Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Actuator failure being caused by bad de-mandate tune? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Actuator failure being caused by bad de-mandate tune? (/showthread.php?tid=8802)

Pages: 1 2

Actuator failure being caused by bad de-mandate tune? - BRUDER01 - 03-22-2023

Similar story to many- De-Mandated my 600 ISX last summer using a “reputable” tuning outfit that quite a few other guys in my area had seemed to have decent luck with. Did the physical re/re of filters myself, no cutting or removal of any sensors or harness components.

Fast forward a few months- Turbo and actuator are toast. Replaced- actuator lasts a couple more weeks- fails/ figured it was faulty, installed new one under warranty. Now a couple months latter it fails once again. The more time I spend researching and reading on the site I’m starting to see the trend that it’s more than likely being caused by a poor tune-

Now before I go throw more parts at this thing I would like to find someone who is experienced and willing to have a look at my file and hopefully point me in the direction of someone who can straighten out my tuning problems should that be the issue.

Thanks for any input in advance.

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - Rawze - 03-22-2023

Copy the program from the ecm and e-mail it to me. I will review it and let you know exactly what is in there... good, bad, or downright ugly.

you also did not mention what kind of engine you have. Cm871?. CM2250?. CM2350?.. X15?.

Maybe some other history of things that have been done to it to keep it healthy too.

here is a similar post.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7318&pid=64641#pid64641

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - Mr Hagg - 03-22-2023

Could be a few things for sure bad tuning cause bad turbo. However we find many times theres a issue on the def side with a sensor or something or even bad wiring and just so happens that the j1939 data link to turbo and def tank are the same line. the terminal resistor is on the def tank. Thus if there is any issues there it will cause the tubo to act up. Many times if the code is not blocked it will throw a turbo code for abnormal update rate. when we see that we just relocate the terminal resistor up to the line for the turbo and remove the line going back to def tank.... You can check that with turbo plugged in and back prob the connector to the turbo it should be 12 volts on one pair or wires and 60 ohms on the other set....unplugged the turbo will read 120 ohms and the plug to truck 120 ohms

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - BRUDER01 - 03-22-2023

(03-22-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  Copy the program from the ecm and e-mail it to me. I will review it and let you know exactly what is in there... good, bad, or downright ugly.

you also did not mention what kind of engine you have. Cm871?. CM2250?. CM2350?.. X15?.

Maybe some other history of things that have been done to it to keep it healthy too.

here is a similar post.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7318&pid=64641#pid64641

This is a CM2250, a little more back story- the unit was tuned multiple times last summer before getting it where I felt it was acceptable- the lack of knowledge these tuners had was unreal, quite the disconnect between what they were doing and how it was affecting the truck.
4 months latter out of the blue I start to get a violent turbo bark when under any kind of load. Pulled over, straight into shop. Pulled turbo found excessive wear on veins decided to replace turbo- ran great for one day- starts barking again. Replaced actuator, starts barking again. Replaced exhaust gas back pressure sensor and that seemed to remedy my issues for a couple months- now that new actuator has failed. Time to dig deeper! I sent my file to Rawze just now. Interested to see what he finds.
I will pick up a terminal resistor and install that up line this weekend as well. Thanks for the input much appreciated.

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - BRUDER01 - 03-23-2023

The one other thing I forgot to note is they said I had one of the motors that needs the EGR valve unplugged- see attached pic

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - Rawze - 03-23-2023

(03-23-2023 )BRUDER01 Wrote:  The one other thing I forgot to note is they said I had one of the motors that needs the EGR valve unplugged- see attached pic

Yup.. it is official now ... you might just be dealing with some seriously clueless people there. - Sad indeed. You should not have had to unplug anything in the wiring... and if they had to "try different programs out".. that is another big red flag all in itself there too.

Makes ya feel sorry for everything they might have touched.

The file you sent me was not the actual ECM program. It was something made with the Insite software ... which is useless, as it only contains a few of the truck settings, and not the actual program itself. That Insite software is not able to back up the ecm at all, and its 'ecm backup' feature is mostly nothing but a joke that only backs up a few of the vehicle settings and nothing more.

The 'Calterm' software is needed to make an actual backup of the whole program.

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - Rawze - 03-23-2023

As far as things being unplugged.. you need to check out the wiring harness for proper terminating resistors. Issues like that could be a lot of the trouble with he turbo actuator.. like mr. hag mentioned... and can actually cause actuator failures too.

Here is some more detailed info on that...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=7407&pid=67656#pid67656

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - BRUDER01 - 03-25-2023

(03-22-2023 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Could be a few things for sure bad tuning cause bad turbo. However we find many times theres a issue on the def side with a sensor or something or even bad wiring and just so happens that the j1939 data link to turbo and def tank are the same line. the terminal resistor is on the def tank. Thus if there is any issues there it will cause the tubo to act up. Many times if the code is not blocked it will throw a turbo code for abnormal update rate. when we see that we just relocate the terminal resistor up to the line for the turbo and remove the line going back to def tank.... You can check that with turbo plugged in and back prob the connector to the turbo it should be 12 volts on one pair or wires and 60 ohms on the other set....unplugged the turbo will read 120 ohms and the plug to truck 120 ohms

When you’re referring to the “plug” are you talking about the weather pack connector on the intake side?

RE: Actuator failure being caused by bad delete tune? - BRUDER01 - 03-25-2023

(03-23-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  
(03-23-2023 )BRUDER01 Wrote:  The one other thing I forgot to note is they said I had one of the motors that needs the EGR valve unplugged- see attached pic

Yup.. it is official now ... you might just be dealing with some seriously clueless people there. - Sad indeed. You should not have had to unplug anything in the wiring... and if they had to "try different programs out".. that is another big red flag all in itself there too.

Makes ya feel sorry for everything they might have touched.

The file you sent me was not the actual ECM program. It was something made with the Insite software ... which is useless, as it only contains a few of the truck settings, and not the actual program itself. That Insite software is not able to back up the ecm at all, and its 'ecm backup' feature is mostly nothing but a joke that only backs up a few of the vehicle settings and nothing more.

The 'Calterm' software is needed to make an actual backup of the whole program.

Trying to get a copy of this file through CT to send you, hitting a road block when I go to select ECFG file. None listed- any suggestions?