Injector for ISM 500
09-20-2018, (Subject: Injector for ISM 500 ) 
RE: Injector for ISM 500
You can use a Turkey baster with a long plastic tube to suck out any excess fluids from the cylinder. I wouldn't put a new injector in without getting the majority out. But I'm overly cautious about hydrolocking a cylinder.

Typically tips dont get "blocked" they can carbon over and cause the fuel to stream rather than atomize but at 30k+ psi at the tip the don't clog. They can also stick open internally and cause fuel to constantly enter the combustion chamber. But that's usually confirmed by a bubble test.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
If you're going to leave it with the injector out you should drain the coolant. It's unlikely but if the head has a few miles on it, the coolant can start leaking around the injector sleeve without the pressure of the injector there.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Hammerhead
(09-19-2018 )wingover Wrote:  Made a tool to pull the injector out and manage to remove it. I heard some fuel dripping into the cylinder and wondering how (if needed) to get the fuel out of the cylinder?

Should have a new injector from Cummins next week.

Thanks!

Oh dear god, NOOOOO!!!

(09-20-2018 )Signature620 Wrote:  If you're going to leave it with the injector out you should drain the coolant. It's unlikely but if the head has a few miles on it, the coolant can start leaking around the injector sleeve without the pressure of the injector there.

Drain the coolant level below the head immediately, and/or return the injector to installed position as you are begging for trouble!
If you drain the coolant, insert a clean rag to keep any possible contaminants from the cylinder, including the errant dropping of a small tool/bolt/washer/anything. Open cylinders ALWAYS need protections from anything not intended to be introduced!

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
Okay, Nowhere in the manual it talks about draining coolant but I will do it. I did cover the hole with a clean rag.
replyreply
Funny story that happened to me...put a new head on and while I stepped down to get the injectors to put them in s stupid acorn fell down and wedged itself in the bottom of the cup. Just tells you how fast something can mess up you day. Lol
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , wingover , Rawze , snailexpress
09-29-2018, (Subject: Injector for ISM 500 ) 
Got an injector from Cummins and finished installing it. Engine is back to normal and no fault codes. Also updated the ecm with the latest calibration.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Signature620 , Moose , snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.