Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
EGT Gauge - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Things that may help others... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: EGT Gauge (/showthread.php?tid=8297)

EGT Gauge - Mrkentee - 06-27-2022

[attachment=8445]The old clamped on manifold temp gauge wasn’t cutting it anymore. It’s been about 100° low for a while. But lately was getting worse. I ordered a new one, and it’s quite different from that old style. So the only thing to do was drill a hole, and put it in the stream. I actually like it better this way. I guess I could’ve put it before the turbo, because it’s pretty beefy. But I just didn’t wanna do all that, and worry about it breaking anyway.

RE: EGT Gauge - Rawze - 06-27-2022

looks good

RE: EGT Gauge - JimT - 07-07-2022

so, comparing old location to new location, how will that affect the readings and how they apply to measuring the heat soak and subsequently our driving habits? I'm asking for better understanding and because I (or maybe other people) might consider doing the same.

RE: EGT Gauge - JMBT - 07-07-2022

I would think “in” the exhaust stream in that location would read considerably higher, but that’s just a guess.

RE: EGT Gauge - Nostalgic - 07-07-2022

(07-07-2022 )JMBT Wrote:  I would think “in” the exhaust stream in that location would read considerably higher, but that’s just a guess.

I moved mine closer to the turbo like that and noticed higher temp readings than what I was used to seeing. Then they hit 1050 pretty easy, and then on the last trip coming home empty it went 1050, 1100, 1200, 1888, and 2211 before it quit. Never had a probe die before, but for whatever reason, mine did. Due to where my "rust band" in the turbo paint is, I'm skeptical that even the 1050 readings were correct because the turbo is obviously not running hot.

RE: EGT Gauge - Rawze - 07-08-2022

reminds me of this old post....
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=471&pid=3549#pid3549