Isx mystery piece
07-24-2024, (Subject: Isx mystery piece ) 
Isx mystery piece
Just got isx head back from machine shop and this heavy washer came along with it. I don't recall seeing anything like it. Any ideas what it is or where it belongs?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Isx mystery piece
yeah... throw the head away and go get a brand new OEM head. Stop wasting moneys on a re-worked garbage head that will only last about 3-4 years, and then have to come off it again to the cost of $10,000+ all over again.

here is what should have happened...
ref: https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?...6#pid70606

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Reworked head is garbage from before. The metallurgy will never be the same and just cause another headache down the road. Stick with new OEM.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
07-25-2024, (Subject: Isx mystery piece ) 
(07-24-2024 )Rawze Wrote:  yeah... throw the head away and go get a brand new OEM head. Stop wasting moneys on a re-worked garbage head that will only last about 3-4 years, and then have to come off it again to the cost of $10,000+ all over again.

here is what should have happened...
ref: https://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?...6#pid70606

The backstory on why i chose to reuse it...This head was new about 200k miles ago, which was put on when it was inframed due to dropped liner(800,000 miles, first rebuild). i had verified with the shop that the liner protrusion would be to your recommended spec, and i had assumed they would know its common knowledge to replace front gear housing gasket also.(which they didnt do).

So thats what the truck was in the shop for(gear housing gasket) and when my coworker was reinstalling the rocker shafts apparently didnt have a valve bridge seated properly when he torqued it, and bent the #3 exhaust valves and cracked the valve guides,(which is what it was at the machine shop for).

This is truck is considered a spare, and is only run a couple days a week for local work, so we decided well take the risk on reusing the head.

Would you still have recommend replacing the head in this case?
And im assuming this extra piece was some type of tooling from the machine shop or something from another engine that mistakenly got put with mine, everyone is saying its not an isx part anyway...
replyreply
07-25-2024, (Subject: Isx mystery piece ) 
To each their own, but ...

If it were my truck, and I had made that mistake (however unlikely) .. I would have replaced the head again, just to be sure that I did not have problems down the road with leaking valve guide seals, etc.

so the answer would have still been NO!.

Last I checked, ... I would want such a large investment into the future of a $40,000 commercial engine to have ZERO POSSIBLE EXCUSES not to last a full million miles in return for spending all that moneys.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.