Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Extended oil drains - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Extended oil drains (/showthread.php?tid=6419)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

RE: Extended oil drains - amermextrucker - 07-20-2020

Thats what I'm saying! Thx.

RE: Extended oil drains - dhirocz - 08-01-2020

What alot of people overlook is that the oil breaks down over time...it looses its additives...and it also accumulates trash and acids as well, as well as loosing viscosity. The only solution to this is to flush it by changing the oil. Synthetic might be more resistant to breaking down, but still doesn't do anything about the acids and waste that accumulate in the oil over time.

I'm at 880k on the stock engine. This thing is pretty damn well worn out at this point, but I dont think it would have made it this far had it not been for regular lower mile oil change intervals and gear oil.

Ever notice that your oil pressures get lower and your engine gets noisier when you get closer to oil change time? That's a sign that your oil is thin and worn out. I wouldn't use that a sole indicator of when to change oil, but I notice at or near my drain interval that this tends to happen. Personally, I'm happy with yearly drain intervals on my trans and diffs with non synthetic as well. If I were to run up north alot in the winter...I might go to synthetic in the boxes, but I tend to like keeping the oil fresh.

I've had better luck with synthetics in my cars so I'll keep using them there instead.I'm a believer in synthetics, but not in my truck. I also understand a little more about how they work than the average schmuck, and therefore do not blindly believe that anything that is oil has to be synthetic. Worked fine for me for the last 4 or so years.

RE: Extended oil drains - Brock - 08-01-2020

Doesn't that ecopur claim to filter out acids?

RE: Extended oil drains - Lonestar10 - 08-01-2020

iam at about 15k miles on this oil change gone change it tomorrow if my mileage comes back up that will be my indicator of when i should change oil every time my mileage falls off. i think ive lost .5-.75mpg as the oil has aged.