2002 ISX Cummins Head
05-19-2018, (Subject: 2002 ISX Cummins Head ) 
2002 ISX Cummins Head
Hey guys and gals I need some help with my 2002 ISX Cummins has the injector in the #4 hole go out and it looks like it tore the cup leaking coolant in the hole my wrench says not to put a head on it because the block has 1.6 millions miles on it. Inframe was Done at 1 mill so we’re 650K on it?? Any thoughts?? I was going to get a recon motor in 2 yrs, thank you paul
replyreply
05-20-2018, (Subject: 2002 ISX Cummins Head ) 
RE: 2002 ISX Cummins Head
I would put a reman head on it if your just wanting 2 years out of it. I really don't think the block has a mileage limit for failure. I'm sure rawze will chime in on how long a block can theoretically be used.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Block life span has less to do with mileage than it does with torque/work loads.
If you're moving multi trailers in Oz or pulling multi axles O/W in NA the life span will be less than it would be for an atypical 80k 5axle freight hauler.
In order to have >1.6m on an '02, you are running too consistently to be an M/A OS/OW runner, so I wouldn't worry about the block much.

Do like Nilao says and put a genuine Cummins reman on and keep in truckin.
When you're due for your next rebuild, then yard the block out and send it in to be crack tested. I wouldn't discard a block just because...

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , hhow55 , Rawze
Another vote for reman cylinder head here.

Do not send your head somewhere to have the injector sleeves replaced unless they are known for doing it well. I've seen several repeat failures after machine shops have replaced or re-sealed ISX injector sleeves.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Rawze
Thanks!!
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.