Alternative APU System I saw last night.
03-14-2019, (Subject: Alternative APU System I saw last night. ) 
Alternative APU System I saw last night.
Not bad looking. What are your thoughts?

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
RE: Alternative APU System I saw last night.
Nice. Military surplus I take it?
replyreply
(03-14-2019 )flying240 Wrote:  Not bad looking. What are your thoughts?

./uploads/201903/post_2_1552573308_7fff4fd793ab7664e74ce3fec0f17c12.jpg
(see pic above)...
Had a carrier that has over 1,000 prostars in their fleet inform me a long time ago that I shoud remove/disconnect this same jump-start post at the battery terminals on my truck. They said they had several trucks burn to the ground over shorts due to corrosion, etc. getting into that same wire you have there. -- I removed mine entirely, all the way back to the batteries a long time ago.

Just thought I would mention it.

Also, all the wires you added need an outer layer of split-loom, or some other secondary protective sheeth to be D.O.T. compliant.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I have it for almost 4 years now. Working good.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=1569&page=2
The pictured setup (in post#1) shows example of horrible dangerous craftsmanship or lack of it.
Supporting structure weak and will fail in case anything hit the side fairing.
Freon copper pipe has lot of play and vibration will brake it very soon.
Compressor unit sitting too high on the cab. This will move center of gravity point up and amplify side to side shaking.
No brackets to secure compressor from front-back inertia force.There is only 8 spot weld points hold the compressor unit to the rest of this mess.
Here is how it should be done

replyreply
 Thanks given by: flying240 , Rawze , victory26 , JMBT , Waterloo
03-16-2019, (Subject: Alternative APU System I saw last night. ) 
Hey Snail express,
That looks good. Do you have any more pictures?
replyreply
03-17-2019, (Subject: Alternative APU System I saw last night. ) 
Seen on the road

Aux jug is a little funky and I'd want a cover for the genset. Basic idea of setting it on the catwalk works for me.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
 Thanks given by: flying240
04-18-2020, (Subject: Alternative APU System I saw last night. ) 
Have new design gen set installed. Now it's water cooled Kubota diesel engine with 4.5 KW gen head installed on the frame. Remote control with monitoring oil pressure, voltage, RPM, temperature, hours meter, batteries voltage and automatic start for battery charging from the sleeper.

Old air cooled diesel generator looking for new owner. Price is 1800 Reposado 0.75l. :big_smile2:
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
04-18-2020, (Subject: Alternative APU System I saw last night. ) 
The securement of the tubing and wires of the OP pics shows that whoever put it together has a great idea on how to make thing LOOK good. But zero clue on how much abuse and vibration that stuff is gonna take.

The rope holding the tubing is gonna cut and break in no time. Snailexpress is right about the the copper tube failing rather quickly. All those fancy looking brackets are gonna tear the fairings apart and rip a hole in the back of the cab after a few good bumps. I forsee this guy being broke down with a tow bill and the cops on scene when it all comes crashing down while he's driving. Snails' set up is much simpler and secure. Less is better when mounting stuff to the back of the cab.
replyreply
04-21-2020, (Subject: Alternative APU System I saw last night. ) 
We're paying about $10-15k here in Aus for a new apu and ive always thought this would be a good alternative.
Electric bunk coolers are starting to become a thing here to and just last week I got to see one for the first time in the flesh in a new Mack. Are these common over there yet? I feel theyre gonna be the done thing in the future
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.