Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Need help, CM-870 EGR tuneup - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Need help, CM-870 EGR tuneup (/showthread.php?tid=7076)

Need help, CM-870 EGR tuneup - Waterloo - 02-23-2021

Helping my buddy out here with his new Volvo with a very nice and healthy CM-870 with 540,000 miles on the odometer.

I told him when things thaw out to bring it over to the house, the neighbors should still be gone...

We need to do an overhead, drain and flush the coolant system, replace some of the metal coolant lines, pull the EGR valve and clean it up, etc... He paid $16,000 for this baby, financed $7000.

[attachment=7559]

[attachment=7560]

My question, what sensors does this motor have? I know about the altitude sensor, is there an iMap or Exhaust back pressure sensor, etc? Which EPA sensors does he have, and what are they called?

I told him when we have the top off, let's replace the Jake harness, the cam and crank timing sensors, oil pressure/temp, thermostat, go through it and do it once and right.

This guy has had such terrible luck mechanically with trucks that it is not funny. Bad luck just follows him around, and he can wrench and weld, he is not one of those guys, he is McGyver's son if you ask me, welding with battery cables and coat hangers to get his truck back on the road?

I told him to buy this truck, after seeing the photos I posted. He is happy so far, other than the fuel tank issue, still working on that.

Quickserve, my account is loaded with EINs, and it will take who knows how long to clean it out. I know my friend can do this, but I'm just sitting here and volunteered my services to help him out with the part numbers, etc...

And not looking for part numbers, just which sensors regarding the EGR system, nothing off the wall...

RE: Need help, CM-870 EGR tuneup - tree98 - 02-23-2021

Why not just demandate it? 870's like to eat EGR valves pretty frequently for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's got all the same sensors on the engine as the 871.No outlet nox behind the turbo though.

RE: Need help, CM-870 EGR tuneup - marek4792 - 02-23-2021

No Imap on an 870 the intake manifold has two separate sensors for boost and temperature. The egr differential pressure sensor and tubes are behind the ifsm kinda a pita to get to. Exhaust pressure sensor is at the tstat housing and that's pretty much it.

RE: Need help, CM-870 EGR tuneup - Waterloo - 02-23-2021

(02-23-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  Why not just demandate it? 870's like to eat EGR valves pretty frequently for some reason. I'm pretty sure it's got all the same sensors on the engine as the 871.No outlet nox behind the turbo though.

I can see a de-mandate in its future, I told the owner to wait for now, let's get this thing fixed up and then we can hopefully do it remotely here in my driveway. Or, get him down to Jerry. Truck is really running very good, other than the fuel tanks, 7+ mpg... I called the Volvo dealer and found a parts guy that actually knows the truck and the CM-870, it sounds like the crossover on the transmission. He has checked everything, pulled the valves, etc... The only thing left is that valve, it is $88 and in stock.