Ticking or Rattling noise In CYL #1
06-12-2018, (Subject: Ticking or Rattling noise In CYL #1 ) 
Ticking or Rattling noise In CYL #1
Just bought the Truck, Runs Great, I drove it home from Nashville to FL. It has an Excessive amount of Valve noise is the only Way I can Describe it. It is Defiantly in cylinder Number 1.Or in the Timing gear train. The noise is up top, Not in the pan, Nor even on the side of the engine block. I swapped injectors from 1 to 6, Same noise and it didn't move to Number 6. Running the Rack now but It doesn't Seem to be out enough for the amount of Noise. Wrist Pin? If I drop the pan will I see a lock pin? Not sure where to go from Here. But I have 7 Other trucks (4 871s and 3 2250) and I know that this isn't normal, Id Rather Eat it now than on the road.

2012 Pete 386
2250 ISX Cummins.
replyreply
RE: Ticking or Rattling noise In CYL #1
Broken cam gear retainer?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tbrink54 , Waterloo
How would I isolate it?

I did run the Rack, Exhaust side was off but not much. If you have a Long thin Screw Driver, Go to the Bottom of the head under the valve cover you cant hear hardly any thing, The farther forward on the Rocker shaft to the Front cover the louder it gets. Again most people wouldn't know there was something wrong.

Cam gear Retainer? As far as I knew it is more or less pressed on and lock tight. I will say after I your question, I did go bar the engine more, back and forth, there is play, But the all have some. I hear you can get noise if there is too much but never hear it could knock, or Tick. Is it possible that the play is causing the cam to snap around and and just clink when the gears re-mesh?
replyreply
jake rockers? Spun cam bearing?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tbrink54
Usually you can see when a cam Bearing spins, the cam housing will be dark and discolored, this on is clean, No signs of that.

The detent in the Jake brake is good and strong, it is also the same as the other ones, feels and looks, I check the Lash, {I have the tool} it is very close.
replyreply
I wonder if one of the gears in the front structure are not the source of the noise. I had a split gear in my CM-871 on the injector cam. It had the pre-load springs on it and they were all lose rattling around, the gear had skipped a tooth. Also, no Loc-Tite 609 was used on the tapered end of either of the camshafts. We replaced that split gear with a solid gear. I know you have the single cam 2250, but still would be worth checking, along with the gear lash.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tbrink54
Easy pull valve cover to check rockers. Check detent in all jake rockers. Have saw several that the detent spring was broken in jake rocker or the shaft it self was worn pretty good. Then you will be able to inspect all rockers and camshaft...
I have taken a wide and long piece of card board and placed on top of head and ran engine with out valve and that will show if its something up top/
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , JMBT
06-13-2018, (Subject: Ticking or Rattling noise In CYL #1 ) 
(06-12-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  I wonder if one of the gears in the front structure are not the source of the noise. I had a split gear in my CM-871 on the injector cam. It had the pre-load springs on it and they were all lose rattling around, the gear had skipped a tooth. Also, no Loc-Tite 609 was used on the tapered end of either of the camshafts. We replaced that split gear with a solid gear. I know you have the single cam 2250, but still would be worth checking, along with the gear lash.

I agree, That is my nest step. I know the Cam Lash is out, I have play when I bar the engine and its more than just the Compressor gear. Ill keep you posted.
replyreply
06-13-2018, (Subject: Ticking or Rattling noise In CYL #1 ) 
(06-12-2018 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Easy pull valve cover to check rockers. Check detent in all jake rockers. Have saw several that the detent spring was broken in jake rocker or the shaft it self was worn pretty good. Then you will be able to inspect all rockers and camshaft...
I have taken a wide and long piece of card board and placed on top of head and ran engine with out valve and that will show if its something up top/

Thank you for your input. I have done everything you suggested already, Like I was saying with the valve cover off, the engine running. you don't hear the noise at the bottom of the Head. you hear it mostly in the valve rocker assembly. The detent on Jake is good. the rockers all have play but just the same as the other ones that don't make noise. I am going to pull the Timing cover today and check out the gear train on the front. Hopefully find some answers.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.