Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Inframe vs. new crate motor? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Inframe vs. new crate motor? (/showthread.php?tid=8180)

Pages: 1 2

Inframe vs. new crate motor? - JMBT - 04-26-2022

Hello all, 2012 CM2250 880,000 miles. Just pondering out loud. Has anyone weighed the pros and cons of an inframe vs. a complete new, not rebuilt, crate motor??

The crate motor seems like a good value with all the included new parts. ECM, turbo, injectors,…etc.

My brother just bought a new CM2250 crate in KS for about $38,000. Of course that is installing it himself.

I don’t know? But I am drawing ever closer to having to do one or the other and I keep hearing horror stories here in the Midwest about parts availability for an inframe. Namely a new head. Talked to a guy that have been waiting since Nov, for a brand new 2250 head??

What do you guys think?

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - Waterloo - 04-27-2022

(04-26-2022 )JMBT Wrote:  Hello all, 2012 CM2250 880,000 miles. Just pondering out loud. Has anyone weighed the pros and cons of an inframe vs. a complete new, not rebuilt, crate motor??

The crate motor seems like a good value with all the included new parts. ECM, turbo, injectors,…etc.

My brother just bought a new CM2250 crate in KS for about $38,000. Of course that is installing it himself.

I don’t know? But I am drawing ever closer to having to do one or the other and I keep hearing horror stories here in the Midwest about parts availability for an inframe. Namely a new head. Talked to a guy that have been waiting since Nov, for a brand new 2250 head??

What do you guys think?

From past experiences here, on this forum, the crate motors are hit and miss. Normally there are liner height issues, and quite honestly, very sloppy rebuilds. Cummins is doing a terrible job with their remans.

Myself, having been down this road pondering the same question, I would take the truck to Mr Hagg and let his crew rebuild it properly and call it a day. The job will be done right, the first time. Been there too... Then have Mr Hagg tune the motor so that you will get the best fuel economy and longevity out of it. You will have a million mile motor, just keep an eye on the fuel pump.

If you need a new turbo for some reason, YTS is right down the street from the shop. Other parts you find needing replacement, Mr Hagg can get those for you, and install them properly. Or, start purchasing those parts now, like say the damper, maybe a new exhaust manifold, ECM, oil pump, those parts that do fail with wear and age... It is going to be apart, buy them prior and install when it is time to do the in frame.

Also, I don't know if Mr Hagg still allows this, you can grab a wrench and save some dollars by helping with the job.

Just my .02

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - tree98 - 04-27-2022

Isn't a "crate" motor factory brand new just like what you get in a new truck? I don't think they are remans are they? If they are new they wouldn't have the liner height problem that's been seen in the short blocks, buy would still have the factory low liner height.

The cost is quite high though, I think you could get it rebuilt at Mr haggs for thousands less than the cost you mentioned.

I'm pretty sure they are shipping rebuilt engines out now, so maybe call them and see if they have your cpl. If so, they could build it for you and send it to you ready to drop in. I'm not sure how they handle the core but I'm guessing you send it back in the crate they sent you? Maybe call over there and get some info.

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - hhow55 - 04-27-2022

No crate motor for me
Mr Hagg is the man

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - Yauchout - 04-27-2022

I just went through this mostly because Mr Hagg could not get to my truck for months because he was backed up.. I opted to inframe it myself not because of the cost but because the factory reman didnt address the liner height issues, a potentially inconsistent head torque compared to if you follow the rawze torque procedure, plus the fact i would likely still have to shim the oil pump and a few other minor reasons. just some things to think about

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - JMBT - 04-27-2022

Thanks guys I appreciate the info! That is the kind of stuff I was looking for. If I go with the crate it is brand new, NOT a reman, if I inframe I will do it myself at home, but maybe I could order all the parts from Mr. Hagg, once I have it torn down and see what I need.
Mr Hagg is a great guy and has a wonderful crew. Between him and Rawze they are the only two reasons this thing is still trucking at 880k. Most 2250 pop before half a million I am told!

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - JMBT - 04-27-2022

I was just considering the NEW crate motor because, if I inframe mine I will still have an ECM, injectors, EGR cooler….etc. with 880k on them. And then 500k on the turbo, 500k on the vibe dampener. 500k on the fuel pump, and on and on…. I just don’t know… it would be nice to reset the clock on everything back to NEW…..???

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - Rawze - 04-27-2022

(04-27-2022 )JMBT Wrote:  ...
Between him and Rawze they are the only two reasons this thing is still trucking at 880k. Most 2250 pop before half a million I am told!

Yes they often fail at about half a million on them or so ... but usually because they have been lugged to death with too tall of rear ends. That or abuse/neglect of some sort.

Otherwise, if they are cared and driven properly.. it is more like the 900k mile (or equivalent engine hours) range... many of them making it as far as 1.1 mil+ if they are babied for fuel +mileage, driven right without lugging them up every hill below 1500rpm, properly de-mandated with the official 'MM' style programming, and oil changed as recommended by MPG and not just a regular miles interval.

it can be done.. it can be repeated.. there is no need or excuse to torture this more expensive, more modern equipment. There is not much moneys in ignoring it and then hoping for the best, but to instead.. do everything right as much as possible.. so that you are not running off to a shop every 3 or 4 years, rebuilding it at half the cost of a new one.

just my thoughts.

RE: Inframe vs. new crate motor? - tree98 - 04-27-2022

(04-27-2022 )JMBT Wrote:  I was just considering the NEW crate motor because, if I inframe mine I will still have an ECM, injectors, EGR cooler….etc. with 880k on them. And then 500k on the turbo, 500k on the vibe dampener. 500k on the fuel pump, and on and on…. I just don’t know… it would be nice to reset the clock on everything back to NEW…..???

Yea, very true....