Opinion on signature 600
09-09-2024, (Subject: Opinion on signature 600 ) 
Thumbs Up Opinion on signature 600
Hey everybody. What is the general opinion on the signature 600 engine?
I have a 525 n14 that I enjoy both as a driver and mechanic. I also have a ISM.

Just curious if it's loved, hated, or just mediocre by people who have had to work on them.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Opinion on signature 600
It was great decades ago when there was nothing better and fuel was cheap. These days it's just a boat anchor that you can't get reliable injectors for. Its a relic from a by gone era in my opinion.
replyreply
Mr Hag thought i had one, and was relieved when it was discovered the Sig 600 was replaced with a cm570.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
N14 Redtops especially the 525hp hold the same sentiment, great motors when fuel was cheap, now with unreliable injectors and ECM's that can easily brick. I'd like to think a Signature 600 with 870-871 ECM, injector replacements, IFSM, and a VGT would have great potential. Not really financially feasible though.
replyreply
09-10-2024, (Subject: Opinion on signature 600 ) 
Thanks for the input. There's a sig 600 t800 in an upcoming auction, i was debating getting it if it didn't get bid on much, then swap my 11L ism with the 15L sig &18spd. But that's another project i don't NEED to do. The sig runs, but at 25k hrs I'm sure it would need love before being put to work.

My t800 end dump has the ism & 8LL, I love the truck, but it would be nice to have an engine that doesn't have to give me 100% just to do 40mph on flat ground. As much as the little guy has worked so far, I'm sure it will last until I retire or till the rest of the truck decides to retire.
that truck weighs basically 30k empty, this year I started using a pup that I customized (LOVE the super short pup). Pulling out of the pits I'll run it at 100-115k. Hauling off of the jobsite when I stuff both boxes (35cu yd combined) it can be a lot heavier. Luckily it's still the wild west in this area.
Almost all the hauls are under 20 miles,
That truck has moved mountains since I bought it nearly 10 years ago.

The trucks aren't my full time gig anymore, i made the jump from owner-op to general contractor. now I just use them to help get the projects done quicker so I can move the crew to the next site. This year didn't have any material heavy jobs. The end dump clocked almost 800 hrs of run time this season, the semi maybe 400-500.

I just need 5000-10,000 hrs of run time over the next 10 years, then the 2 old rigs can blow up if they want to.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
09-10-2024, (Subject: Opinion on signature 600 ) 
My t800 end dump has the ism & 8LL, I love the truck, but it would be nice to have an engine that doesn't have to give me 100% just to do 40mph on flat ground.

Perhaps going with low ratio rear axle...........I once had a dump truck with 5:29 rears and was very pleased with it's performance. And it was powered with a Cummins L9.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
09-11-2024, (Subject: Opinion on signature 600 ) 
It's geared to pull anything i "should" be pulling, it will cruise at 55-60 at 1600 rpm. I can't complain about the drivetrain, it's been a great hard workin truck.
There are Just 1 or 2 things in the category of "if I could magically change something "

My other truck would certainly benefit from a different rear end ratio, or trans now that I'm using it to haul dirt more often. It's a 10spd highway truck, prev owner ran dort with it before i bought it. The first one I purchased in my 20s. On Late nights dropping off equipment it sure is nice to zip home at 80. That rig has really long legs.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.