Low boost PSI
08-08-2018, (Subject: Low boost PSI ) 
Low boost PSI
Alright guys, I have a 09 PETE 386 with an ISX. Had a jumper cable by the cat walk ground itself out and fried my Ecm. Got a new Ecm after I found that was the problem after truck shut down on me in the middle of the highway. The truck is demandated Since I bought it so I had someone program new Ecm so I could get back to work. Ok so, when the truck shut off of on me and it would start randomly after a few attempts of trying to start it and VGT Actuator light kept coming on and of course “stop engine light”. After installing new Ecm truck fired right up and was able to drive it with no fault codes. Problem was I had no power after the new Ecm installation. Took it to a shop and they opened up turbo and said it was fine. They made sure parameters and all were good on the Ecm and also compared it to the fried Ecm(which was still readable when they hooked it up to the laptop). Paid my dues and drove off, still no power but I had to work so I got on the road. I’m not over the road so we drive short distance. Well after 2 months of driving it I started noticing a lot of oil consumption. Opened up air to air piping and found a lot of oil. At this time I was only getting 21-25 psi on my boost gauge and I know that’s how much I was getting because it felt so sluggish. They opened up turbo again and told me it was good and that I didn’t need one and i should go ahead and do a rebuild. I’m so frustrated at this point because I had someone else tell me that my turbo was bad. Please help guys! Thank you and sorry this was so long. Tried to make it to where you understood me as well as possible. Oh and Mechanic swapped VGT’s with different ones and also Ecm and truck ran the same.
replyreply
RE: Low boost PSI
That snds like a big can of worms best suited for haggai. Could be a simple bad program, could be a sensor throwing into silent derate. Not sure of ur specific truck but some cab controllers can sognla the ecm to derate. I personally would call haggai automotive down in GA and talk to him. ASAP
replyreply
If I understood everything right..... you said the positive jumper cable was shorted to the frame.
This can't fry ECM. Set truck fire, yes it can.
Open the battery box and look for black GROUND wires.
One is big going to the starter.
One is about finger in diameter connected to the frame. It is fuseable link. It will burn like a fuse close to the frame end. Hard to notice as wire looks good the link is under shrink tube. You need to pull or twist wire clse to the frame.
replyreply
Yes I heard some sparking and arching after my truck started shutting off on me every time I started it. I removed every battery cable, cleaned every connection, looked for any corroded or broken insulation on wiring, any wires running together, checked all fuses and relays, checked the Ecm fuse that’s in the battery box, checked the relay close to the Ecm, checked everything. After we put the new Ecm and I removed those jumper cables the truck ran fine just the low boost issue and truck has absolutely no fault codes displaying.
replyreply
Smorgan87 I was thinking the same thing, something along the lines of a sensor. Truck ran so good with my old Ecm and not a single spec of oil in the CAC because I installed a new radiator a couple months before the ECM fried on me. Getting well over 30 PSI of boost.
replyreply
Where u located? Do you have cummins software and a data link? I know Unilevers will remote in to ur truck if u have that stuff. cm871 engine i assume?
replyreply
(08-08-2018 )Diablo386 Wrote:  Alright guys, I have a 09 PETE 386 with an ISX. Had a jumper cable by the cat walk ground itself out and fried my Ecm. Got a new Ecm after I found that was the problem after truck shut down on me in the middle of the highway. The truck is demandated Since I bought it so I had someone program new Ecm so I could get back to work. Ok so, when the truck shut off of on me and it would start randomly after a few attempts of trying to start it and VGT Actuator light kept coming on and of course “stop engine light”. After installing new Ecm truck fired right up and was able to drive it with no fault codes. Problem was I had no power after the new Ecm installation. Took it to a shop and they opened up turbo and said it was fine. They made sure parameters and all were good on the Ecm and also compared it to the fried Ecm(which was still readable when they hooked it up to the laptop). Paid my dues and drove off, still no power but I had to work so I got on the road. I’m not over the road so we drive short distance. Well after 2 months of driving it I started noticing a lot of oil consumption. Opened up air to air piping and found a lot of oil. At this time I was only getting 21-25 psi on my boost gauge and I know that’s how much I was getting because it felt so sluggish. They opened up turbo again and told me it was good and that I didn’t need one and i should go ahead and do a rebuild. I’m so frustrated at this point because I had someone else tell me that my turbo was bad. Please help guys! Thank you and sorry this was so long. Tried to make it to where you understood me as well as possible. Oh and Mechanic swapped VGT’s with different ones and also Ecm and truck ran the same.

I would suggest you solve your problems one at a time, starting with having the ECM programming verified or corrected by myself or someone recommended on this forum. There are so many bad programs and bad programmers who claim to be custom tuners/delete shops out there that is it downright scary.

What you say throws up a bunch of red flags right away to me because anyone worth their salt should be able to tell you exactly what that ECM is doing to your engine and when. I know it would not take me 5 minutes on a test drive around the block to tell you things like ...

* What engine mode the ECM is commanding (cold start, warmup, city, highway, high altitude, eetc, etc,etc.).

* What the fuel-air mix is doing

* What managers and systems have control of the fuel air mix, injection timing, fueling, turbocharger and every other thing related to what you are complaining about. It is not voodoo magic.

* Any derates or limiters that have engaged either silent or otherwise, what is commanding the turbocharger, power, torque, etc. and systems, and why.

* What the fueling, torque, power and all the other systems "think" they are doing based on sensor feedback.

* If the engine actually thinks it is making the power / boost, etc. or if it is being held back by anything or any sensor it is reading incorrectly.

* Also you should consider that sometimes a piss poor delete program will usually suppress a lot of fault codes that would normally display. Fault codes for sensors and systems that can directly effect power, torque, air and other things. For all you know, your ECM could be screaming what is wrong or what circuit/sensor it does not like but since the fault codes are all suppressed, it is not reporting anything when you connect to it. I have seen this a lot in the past and am not a believer in suppressing faults like a lot of those bad programs do. Again, looking over someone programming can reveal this quickly.

The list is very long in fact of all the things that can be observed quite easily, I have done that stuff many times with people, showing them exactly what their engine is doing and what they learn about what some so-called custom tuning/delete shop will scare the hell out of them most of the time. -- KNOW what your engine is doing and thinking -- DON'T GUESS AT IT!. That is your first step. For all you know, your engine could be getting stuck in a warm-up, high altitude, or other engine mode it should not be in. It also sounds like the people you have been taking it to are just as clueless.

While you are at it, check those things that will cause boost and power issues. Things like ...

* Making sure the exhaust is not blocked up out of sheer coincidence to your other problems. Many shops only drill out a bunch of small holes into DPF cans and they create back-pressure still that shortens the life of your turbocharger and engine. They can also collapse after a while and create restrictions that reduce boost and power and can destroy an engine.

* Pressurize the entire engine and check it for air and exhaust leaks. Put a pipe plug into the intake just past the air can, and another just past the turbocharger and pressurize the whole engine. You would be surprised the places I have found leaks. The CAC, exhaust manifolds, EGR piping that did not get properly sealed, Sometimes massive air leaks through the air compressor intake to the crank case, -- I.E. -- there are a lot of placed that get missed by mechanics.

* Lastly, if you are getting electrical gremlins into the ECM, even if you do have decent programming, monitoring things properly will reveal where to look.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Signature620 , dhirocz , zero4
08-09-2018, (Subject: Low boost PSI ) 
Thank you Rawze so much! Everything you told me was very informative. I will try to get a hold of a computer today if you will have time today to hook up to my truck. I will reply on here again once I have that computer in my hands.
replyreply
08-09-2018, (Subject: Low boost PSI ) 
(08-09-2018 )Diablo386 Wrote:  Thank you Rawze so much! Everything you told me was very informative. I will try to get a hold of a computer today if you will have time today to hook up to my truck. I will reply on here again once I have that computer in my hands.

I don't do the remote desktop computer thing. If you were in the atlanta area you could stop by and I could help you look at it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.