Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue (/showthread.php?tid=6662)

ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue - ITgirl - 10-02-2020

We are desperately seeking help regarding a 2013 Kenworth T8 with a Cummins ISX - vin 1XKDD40X2DJ347571 which came in to us for a loss of cruise control and engine brake and with all of the SAE J1939 Multiplexing set to DISABLE and we believe that a previous shop has flashed the ECM multiple times causing the ECM to lose the "enables" and "source addresses." This is our first time to see this truck in our shop.

How do we find out what the source addresses should be?

RE: ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue - DieselKid - 10-02-2020

Before changing parameters have you checked data monitor to see what service brake switch and clutch pedal switch are showing. Both should be released. If either show depressed then that's the first place to start

RE: ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue - DieselKid - 10-02-2020

Sorry just re-read that, didn't notice multiplexing was off. Are you getting faults 285 and 286? I think your only option maybe to contact a KW dealer and get them to email you original settings. Another option would be to use parameters from another unit from same year with same engine. I think all addresses are to the cecu. Multiplexing is pretty close on all of them, you may still have some issues that you could figure out when some functions fail to work.

RE: ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue - Rawze - 10-03-2020

(10-02-2020 )ITgirl Wrote:  We are desperately seeking help regarding a 2013 Kenworth T8 with a Cummins ISX - vin 1XKDD40X2DJ347571 which came in to us for a loss of cruise control and engine brake and with all of the SAE J1939 Multiplexing set to DISABLE and we believe that a previous shop has flashed the ECM multiple times causing the ECM to lose the "enables" and "source addresses." This is our first time to see this truck in our shop.

How do we find out what the source addresses should be?

This is a common problem actually, I have seen it a lot.

- Cummins Insite software is notorious for occasionally loosing multiplex and other settings found under "Feature and Parameters" etc. (the multiplex settings for cruise, jake, etc) whenever someone flashed the ecm with a new program. This especially true if someone flashes the ecm two times in a row for whatever reason. This happens even when someone has all the options (check boxes) turned on for backing up and restoring features and parameters during the flash process.

Because this is a well known problem, the ppl who flashed it likely did not make an 'ecm image' and subsequent 'ecm template' before flashing it. -- SOMEONE SHOULD ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS MAKE AN ECM TEMPLATE BEFORE FLASHING AN ECM WITH INSITE!!!!! ... If they had, then they could have simply restored the information after seeing it got lost.

There are a few way out of this...

A)> The easiest is to take the ecm off the side of the truck and take it to a Kenworth stealers$it and have them bench flash it with the correct program for that ser# engine/truck and set the trucks ecm template back into it while they are at it. Most of the stealers$its that can bench flash them are the same ones that can sell you a blank ecm + pre-flash it with all the truck settings so that the truck owner does not have to deal with flashing it or changing setting after putting it on their truck... Usually costs about $300 or so to have a stea$lers#it flash one.

B)> Find another T8 truck (2013 - 2016 model) and make an ECM template using Insite software ... then restore the template into the truck with the missing settings.

C)> Pulling the file out of the ecm with CT software and e-mailing it to someone that has other T8 trucks on record so they can see exactly what settings got lost and put them back into the program. After that, it would simply be a matter of flashing the program back in with CT and testing everything to ensure it now works.

D)> You can try to type them in by hand via cimmins Insite, but sometimes this is not enough, depending on what got lost. Some data is not available with Insite under its features and parameters section for some trucks. i have seen people restore the data this way with success, and I have seen them not have good success by doing this. It just depends on how much got lost and if the setting for a particular truck feature can be seen with Insite or not.

----------

--You being a repair shop, Aside from having a second truck handy with all the right settings ... I would ...

Take the ecm off the vehicle and send the ecm to the stealers%it and let your customer pay them to re-flash the ecm properly + them restore the truck make/models settings while they are in there. This is the easiest solution of them all. Find a stealers#it that can bench flash it. You don't want the whole truck there, this forces them to bench flash it. If they say they need the whole truck, they are most likely going to be unable to do the job properly.

or...

Get CT ( c.a.l.t.e.r.m version 3.17 / 2017 / is recommended ) software going and learn to copy files in and out of ECM yourselves. it is pretty easy, most truck owners on this site have figured out how to do this. That way you learn somethign in the process and it benefits your shop in the end. You will then have that ability for yourselves, as it is important for any repair shop to be able to, fully back up and restore anyone's ecm as needed. The Insite software alone cannot do this properly. - once you have a copy of the program out of the ecm, you can then e-mail it to me and I will look it over and see what is missing in it. I know that I have plenty of T800 truck ecm images here backed up, it is likely the same settings, -- I am always reviewing peoples bad delete programs, etc. for them. I might even have a T8 image or 2 to check the settings against if I look hard enough.

RE: ISX no cruise or eng brake-multiplexing issue - ITgirl - 10-04-2020

(10-03-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  This is a common problem actually, I have seen it a lot.

Thank you, thank you! You have been sooooo nice to respond! We ALWAYS make an ECM image before and after each use of Insite...we have it set up as part of the Work Order settings. And YES we have had to use it! Unfortunately we got this after someone else and, like you said, they flubbed it up. I really appreciate all this advice. At least we will start our week with a plan of attack. I am going right now to make a donation so that you can KEEP THE LIGHTS ON

you are amazing!

Itgirl