Oil Temp Overheating issue
05-12-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
Oil Temp Overheating issue
Hello,
I am having a Oil temperature overheating issue on my 2008 cm871. Truck is at 450 hp runs good and does not consume oil. Started noticing oil getting too hot. As soon as I start climbing a hill oil temp will go over 245 and climb steadly. the most I have ever let it get to is 248 and then I would pull over and let it cool down. I started climbing hills with the fan on and that helps but it still starts going over 245f fairly quick and I would gear down.
Replaced the Oil thermostat it did not help so then I completely pulled it out thinking it might have been a faulty thermostat. Still having the same problem. I do not want to pull of the oil cooler before I know that the problem is in there. Truck coolant seems to heat up fairly quick but does not overheat. Can a water pump or thermostat cause poor circulation in oil cooler causing the oil too get hot?
replyreply
RE: Oil Temp Overheating issue
Sounds like the oil temperature sensor is playing a joke on you .
replyreply
Does the engine still have EGR/DPF? .. Or had the "Govt. Mandate" been removed?

Do you have a pyro and boost gauge in it? -- If so, what are the readings when it is getting hot?

What kind of coolant?

Just trying to get more details.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I had the DPF Drilled But Egr is still functional. Had the same program done on 3 of these trucks and set at 450hp. No Pyro Or boost gauge currently. Power wise it pulls well and has red coolant in there right now but not sure on history bought the truck with 550k miles. Water pump is original at 815k miles. Rods and Mains with oil pump and overhead set done about 70k ago as a precaution. I will probably work on installing those gauges.
replyreply
05-13-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
(05-12-2016 )garystruck Wrote:  I had the DPF Drilled But Egr is still functional. Had the same program done on 3 of these trucks and set at 450hp. No Pyro Or boost gauge currently. Power wise it pulls well and has red coolant in there right now but not sure on history bought the truck with 550k miles. Water pump is original at 815k miles. Rods and Mains with oil pump and overhead set done about 70k ago as a precaution. I will probably work on installing those gauges.

this means you most likely have the aussie file in it, and a guarantee it is not at 450HP. i personally think you should rethink your strategy here.
replyreply
If you think the the oil cooler is blocked up, then I suggest you pull it off in a hurry! and NOT keep driving the truck!. -- It can only mean some kind of contamination in the engine and its oil blocking things up.

Poor coolant flow or a blocked up oil cooler can do it, but an overheating turbo will send oil temps high like that too. A bad/poor style delete can and will seriously make this happen, and as well shorten the life of an engine/turbo in a hurry.

Drilling holes through the 'cans' and running Mexican/Aussie files instead of having the job done right just to save a few bucks on it is not good business practice at all, and it can cost you an engine in the end. -- If you are serious about owning a truck(s) then doing the right thing will always prevail,.. and taking shortcuts will always lead to more problems in the end. You have half the job done,.. might as well finish what you started and get that truck to someone who can remove the mandate properly, such as ..

Unilevers - (Indianna/Canada)
or ..
Gearhead - (Maryland)
or ..
Vin - (Rawze's evil twin just south of Atlanta).

- That is what I would do any ways.
replyreply
Thanks for your replies I will pull off the water pump and inspect it otherwise will go ahead and pull off that cooler and see where that goes.
Will let you know what happens.
replyreply
Tried to find a oil cooler in stock seems like this is a special engine and nobody around here has this kind wondering if this might be some crappy oil cooler that cummins put into this engine. Cummins part number was 4955830. I should see it sometimes next week but probably wont get to it till next weekend.
replyreply
05-14-2016, (Subject: Oil Temp Overheating issue ) 
(05-13-2016 )garystruck Wrote:  Tried to find a oil cooler in stock seems like this is a special engine and nobody around here has this kind wondering if this might be some crappy oil cooler that cummins put into this engine. Cummins part number was 4955830. I should see it sometimes next week but probably wont get to it till next weekend.

I have never seen a CM871 run high oil temps unless there was something wrong with it, the intake/exhaust, or its programming!!!. I have worked with hundreds and hundreds, if not thousands of them,.. literally!.

Most will run below 235 - 240 F, and a custom tuned @m*m^2 engine will run about 218-220 F most of the time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.