Fuel leaking from ECM
11-09-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
RE: Fuel leaking from ECM
(11-08-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  Snail, I know this was a few years ago, but what ever came of it? Did you still conclude that Speedco flooded it?

- I'm just noticing some slight seepage (nothing dripping...yet) out onto the ecm plug coverings, much like you had in the pic earlier in this thread. Is the cooling plate serviceable or replacement only? Never had it off before. Has just over 500k now.
Wasn't able to confirm anything for sure. Checked everything. It was dry behind ESM, all fuel system parts above this place was dry. Was thinking about oil from breather hose but oil will cover much larder area.
Just reattached ECM harness so it has down loop to keep liquid away from enter the ECM plug.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
11-09-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
I used a borescope to look around and underneath the cooling plate/ecm area. The scope makes it much easier to see areas you otherwise wouldn't see unless it was pulled apart. I do see the seepage more prevalent directly below the plugs, deep inside the recessed area.

- Question to those who have dealt with this issue.... Where do they typically start leaking and is it just a matter of replacing the plate or can they be repaired.
replyreply
11-10-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
On my 2250 the aftertreatment fuel pressure sensor was leaking and making its way to the ecm. Managed to catch it in time i think it can damage the ecm.

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , SquareOne
11-15-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
(11-10-2021 )iceman Wrote:  On my 2250 the aftertreatment fuel pressure sensor was leaking and making its way to the ecm. Managed to catch it in time i think it can damage the ecm.

Pulled the fuel filter and ecm....everything nice and dry behind it. The 2 horizontal plugs on the ecm are unfortunately wetter than Id like to see.

Long story short, looks like the same scenario as ICEMAN. As unlikely as it seems, looks like the fuel traveled within the loom and made it's way to the ecm plugs where it was eventually beginning to leak from the seams of the square plastic cover. Fuel is basically pushing its way through the sensor (I've seen this a handful of times with oil pressure sensors as well). Baffles me how it could make it way to the ecm plug, but thats the only possibility I see.

No one has it in stock around here , plus they want 3 times the amount you can purchase them online plus freight. For the time being, I'm going to wrap the wires from the sensor and position them to keep the fuel from getting to the ecm plugs. Hopefully the sensor comes in by the end of the week.

Iceman, could you confirm the part number? What I'm seeing is 4921519?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-16-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
Exactly how it was on my truck. Happens to be in Griffin at this time, Jerry put dead plug to shut fuel to aftertreatment solenoid. Didn't help. I was running with upper part of the wire loom wrapped in paper towel and plastic film to figure out is fuel coming from inside the loom or it's sprayed from outside. Wasn't sure 100% with the test results. Ended to reattach wires so it has downloop before ECM to keep fuel away from the plugs. it's dripping down before.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , JMBT
11-16-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
(11-16-2021 )snailexpress Wrote:  Exactly how it was on my truck. Happens to be in Griffin at this time, Jerry put dead plug to shut fuel to aftertreatment solenoid. Didn't help. I was running with upper part of the wire loom wrapped in paper towel and plastic film to figure out is fuel coming from inside the loom or it's sprayed from outside. Wasn't sure 100% with the test results. Ended to reattach wires so it has downloop before ECM to keep fuel away from the plugs. it's dripping down before.

Yea, I had actually considered the same ...rather than waste the money on a new sensor. When you look at that sensor on mine, it def has fuel dribbling through. With the camera you could actually see the droplets hanging from the terminals.

I cleaned out the ecm plugs and wiped the harness, but I'm thinking the damn fuel that's in there in just gonna be a pain to get rid of entirely...even with the leak being fixed, there's plenty of places for it to hang around (such as within every damn ridge of the loom!)

I may end up cutting the loom off and replacing once the new sensor comes in. It would be a real PITA, but at least I'd have a clean slate to start from.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
11-22-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
Iceman, could you confirm the part number? What I'm seeing is 4921519?
[/quote]

That's the one.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202111/post_3260_1637633370_925151b95ea0e726c43d0b4b4e53be77.jpg

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne
11-26-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
^^------ Appreciate the response... went on vacation for a week, so didn't notice this till just now. That's the one I ordered. Installed it this morning. Will be taking the maiden voyage on Sunday. Hopefully it will cure the problem as I don't see any other issue.

Will report back after I put some miles down on it.
replyreply
12-19-2021, (Subject: Fuel leaking from ECM ) 
Just as a follow up to this for anyone who may be chasing the same issue. Although it's only been a few weeks and about 7500 miles, the new after-treatment fuel pressure sensor seems to have solved the fuel leaking problem. Both horizontal ECM plugs are staying dry and there are no signs of fuel within the harness. As crazy as it seems that the fuel could travel in such an odd pattern and end up at the ECM plugs, it most def did.

*** If you happen to see any dampness on the outside cases those plugs, chances are there's a good bit of fuel already being held in the recessed areas of the ecm. Be sure to address this immediately in order to prevent this low $$$ repair from becoming thousands.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze , hookliftpete

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.