My Pete rebuild
11-10-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
RE: My Pete rebuild
You could have the axle surgeon replace the spindles for $1000 per spindle.
replyreply
He beat me too it ^^^^
And I know it's been said but , protorq,protorq,protorq axel nuts ...

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
Already made my tri-county drive chasing parts and now everyone is closed. Next time the axles are pulled, I'll have protorque nuts to go on.

As for the axle surgeon, if it was just 1 spindle, or even 1 per axle, it would be worth it, but for an extra $2k, I'd rather just put in 2 new axle housings. Wear isn't critical as my original panic, and I'll never let them get neglected to the point that they were, so I went with conmet preloaded hubs.

It's going to be a long night, since I'm replacing and rebushing all of the cams too while I have things apart.

1 prepped, 3 to go.

replyreply
11-21-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
The ice storm last week gave me 4 days without power and some plumbing catastrophes, so I'm still playing catch up.

I don't think these rims have seen polish in all of their 11 years... Started sanding with 80 grit, and ran out of patience when I couldn't get all of the pitting... Maybe they'll smooth out a little more after a few more cuts, but I'm calling it good for now.

Only 5 more to go? I can't tell how many times I was tempted to just buy 6 new high polish Alcoas, but we're penny pinching for the rest of the year thanks to a new house generator.
replyreply
Well those are better anyway. You've got the Peterbilt oval holes.
replyreply
About your headlight issue.... If you look in the owners manual of alot of brand new vehicles, they make reference to condensation being present for the first but then clearing up. They say to give it a week and if it doesn't clear up, replace housing.

Resealing isn't needed... If anything you could add another breather. I do alot of headlight retrofitting so this is something I see often.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
11-23-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
(11-21-2018 )Brock Wrote:  About your headlight issue.... If you look in the owners manual of alot of brand new vehicles, they make reference to condensation being present for the first but then clearing up. They say to give it a week and if it doesn't clear up, replace housing.

Resealing isn't needed... If anything you could add another breather. I do alot of headlight retrofitting so this is something I see often.

With as heavy as it was, it was intrusion, not just condensation. It did evaporate out sitting in the garage for 4-5 days, but now that it's back out side, it's wet again, and I even taped over the top edge... It's ok, Raney's has good customer service - a new one is on it's way.
replyreply
11-25-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
It seems like everything happens 2 weeks AFTER I plan on doing it. Finally got the headache rack in, spun around and put on the lift so I could back under it.

When I took the straps off that was holding it to the lift arms, I realized how top heavy it was as it teetered around while we pushed the truck back the last few inches and lowered it down.

Polishing the sides before it went on was easy - 45 minutes or so and both side were cut and polished, compared to the 6 or so hours each cruddy wheel stole from me.

I didn't jump on the Hankook tires when I had the chance, and didn't realize how goofy supply was on truck tires. I've been shopping around for what's in stock and narrowed it down to either Roadmaster 275A, Bridgestone 726 EL or 710 Ecopias, but wow what a price spread...
replyreply
12-02-2018, (Subject: My Pete rebuild ) 
Friday started out pretty upbeat and exciting. I have a signed lease, a truck number, and the 5th wheel assembly I've been waiting nearly 3 months for finally showed up...

But wait, the sliders and angles are different?

So first I called Peterbilt, while looking at Jost's catalog, the number I needed was JSK 37USL-B8PG18, but they told me oh no, it was superseded by JSK 37USL-U8PG18. So I called Jost, and was told, yes, it was superseded, but I could order anything, but they'll be shutting down for Christmas, etc... Like I want to wait another 10 weeks?

So I reserve myself to making it work and spending most of the weekend cutting and drilling, but nope. Nada. The new angles are 3" shorter than my old one, and i'd have to drill 4 new holes in my frame, while leaving some existing holes unused. Ok, this might not be a big deal to a lot of people, but I'm not a fan of swiss cheesing my frame. So I decided, f-it, I'll just get a new plate and try to clean this rusted pile of crap up...

The pins weren't as bad as I though they'd be, and nearly every bolt broke off the slide stop brackets, but the hardest part was getting the rust fused brackets off the slide rails.

So, it's not new, but on the bright side, the mess saved me close to $800, while adding a couple of days of needle scaling, wire brushing, and painting...

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.