Rawze's Daily blog...
04-20-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
RE: Rawze's Daily blog...
Don't know about the 871 but I do know the @m*m^2 mandate on my 2250at 200 engine hours is like I put it in from the bottle, (I cannot believe it), also will make a comment on qsx15 tier 4 final engine in a green tractor if you know what I mean, seems to pull gooood, very smooth responsive power, they have a huge turbo on them, not like the trucks, the power curve on the qsx15 is also higher rpm, not really made to lug under 1500 rpm not saying it can't just that the torque does not quite hold as strong at low revs, but it will destroy an isx15 at higher rpm, very quite Moter, even more so then deere's pss 13.5 litre
replyreply
(04-19-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(04-19-2016 )Running rough Wrote:  I believe egr and extended oil drain intervals alone with abusive when the engine is cold were these engines out prematurely

EGR, change the oil every 12,000, 13,000 max. Really bad, every 10,000... The soot these things make is beyond belief. I honestly do not know how these things make it down the road bobtailing it, much less pulling 43,000+ in a van or on a flat bed.

The inside of Rawze's head looks allot better than mine, black as the ace of spades in mine. The rest looks pretty much the same as far as wear goes. The guys in the shop were surprised at how good everything looked, it if was not for the head gasket, i probably had another 200,000 miles on her. But I did need an injector or two... And the lower end done, and... And... And... Screw it, in frame time.

You did right. Why pay for the head removal twice when you can do inframe at the same time.

User's Signature: Cascadia ISX15 CM2350
replyreply
Thanks Simon, and exactly right, I do not want this to be an annual event. My truck can be a big drama queen, time to put her to bed.

And, 900,000 seems to be about the life on these motors with the EGR/DPF system. Hopefully all goes well, and with good care and maintenance she will go well over a million this time around.
replyreply
do u have any picks of the main bearings and the cross hatch in the liners , just curious after that many miles , also how many hrs with that many miles , if truck had a hr meter

Running rough i would like to hear more about that jd with the qsx if u don't mind
replyreply
(04-20-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  do u have any picks of the main bearings and the cross hatch in the liners , just curious after that many miles , also how many hrs with that many miles , if truck had a hr meter

Running rough i would like to hear more about that jd with the qsx if u don't mind

I can get some photos tomorrow, from my observation as a layman they all looked good. The liners were all identical in their crosshatching. None of the liners had dropped according to Jaime, the mechanic. The pistons were good, as were the rings. The motor had just started using oil, about half a gallon at 12,000 miles. The bearings were just showing some wear, but nothing to the point of imminent failure. In fact, the guys in the shop were kind of amazed at how good everything looked, including the cams. The injectors looked like crap, O rings were toast, which explains my black smoke when shifting. And it passed the cylinder cut out test with 5 stars, I did not do a proper leak down test, but I knew I would replace all of the injectors when she went in for the in frame.

But one thing I can tell you, there were signs of SOOT EVERYWHERE! Things in Rawze's motor that are nice and shiny, not talking the bearings or journals, nothing like that, but internal surfaces, are all black as coal in mine. But, the mm was not done until it had went 750,000 +/- miles. Right now, she has roughly 900,000 miles on her.

What I did find, is that the head bolts, a few of them, were severely pitted. That I did find odd, but again, I am a layman at this stuff. I'll get some photos tomorrow, as I have to go up there again.

Hopefully have her back by Friday or Monday... The new turbo is yet to go on, and the fueling system is still off and yet to be rebuilt. Busy shop, and only one mechanic working on the motor per my request. From what I have seen, all looks good and is coming along.

The hours on the motor were low, I wish I could remember! I want to say 14,500. The truck has had a Tri-Pak on her since the time of original sale. But, it was a propane hauler and has idled to run the wet kit. I posted the number on the old site, and was told the hours on the motor were below average for the miles on the truck. Hope this helps.
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
(04-20-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  do u have any picks of the main bearings and the cross hatch in the liners , just curious after that many miles , also how many hrs with that many miles , if truck had a hr meter

I have not pulled my main bearings yet,... going to do that today or tomorrow. All the "visitors" to the shop over there has seriously slowed me down.

I have video footage of everything too,.. and will hopefully be posting it on Youtube as a saga lol.

With so little wear on the rings,.. The liners have almost no wear too. Number 6 got washed out by the slow coolant drip (minor injector cup leak) it had though it was not using oil yet,.. you can just see it on the inside of the liner walls. Most of the crosshatching on that one cylinder is gone.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
04-21-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
(04-21-2016 )Rawze Wrote:  

I have not pulled my main bearings yet,... going to do that today or tomorrow. All the "visitors" to the shop over there has seriously slowed me down.

I have video footage of everything too,.. and will hopefully be posting it on Youtube as a saga lol.

With so little wear on the rings,.. The liners have almost no wear too. Number 6 got washed out by the slow coolant drip (minor injector cup leak) it had though it was not using oil yet,.. you can just see it on the inside of the liner walls. Most of the crosshatching on that one cylinder is gone.

yes antifreeze is the worst thing in the combustion chamber , in our race cars we ran water for that very reason , blow a head gasket get coolant in chamber an u can guarantee its toast
8 new pistons because u need to bore over size , wear as just a head gasket replace .

your valve train is what amazes me well rod bearings also but cam surfaces there wear patterns or lack there of an rollers on cam followers/ rockers . your whole motor just looks so clean inside , reminds me of gasers i have rebuilt an at 100k pull valve cover an still look like new , i run or was at the time running mobile delavac 15 40 am on to the delo 15 40 now in everything , i am sure that that bye pass filter good oil that u run an not letting u oil changes go long besides u @m*m^2 all have contributed to what u have now , that an u guys don't beat on an abuse u truck , i have seen gas engines with more burnt oil an carbon on there pistons with way less miles that what u have there . i still say the isx has to low of oil presser but it seams that gear lube dose wonders so mush so i am going to start adding it to all my engines
cat Detroit international john Deere Perkins ford even my pick up an cars , i usely run my stuff till their's not much left. i have always said good oil an change often is cheep maintenance.
bar that injector cup problem i think u motor would of gone 1.5 m miles with just replacing them cam bearings or normal fuel system wear items . good job rawze more money in your pocket less in others
replyreply
 Thanks given by: LargeCar
04-22-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
Qsx15 for jd tractors, so far I got nothing but good things to say about this engine, it seems to beat out the jd 13.5 litre engine in fuel economy by a good margine, while providing brute pulling power required to pull heavy draft loads like pulling large air seeders up steep hills or deep disk rippers, while I am a big jd fan, I would say I like them even better with a green wax under the hood, nothing against Jd's13.5 litre engine, I think it's good, but I think the cummins is a simpler engine to work on, gets better fuel economy, has better power density at seem power level, has more displacement so theoretically should last longer, not to mention is a pretty quite engine and did I mention, I like it in the trucks especially with @m*m^2 applied,
replyreply
04-25-2016, (Subject: Rawze's Daily blog... ) 
(04-20-2016 )RPM1 Wrote:  do u have any picks of the main bearings ...

Here is pic of the main bearings from left to right. The furthest right bearing was underneath the coolant drip.

./uploads/201604/post_2_1461568578_b38ab8a4eb983304844255aa82f3ea3e.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.