Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Moving Home - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Your Daily Blog (/forumdisplay.php?fid=77)
+--- Thread: Moving Home (/showthread.php?tid=7008)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: Moving Home - tree98 - 02-05-2021

(02-05-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  Yup, as the title says: I'm moving back home

Every bit of what I'm moving is personal property

Ah ok, we kinda took the long way around to get here.

RE: Moving Home - hhow55 - 02-06-2021

People move their personal belonging's daily, without a cdl. Uhaul come to mind

RE: Moving Home - Chamberpains - 02-06-2021

I fairly certain even uhaul requires a CDL when renting equipment with CDL weight class equipment.

I know Penske does.

Do I need a special driver's license to rent U-Haul equipment?
You do not need a special driver’s license to rent U-Haul equipment. A government-issued driver’s license is required to rent our trucks and trailers. U-Haul trucks are not considered commercial vehicles. Therefore, a commercial driver’s license or special endorsement is not required.

Exception: In Quebec, you are required to have a Class 3 Driver’s License to operate our 26’ truck.

Non-Business Related Transportation of Personal Property
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) has previously provided guidance regarding an exception to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) for non-business related transportation of personal property, including the transportation of animals and vehicles to shows or other events. To qualify for this exception, there can be no compensation for the transportation, and the driver cannot be engaged in business related to the transportation (e.g., a professional racing operation transporting horses or cars to a race).

In such non-business related transportation of personal property, the FMCSRs do not apply, even if prize or scholarship money is offered. This exception includes the Hours-of-Service (HOS) regulations and requirements for Electronic Logging Devices (ELDs). As previously noted in the Agency’s guidance relating to the transportation of horses, the Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) regulations do not apply to transportation of personal property when the vehicle is used strictly for non-business purposes unless a CDL is required by the driver’s home state.

RE: Moving Home - Waterloo - 02-07-2021

Homer, you stinker. ;-)

RE: Moving Home - JMBT - 02-07-2021

I know for a fact that large motorhomes even when they have air brakes and weigh in at 50,000lbs do not require a CDL or any special endorsements. Even when pulling a three axle stacker trailer. They also do not have to abide by the same length and width laws that we do. In fact, I know a few folks in luxury motorhome sales, and have been told most of the large diesel pushers come from the factory overweight on one or more of their axles. Many are around 9.5 feet wide if they have double side awnings, and many combinations of coach and trailer are 90 feet or better in length.

It’s a crazy double standard world we live in.

RE: Moving Home - Chamberpains - 02-07-2021

For sure JMBT. This is why forums that moderate for honest, open and factual conversations are fantastic.

Hhow55 just schooled me a bit on CDL. Thank you sir. I also found that Uhaul is skirting the CDL requirements by 1 pound. Their biggest piece of equipment (26' box truck) is rated to GVRW 25,999 lbs. And towing of 7500 lbs. So they can be excluded from the conversation.

(OP) As for why I originally said that he may get looked at by the rest of the country is because he will. He is putting together what I assume is a full on commercial sized tractor trailer and looking just like every tractor trailer on the road. He never did clarify what kind of Peterbuilt or even what kind of 24' dry van. Even if he's legal to make the move it doesn't mean that he isn't gonna get run down for blowing by a scale house or pulled in to one for closer inspection. I believe that last part is what the OP was asking about. He's picking up some used trailer with "issues". And wants to know how to make this move go as smooth as possible.

He needs to be fully prepared to be scrutinized just like the rest of tractor trailers out there. In fact he'll probably get looked at harder. There has been a country wide crack down the last 5-10 years on drug trafficking and law enforcement is targeting rigs like the OP's and other unmarked smaller box trucks. Or at least they have been here in the NE.

This is why we see so many people pulled over on the side of the road or in weigh stations with the roll up doors up, all their furniture posed like a picture for the world to see and about 5 officers surrounding it milling around. They're looking for drugs and contraband.

With that said, the OP's rig should be gone over and repaired to FMCSA standards. Because even if you don't need a CDL to operate it, you most definitely need it to be at or above minimum standards. Should you get pulled over in the state I live in (PA) there is strong possibility they will fine tooth comb a rig like this, even if your not hauling drugs. Because they'll have to justify the large police presence when they full on treat you like you are a trafficker. I imagine there are other states out there that are gonna do the same.

RE: Moving Home - RocketScott - 02-07-2021

The truck is a '89 Peterbilt 379, Cummins 444xt, Eaton Fuller 18 speed. When I first bought it 6 years ago I was shocked how bad a lot thing were on it. The company that owned it before really neglected it and did the bare minimum to keep it legal

I've completely rewired the engine from scratch, about half the chassis, replaced all the lighting except for the tail lights (on my list), completely rebuilt the wedge brakes on the front (it looked like they hadn't worked in years)... Way too much to list all the things I've done to it. It's in the best shape it's been in a long time

There are a few things that I need to address. I'll post up some pictures when I get a chance so you guys can point out what you see needs work, that's why I started this thread. I appreciate everyone's opinion here. I'm a member of the ATHS but their forum is pretty dead

One thing on my list:
I can't find a good explanation on how to measure tread depth for my drive tires. The regs say 'major groove' but I have off highway tires. There's no groove running around the circumference of the tires

JMBT nailed it. The laws are absolutely a crazy double standard. I'm more worried about grandpa driving the massive RV and trailer than I am about myself getting home safely though