Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Main bearings - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Main bearings (/showthread.php?tid=6595)

Main bearings - Mrt800 - 09-12-2020

I removed my new main bearings from packaging and measured them with calipers. I left small scratches where the calipers were place should I junk them or still use them . I did some research on service bulletin they indicated that they have several layers of metal.

RE: Main bearings - redbeard - 09-12-2020

I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in

RE: Main bearings - Mrt800 - 09-12-2020

(09-12-2020 )redbeard Wrote:  I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in

RE: Main bearings - Aleeex - 09-12-2020

Bearings don’t need break in. Only piston rings

RE: Main bearings - Mrt800 - 09-12-2020

Tks red beard. I know now to use a ball tip Micrometer for next . I tku Rawze for your platform.

RE: Main bearings - Rawze - 09-12-2020

(09-12-2020 )redbeard Wrote:  I think your good. We used to take a grey scotch brite pad and polish new bearings to help with break in

I am hoping your referring to some older type of engine of days gone past that was known for improper fit bearings or something.

On an ISX, the proper main/rod bearing clearance is 0.002" - 0.004" ... I would hope someone would not take a scotch-brite pad to one unless it was to achieve the right clearances, and had plastigauged everything before hand to ensure they needed to do such a drastic thing.

RE: Main bearings - Waterloo - 09-12-2020

When we in framed my truck in "The Master's" driveway, we treated those bearings with kid gloves, and lotsa Slick Lube... Just saying.

RE: Main bearings - smorgan87 - 09-13-2020

Bearing looks like its been bouncin around in a truck tool box for a week.