Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs (/showthread.php?tid=6935)

Pages: 1 2

Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Sergiu - 01-16-2021

Cummins ISX CM2250. On January 15th, engine started to spit oil from both sides of the gear housing, I had lost 4 gal in 20 miles though my oil pressure didn't drop below 20 psi before I make it to the nearest shop Newton Brothers Diesel Services of Denham Springs, LA. They found oil leak between cylinder head and gear housing and said the reason is a bent Mounting Spacer Plate (Cummins part number 4298514) and two broken cap screws holding it. The engine was overhauled 31000 miles ago by Continental Truck Service of Orlando, FL. Newton Brothers assumed that Continental over torqued those screws and they stripped the threads which caused the damages. I'm wondering now what other damages should I look for ? what else needs to be checked while the truck still in shop ?
[attachment=7394]
[attachment=7395]
[attachment=7396]

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - tree98 - 01-16-2021

At this point it's to late to check his work. You can bet the counterbores weren't cut and liners shimmed up properly and only God knows what else was half assed.Maybe you got lucky and he reused the old head, atleast that way when you buy a new head in the near future it won't be the second one you had to buy.It's a sad state of affairs, I feel for you.

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Rawze - 01-16-2021

(01-16-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  ... You can bet the counterbores weren't cut and liners shimmed up properly

Not cutting the counter-bores on an ISX once it comes apart = not extending its life by one iota. sure that overhaul kit may make it burn less oil between oil changes, but it does not extend the engines overall lifespan. - It will come apart again in far less of a time-frame (usually a couple years or so) than if it were done 100% right to begin with, where it could have lasted another million miles.

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Sergiu - 01-16-2021

I was told they cut the counter bores yet they haven't torqued two bolts properly (idler gears plate), the easiest job and they failed on it.. I don't know what to think. I can see one bolt tip is broken and probably went down into head or oil system

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Sergiu - 02-12-2021

Newton Bros replaced the spacer plate, cap screws, o rings, gaskets, inspected the gears and installed everything back. But during a test drive the engine was making a grinding noise above 1300 rpm, and the gauge that measures intake manifold air pressure was climbing in increments not in a fluid natural manner as it was before. At this moment they don't know what's the reason of that noise. Any ideas ?

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Rawze - 02-12-2021

(02-12-2021 )Sergiu Wrote:  Newton Bros replaced the spacer plate, cap screws, o rings, gaskets, inspected the gears and installed everything back. But during a test drive the engine was making a grinding noise above 1300 rpm, and the gauge that measures intake manifold air pressure was climbing in increments not in a fluid natural manner as it was before. At this moment they don't know what's the reason of that noise. Any ideas ?

yeah ,.... run away as fast as you can and find someone who knows how to work on cummins engines instead.

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Sergiu - 02-12-2021

I would, but at this moment I probably need a new engine or my money spent on overhauling this engine back. Has anyone sued a shop before ? What's the procedure ? Continental Truck Services of Orlando, FL says this is not their fault, and brought laughable excuses - one of them that I had to do all my PMs at their shop only, or that they believe the engine cap screws fell apart because I used starting fluid, or that I had to bring the truck to their shop right after it started leaking oil (it happened suddenly at 3am and I was under a load pulling a customer's trailer in Louisiana 700 miles away from Orlando, FL). Now they want to see the truck but I believe they will come up with another bullshit after inspecting it and will refuse to pay anyway.. Should I bring it to their shop or go to the court right away ?

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Waterloo - 02-12-2021

I would take the truck to Mr Hag if it will make it to Griffin GA.

RE: Mechanic didn't torque the bolts properly $7000 in repairs - Nilao - 02-12-2021

Take it to Mr hagg, have him perform a failure analysis. Either they pay the repair or take them to court with Haggai's failure analysis staying failure was due to prior shops failing to *insert reason here*.