Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Just bought my first truck - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Just bought my first truck (/showthread.php?tid=8088)

Just bought my first truck - MotherTrucker - 03-07-2022

Unfortunately, I found this forum AFTER I bought the truck, so please no hate ;) I’ve been driving for almost 4 years. I bought a truck in Jan. It’s a 2008 W9 with a demandated ISX (I believe that makes it a 871). I’ve spent hours on here reading about the engine and the delete…it’s not a good one. It has a BW turbo and an after market manifold. The truck runs well so far (and so far as I can tell) but I know the turbo is a sign of a bad delete. I’m not the most mechanical person out there, and a lot of what’s discussed here is over my head…so here’s my current issue. The jakes suck. I’ve read on here that can be a direct result of the non-VGT turbo. Can I replace the BW with a VGT? Where’s the best place to get one? Do I need to do the manifold too? Should I just bring it to one of the gurus on here and have them fix whatever garbage has been done to it or is this something I can work with my local guy on? I’m on the road now, and am more than willing to catch a load towards any location if that’s what you all recommend. And if I’ve missed sharing any pertinent information, please let me know. Thanks in advance for the advice!

RE: Just bought my first truck - Rawze - 03-07-2022

Sounds like you bought into an abused engine for sure. That is never a good thing... and your troubles.. and any progressive damage to the engine internally due to that type of abuse is likely unknown at this point.

U can get a VGT turbo from YTS ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7407&pid=65315#pid65315

They have a decent price compared to the stealers$its.. is one of the very few recommended places to get a turbo from that is not an OEM shop.

and yeah... the CM871 manifold will have to go back onto it for the VGT turbo to fit.

The next question, is "was the egr cooler removed or blocked off?... because that is a big issue too if it has been.. and what about the exhaust system?. is straight-piped< or is it hollowed out 100% too?.. or some half-arssed thing?

As far as the programming goes.. it really is not that hard to straighten out. A cheap laptop and a data-link adapter (an inline-6) chineesuim adapter off flea bay or from obd2.com etc.. for about $300 bucks or so is all someone needs. The stuffs needed to fix it right and straighten out bad de-mandate programming is easy enough to to get a hold of and get done (free usually) if are able to successfully follow some step-by-step instructions on how to copy your program in/out of the ecm on your own.

That or to get with one of the couple people on here that can be trusted to do it for ya.. but it being a CM871.. I would recommend doing it for yourself.

=====

sad part is that some poor bas$tard likely paid big$$$ damn dollars for that complete hack-n-slash.. upwards of like $12k I have seen some people get raped in the arsse for,.. for that borg-weener garbage and half-arssed delete. It is also likely that the person who had this done was snowballed into thinking they were doing something good to the engine. - that is the worst part of it.. because trash-can mods like that are nothing but an engine killing rip-off at its finest!.

RE: Just bought my first truck - MotherTrucker - 06-02-2022

(03-07-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  Sounds like you bought into an abused engine for sure. That is never a good thing... and your troubles.. and any progressive damage to the engine internally due to that type of abuse is likely unknown at this point.

U can get a VGT turbo from YTS ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7407&pid=65315#pid65315

They have a decent price compared to the stealers$its.. is one of the very few recommended places to get a turbo from that is not an OEM shop.

and yeah... the CM871 manifold will have to go back onto it for the VGT turbo to fit.

The next question, is "was the egr cooler removed or blocked off?... because that is a big issue too if it has been.. and what about the exhaust system?. is straight-piped< or is it hollowed out 100% too?.. or some half-arssed thing?

As far as the programming goes.. it really is not that hard to straighten out. A cheap laptop and a data-link adapter (an inline-6) chineesuim adapter off flea bay or from obd2.com etc.. for about $300 bucks or so is all someone needs. The stuffs needed to fix it right and straighten out bad de-mandate programming is easy enough to to get a hold of and get done (free usually) if are able to successfully follow some step-by-step instructions on how to copy your program in/out of the ecm on your own.

That or to get with one of the couple people on here that can be trusted to do it for ya.. but it being a CM871.. I would recommend doing it for yourself.

=====

sad part is that some poor bas$tard likely paid big$$$ damn dollars for that complete hack-n-slash.. upwards of like $12k I have seen some people get raped in the arsse for,.. for that borg-weener garbage and half-arssed delete. It is also likely that the person who had this done was snowballed into thinking they were doing something good to the engine. - that is the worst part of it.. because trash-can mods like that are nothing but an engine killing rip-off at its finest!.

Thanks for the response. I ended up taking the truck the Mr Hag…I was ready for the worst, but he said it actually wasn’t too bad. The peace of mind alone was worth the (very reasonable) bill…plus the office girls are a hoot!