Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
DD15 emissions system maintenance - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: CAT, Detroit, and Other engine related Help... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=72)
+--- Thread: DD15 emissions system maintenance (/showthread.php?tid=8328)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - Bengy88 - 07-20-2022

(07-20-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
(my rant against the OEM's)...
--- and THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG with these goddam$mn OEM repair shops!. - They put out the fire only enough to get the check engine lights to go out and shove someone out the door!. Never addressing the underlying causes of anything any more.. and then the truck owner suffers all the wasted time, moneys, missed loads, customers that are piss#edd off, and repeating failures that mostly can be avoided by simply taking the time to do the extra steps to actually "fix and service everything related" along with the initial issue.

You are 100% correct. I worked at dealerships for 10 years and you would be surprised at the shady shi#t that they do just to get their efficiency up. There are very few guys there that actually care about their work and the customer. Very few of us were actually willing to take the extra steps to prevent excess damage or future breakdowns. I was raised to know that I have to live off of my name the rest of my life and these guys were apparently never taught that or could care less because they are just in it for a paycheck, and that’s how the entire dealership usually works. It’s all about numbers, screw the customer, if the repair last a few months and the damage shows up somewhere else that’s just job security to them. And that’s what you pay 150+ an hour for. 90% of employees at dealerships are beginners with very little experience and absolutely no care in the world.

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - DVT873 - 07-21-2022

Once we have the cans off for whatever reason we always run the engine. If possible we take it around the block in our semi rural area. We want to see what the unfitered exhaust looks like. About half the time there is visible smoke. Big problem with the DPF's is they hide that. They are filtering, thats their job. Need to track down the sorce. Usually plugged EGRDP sensor ports and suspect EGR valve. Fix that, replace sensors, (the EGR tuneup per Rawze) clean the cans and back on the road. Normally trouble free after that for quite a while. I will say that on 6.7 ISB's 10,000 hours is usually it for the injectors. They will overfuel, not spray right etc. Testing is very iffy IMHO especially at those hours.

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - DVT873 - 07-21-2022

(07-19-2022 )Redland1 Wrote:  My brother owns a Western Star 4900 hydrovac truck that has a DD15.It has check engine lights come up all the time and goes into a 55 mph lean mode.He doesn’t have the software or hardware to check out the codes and honestly I don’t even know what he would need since I have a Cummins.From what I have read on it on here DD tuning is garbage and should be avoided.So is there emission system tune up’s for it like Cummins? And if there is are there any videos like the one Rawze does for Cummins?
Daimler is a PIA to find service info for UNLESS you register. Then it is all free. Link is here

https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freightliner.com/content/public/FleetCustomerVehicleOwnerRegistrationForm.html

Only catch is the truck or trucks have to be in your name AND in Daimlers warranty data base. Doesn't matter how old it is. There is usually a warranty adminstrator in the dealership. Since they get shi#t on from all sides by everybody it is amazing what a few kind words will do. They can input your VIN. AT MOST they might want to see the title. Once your in all the info you could ever need is there. If your dealer won't do that there is an 800 number on the front page of the website.

The software, DiagnosticLink is sold Nexiq and supported by them. Neziq has been sold to SnapOn. AFIK you have to register, no charge, to even see pricing. The software and the service info are password protected. I have NOT been able to use the same UN and Password for both. On top of all that they force you to change PW every 3 months or so. A major PIA. The only upside is the password support phone numbers are manned by native engish speskers and are usually very easy to contact. They get you reset in minutes.

https://diagnosticlink.nexiq.com/DTNA/Default.aspx Other sellers also but if you have problems you end up talking to Nexiq.

It is all a major PIA but if you want info it is one way to get it. For a lot of the info including accurate wiring about the only way.

BTW Redland did you get your A/C fixed?

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - tree98 - 07-22-2022

Diagnostic link is the Detroit software but what program do you need for western star chassis? Jpro will probably work for most things but what do you need for flashing cab controller's etc. ?

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - Bengy88 - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  Diagnostic link is the Detroit software but what program do you need for western star chassis? Jpro will probably work for most things but what do you need for flashing cab controller's etc. ?

Westernstar is built by Daimler so it uses diagnostic link as well, ain’t nothing but a glorified freightliner.

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - Colter - 07-22-2022

(07-22-2022 )tree98 Wrote:  Diagnostic link is the Detroit software but what program do you need for western star chassis? Jpro will probably work for most things but what do you need for flashing cab controller's etc. ?

All parameter changes and software updates can all be done depending on DDDL level, some changes do require a factory code or a backdoor password

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - Redland1 - 07-24-2022

(07-21-2022 )DVT873 Wrote:  ...
BTW Redland did you get your A/C fixed?
On my A/C I’m still running the compressor with a switch until this oilfield job wraps up and I can dig into it and figure out what the heck went wrong.

As far as the DD my bro is leaning towards a demandate even though I told him that there aren’t any good DD tuners out there.But he rather the truck not have a derate so he can service his customers 7 days a week than chase emissions issues.I was hoping he would go the route of maintaining instead of a demandate,but I get his truck is used strictly for oilfield work and doesn’t rack up miles but instead hours while the hydrovac side of the truck is working at 1500 RPM and the truck is stationary.

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - RollinCoal - 07-25-2022

(07-20-2022 )Bengy88 Wrote:  
(07-20-2022 )Rawze Wrote:  ...
(my rant against the OEM's)...
--- and THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG with these goddam$mn OEM repair shops!. - They put out the fire only enough to get the check engine lights to go out and shove someone out the door!. Never addressing the underlying causes of anything any more.. and then the truck owner suffers all the wasted time, moneys, missed loads, customers that are piss#edd off, and repeating failures that mostly can be avoided by simply taking the time to do the extra steps to actually "fix and service everything related" along with the initial issue.

You are 100% correct. I worked at dealerships for 10 years and you would be surprised at the shady shi#t that they do just to get their efficiency up. There are very few guys there that actually care about their work and the customer. Very few of us were actually willing to take the extra steps to prevent excess damage or future breakdowns. I was raised to know that I have to live off of my name the rest of my life and these guys were apparently never taught that or could care less because they are just in it for a paycheck, and that’s how the entire dealership usually works. It’s all about numbers, screw the customer, if the repair last a few months and the damage shows up somewhere else that’s just job security to them. And that’s what you pay 150+ an hour for. 90% of employees at dealerships are beginners with very little experience and absolutely no care in the world.

Had a customer bring (limp) his to me after being down 6 months and spending his savings at a stealershit, 14k at the dealer and had to tow it away to another shop, finally got it to me (detroit dd15) had the famous conversion below threashold bullshit.
Dealer aready replaced both nox, def pump, def doser. I looked the data and then checked the miles (848K) on the original 1 box..... told him the 1 box was bad, So we "demandated" it and sure nuff, the inner walls of the 1 box was cracked and broken out so the exhaust was going straight threw the scr ruining it.
Man was out 17k total before he got to me, after I fixed it for 3k hes been making money ever since and will only call me to work on his truck
Carefull with them stealerships

RE: DD15 emissions system maintenance - Redland1 - 07-26-2022

{post removed by rawze. e-amil requests and other perosnal info should have been put into a PM message. }