Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Popping like sound - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Ask Your question... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Popping like sound (/showthread.php?tid=69)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Popping like sound - Coco620 - 02-26-2016

Has anyone experienced a popping like sound more so at idle up to like 13-1400 rpm then seems to get better bop bop bop

RE: Popping like sound - hhow55 - 02-27-2016

I had the same thing happen on a n14, and it turned out being a leaky injector cup. When the injector was pulled, coolant was discovered. I suggest you have it looked at, very soon. I recall the mechanic using a infrared thermometer, and the temp at the exhaust manifold was very high, for the cylinder in question.

RE: Popping like sound - Coco620 - 02-27-2016

Thanks a bunch hhow

RE: Popping like sound - Big D - 02-28-2016

Listen close around your air filter. Does it seem louder? If so you may have a bad cam or valve train issue.

RE: Popping like sound - Coco620 - 02-28-2016

You're the second person that mentioned the cam, Yikes!! Thank you Yes it does get louder around the air filter. Big D

RE: Popping like sound - gearhead - 02-28-2016

Cound be valves on intake side being held open because of needing a valve adjustment. The valves on the intake side tighten up after time from the valves pounding themselves up into the seat from constant opening and closing. Have your valves checked if not they will end up coming in contact with the piston. I may be wrong but i have seen this before.

RE: Popping like sound - Marajin - 02-28-2016

(02-26-2016 )Coco620 Wrote:  Has anyone experienced a popping like sound more so at idle up to like 13-1400 rpm then seems to get better bop bop bop

just a guess.
It could be a cracked intake valve. Remove intake pipe from charge air cooler and see if it gets a lot louder at idle.

boroscope engine and check all the valves.

RE: Popping like sound - Coco620 - 02-28-2016

I will get on that! I appreciate it of course I had a shop run the overhead three weeks ago when they replaced turbo maybe I can get them to do it over

RE: Popping like sound - Marajin - 02-28-2016

(02-28-2016 )Coco620 Wrote:  I will get on that! I appreciate it of course I had a shop run the overhead three weeks ago when they replaced turbo maybe I can get them to do it over

maybe they did it wrong or left something loose. that could be a catastrophic failure in your future if you keep driving it and it is something serious.