Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Crankshaft Balance Ring? - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: ISX Related Help (/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Thread: Crankshaft Balance Ring? (/showthread.php?tid=8987)

Pages: 1 2

Crankshaft Balance Ring? - marek4792 - 07-04-2023

Just past 500k so it's damper time if I can find one through all this backorder bs definitely not aftermarket either... Reference
but anyway, has anyone used those balance rings (looks like a centramatic for wheels) in concurrence with a new OEM damper, or even factory installed damper noticed any measurable improvement in feel that isn't a placebo effect?

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - Mrkentee - 07-05-2023

(07-04-2023 )marek4792 Wrote:  Just past 500k so it's damper time if I can find one through all this backorder bs definitely not aftermarket either... Reference
but anyway, has anyone used those balance rings (looks like a centramatic for wheels) in concurrence with a new OEM damper, or even factory installed damper noticed any measurable improvement in feel that isn't a placebo effect?

I got a Vibratech through Pittsburgh Power. I also have the balancer. I could not swear under oath that it does anything much. Maybe, maybe not. Figured it can’t hurt.

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - Pd6cas2 - 07-05-2023

(07-05-2023 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(07-04-2023 )marek4792 Wrote:  Just past 500k so it's damper time if I can find one through all this backorder bs definitely not aftermarket either... Reference
I agree and have the exact same parts on My engine, hard to tell the difference if balancer works!
I got a Vibratech through Pittsburgh Power. I also have the balancer. I could not swear under oath that it does anything much. Maybe, maybe not. Figured it can’t hurt.

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - SquareOne - 07-05-2023

(07-04-2023 )marek4792 Wrote:  ...but anyway, has anyone used those balance rings (looks like a centramatic for wheels) in concurrence with a new OEM damper, or even factory installed damper noticed any measurable improvement in feel that isn't a placebo effect?

What would be the reason for additional balance ring if you had a proper balancing OEM damper?

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - marek4792 - 07-05-2023

That's what I'm curious about.

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - Nilao - 07-05-2023

(07-05-2023 )SquareOne Wrote:  What would be the reason for additional balance ring if you had a proper balancing OEM damper?

Although often referred to as the harmonic balancer, because our Cummins is internally balanced (the crankshaft itself being balanced), the damper on our engines does not balance the engine. It damps harmonic vibrations and, as such, is a harmonic damper.

I doubt they balance them to blueprint specs anyways so there could be some, not much, benefit to a balance ring. It'd be more noticeable at high revs.

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - Rawze - 07-05-2023

If someone wants to know the correct answer...

With an OEM, perfectly healthy crank shaft damper installed... Put a glass of water on top of the engine cover and record the vibrations in it for about 10 minutes (at varying set rpm points) with engine fully warmed up. Install the after-market one and record it the same way at the same rpm set points. Compare the average in each of the videos.

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - Nostalgic - 07-05-2023

If anyone wants to buy me one, I'm willing to test.

RE: Crankshaft Balance Ring? - RollinCoal - 07-06-2023

(07-05-2023 )Rawze Wrote:  If someone wants to know the correct answer...

With an OEM, perfectly healthy crank shaft damper installed... Put a glass of water on top of the engine cover and record the vibrations in it for about 10 minutes (at varying set rpm points) with engine fully warmed up. Install the after-market one and record it the same way at the same rpm set points. Compare the average in each of the videos.

Well Said!!