Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more
Welding Peterbilt Y pipe - Printable Version

+- Rawze.com: Rawze's ISX Technical Discussion and more (http://rawze.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Big Truck Technical Discussion... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Pete & KW related Help... (/forumdisplay.php?fid=70)
+--- Thread: Welding Peterbilt Y pipe (/showthread.php?tid=9012)

Welding Peterbilt Y pipe - Nerv - 07-19-2023

The Y pipe on the DEF side of my 2014 peterbilt 388 has cracked right in the centre, instead of replacing it $$$$, i have it setup to weld as its cracked perfectly in the Y center. Ive heard so many different procedures on welding on trucks, now im wondering what the best protection is for the ECM and electrical components is. #1. Disconnect negative battery cable. Or #2 hook up surge protector to positive and negative on battery? I have the ground for the welder setup maybe 7 inches or so from the crack on one of the exhaust clamp bolts. What do you guys think?

RE: Welding Peterbilt Y pipe - Rawze - 07-19-2023

Safest thing would be to weld it with it off the truck. Other than that, just make sure you have a good ground very close to where you are going to be welding, and that there is a second ground to the frame as well from the pipe near the welding area.

I have also heard of people putting 2 grounds form their welder on either side of the area to weld too.