Cleaning dpf with water??
02-08-2020, (Subject: Cleaning dpf with water?? ) 
RE: Cleaning dpf with water??
(02-08-2020 )Neighbor Wrote:  Believe it or not when I worked at a small stealership, Cummins would wash them out with some type of solution but this was 7 or 8 years ago. After I found that out the Co. quit sending them over there. How I discovered this was I would always blow shop air thru the filter with a blow gun and a crap load of clear liquid would came out the back. I have no idea if they still do this like I said it has been a long time ago.

I have been in a couple of the stealers$its that actually have the proper (very expensive) cleaning machines recommended by the red engine maker.

They use ...

* A heating oven (1300+ degrees I think), to bake them so that it turns all the contaminants into ash.

* they then use a machine with an air-knife and high pressure, dried air to blow out the ash, flipping it over during the process.

* then they inspect it for cracks and damage.

* Then they put it on an air machine to flow-test it.

-- AT NO POINT is there any liquid that can wash the platinum /precious metals out of the canisters, nor does this method attempt to clear out all the holes that are supposed to be blocked off on the back side ... YES, that is right,.. 50% of the DPF element IS SUPPOSED TO BE BLOCKED OFF at the back end of it to assist in trapping soot.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
02-08-2020, (Subject: Cleaning dpf with water?? ) 
I figured this was the case. Those guys spent a lot of money on that machine and they are selling them.
replyreply
02-09-2020, (Subject: Cleaning dpf with water?? ) 
https://www.arrowtruck.com/blog/2016/06/...ilter-dpf/
A interesting article that gives a run down on the filters and the catalyst coating on them and it’s function. I’ve researched this off and on today. This is the only article I could find that even mentions the catalyst of precious metals on the filter.
Also I notice a smaller filter in front of a larger filter. Is this like a catalytic converter in front of the dpf. Maybe it helps keep the dpf hot enough? Just trying to fully understand this system.
replyreply
in an 871 its the DOC that looks similar to the DPF is infront of it DOC helps ignite the fuel. [DOC][DPF][SCR] i believe newer trucks might have 2 DPF cans. and in the new new trucks with the single unit system no idea how it works.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
here is another nice documant about those systems...

https://repositories.lib.utexas.edu/bits...t25834.pdf

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.