleeper will give me even more options. What are some common things that could

RE: Prostar and Volvo - Lonestar10 - 06-25-2020

2009 is a cm871 dpf no scr DEF and the truck is old has mechanical injectors and a second cam.
Problem areas for that mileage and age - cams, electrical, electronics, overhead, 5th wheel jaws

Pros - both engine and truck have readily available parts

15 Volvo is dpf and has scr DEF is either cm-2250 or 2350 has electrical common rail injectors only one cam.

Problem areas 4 age and miles - fuel pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced every 400,000 miles or it can boat anchor the engine, more prone to liner failures due to the higher low end torque of the common rail engines, cam, Volvo parts can be hard to come by as a dealer Network is small, overhead, oil leaks

Pros - engine parts are available anywhere.

so inspect all the problem areas there's probably more that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head

RE: Prostar and Volvo - GAguy912 - 06-25-2020

2009 International ProStar
Cummins ISX 435ST 9CEXH0912XAK
10speed

2015 Volvo VNL64T630 flattop/midroof
D13 400hp+
3.55 ratio
10speed trans

Had all this information on my last post and don’t know how it magically disappeared

RE: Prostar and Volvo - Rawze - 06-25-2020

(06-25-2020 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  ...- fuel pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced every 400,000 miles or it can boat anchor

The Cm871's do not have this issue. They have proven themselves to be more reliable engine than the newer 2250 and 2350's overall.

-- As far as choosing engine ...

Since you say you like to do your own work to it.. there is really only one choice .. the Red headed step child cummins it is ... it is the most easily maintainable and modifiable, most friendly of the more modern engine to work on yourself nad all the software for it is avail online in shady places for free.. it is a no-brainer as far as engine go. All manuals and drawing, parts books, how-to's all info ris avail at cummins via free quickserv account too. - The Volvo .. good luck working on it or getting any kind of decent custom programming, or anything much else to help the back-yard mechanic along.. not nearly as freindly.

as far as the truck is concerned ...

the chassis of the prostar is about 0.6 mpg more efficient if all other specs were the same when compared to a Volvo chassis.

RE: Prostar and Volvo - Waterloo - 06-26-2020

ProStar, much easier to work on, and is well known in regards to the weak spots and how to fix. Parts availability is second to none. Once the motor is squared away, that 871 is hard to beat, no fuel pump issues either, the rest is pretty easy to maintain. And yes, I have owned a few Volvos. If I was to for some reason get rid of my 2008 ProStar too buy new, it would be another ProStar/LT. The other reason to go with the ProStar, the software is readily available for the International side, that right there is worth a pile of cash.

RE: Prostar and Volvo - GAguy912 - 06-26-2020

Well thank you both for you insight on these trucks. It’s obviously not going to be the best truck out I would much rather have something with a 12.7 Detroit ( these trucks r getting very $$$ ) in it but for the price it’s worth at least taking a look at it and see if I can get it even cheaper than what he is asking. Now could it be possible to put another 200,000 on that prostar with running the overhead and should an egr delete be done? In your years of experience what would be the top few things to perform maintenance on and or replace if I purchase the truck?
Would you recommend taking it to a local dealer and having them put the computer on it?

Also the Volvo had me at the price and the amount that’s out on the road. It seems as if in the next few years maybe the parts, knowledge and software will be available to be able work on these trucks in your back yard. I’ve seen some used Volvo’s trucks go for 25-40 grand and still have 150,000-200,000 mile warranty (600,000 miles warranty) left on them. Sometimes I wonder if this would be a way to go also.

What grabbed my attention with the prostar is the year because it’s before the DEF system, body condition, interior and price. This is a very clean truck and it was moving furniture nothing heavy. Than the information that I’ve seen on here a few years ago.

RE: Prostar and Volvo - Chamberpains - 06-26-2020

Warranties are for suckers and not worth anything. Trucks with warranties are sold because they are a problem or you're paying extra for the truck warranty in the price of the truck. Which leads back to warranties are for suckers.

Buy the truck you CAN work on and are willing to work on and never look back. Don't be the slave of someone else's hand. Volvo's are not that truck. They are God awful over egineered proprietary locked messes. They don't ever share info easily and are ultra hard to work on physically.

As far as 60 series Detroit, youre gonna over pay for something that is obsolete. Fools think those engines are the way to the future. They aren't. They were good for their time. But to this day still chew cams up, leaking cam plate seals, broken rocker buttons, cracked gear cases and failed bull gears. Don't get me wrong, I like them and enjoy working on them. I just wouldn't go back in time to forward my business. Newer Cummins are FAR more profitable and fuel efficient engines and are fantastic for longevity if you take care of them.