JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX
06-27-2019, (Subject: JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX ) 
JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX
looking for some insight or help.
back story just did an in frame on it new pistons, liners, bearings, loaded reman head (after market) got it put together and head set put the cams and rockers etc.. on. wedge and pin it for timing and start setting the over head. i can get the intake and exhaust valves adjusted just fine, when you go to the jakes you can not adjust them. back the adjuster screw all the way out and can not get the 7mm gauge in to adjust them. any thoughts or suggestions? i'm at a loss have done many in frames on these and heads and adjustments this is the first problem i've had out of one.
replyreply
RE: JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX
Is this an 870/871 or 2250/2350 ?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Minich Truck Repair
IDK about the adjustment but that "After-Market" probably cheaper then cummins head is probably going to put you back into the shop for another overhaul relatively shortly non OEM heads on cummins are notorius for dropping valves.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Minich Truck Repair , Waterloo
06-28-2019, (Subject: JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX ) 
Its the 870
replyreply
(06-27-2019 )Minich Truck Repair Wrote:  looking for some insight or help.
back story just did an in frame on it new pistons, liners, bearings, loaded reman head (after market) got it put together and head set put the cams and rockers etc.. on. wedge and pin it for timing and start setting the over head. i can get the intake and exhaust valves adjusted just fine, when you go to the jakes you can not adjust them. back the adjuster screw all the way out and can not get the 7mm gauge in to adjust them. any thoughts or suggestions? i'm at a loss have done many in frames on these and heads and adjustments this is the first problem i've had out of one.

It sounds maybe to me like the engine was pinned in the wrong slot/place on the crank when building it,.. or one of the cams has slipped,.. or you are not aligned with the correct cylinder when adjusting the valves.

What is the detent clearance measuring with a dial indicator between the top of the valve(s) and the engine brake rocker detent position?

==============

- and now to address the red flags in your post above that a dozen or more on here have already seen, besides just myself ...

. There are about a hundred or more people and truck owners on this forum that will shake their heads in dislike as soon as they see your post above. They would be very quick to point out the obvious mistake your shop is making with its customers and their engines ...

-- Hopefully, you are here to learn though, and to improve yourself and what your shop does for its customers. If so, then keep reading...

Fist and foremost, just to point out the obvious, ...

STOP PUTTING ENGINES TOGETHER WITH AFTER-MARKET, GARBAGE HEADS AND/OR INTERNALS THAT WILL NOT LAST A MILLION MILES NO MATTER HOW HARD YOU TRY AND WISH THEM TO!!!!!

-- NOT EVEN IF YOUR CUSTOMER DEMANDS IT!!!

My recommendation,... take the time to learn all the things recommended by this forum so that you can build an ISX to very high standards instead of folling the path of most shops. This will greatly improve your reputation and make your customers appreciate you much more. - Things like mentioned in this post as an example... http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid23542

Just some fair warning up front on here, no argument intended, I am the guy who says things like ...

"Repair shops hate my guts and my videos because I educate truck owners on how to use a torque wrench, or how to make a proper repair to a high standard. God forbid they end up in a shop questioning that lazy-man, air-gun happy bas$tard who might accidentally get offended if someone points out that they request a bit more professionalism and the use of a f$king torque wrench, so that things are done right for that $150+/hour."

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Minich Truck Repair
(06-28-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(06-27-2019 )Minich Truck Repair Wrote:  looking for some insight or help.

It sounds maybe to me like the engine was pinned in the wrong slot/place on the crank when building it,.. or one of the cams has slipped,.. or you are not aligned with the correct cylinder when adjusting the valves.

What is the detent clearance measuring with a dial indicator between the top of the valve(s) and the engine brake rocker detent position?

I am here to learn and and get criticism all at the same time, this is the first one we have used an aftermarket head on. and after this it will be the last time we use an aftermarket head. always have used OE cummins overhaul kits and parts, customer wanted a cheaper route and we gave in to him. I will get some measurements and get back with you, like i said i am more than willing to learn and get information.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Magard
Next time tell customer the next cheapest routeis their driveway and if they won't use OEM parts you won't warranty any of the work.

User's Signature: 2010 Lonestar - CM871 - 13sp - 3.70s, 2016 T680 - cm2350 - 13sp - 3.36s - skateboarder
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Pd6cas2 , Waterloo
06-30-2019, (Subject: JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX ) 
When I replaced the rocker shafts, I had the same situation and all parts were oem. I was confused trying to follow the insite instructions but it finally clicked. In the end the process is adjust the intake/exhaust first, then loosen the shaft clamps and rotate the shaft (with the detents). It will seem odd to rotate the shaft and loose the fitup of the flat ends but the amount of rotation is fairly small. The combined clamping force of all the clamps will keep the shaft from rotation in service. The amount of rotation depends on the tightest jake rocker. Tighten the shaft clamps, adjust the jake rockers then re-check the intake and exhaust. It will work.

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
07-01-2019, (Subject: JAKE ADJUSTMENT ON ISX ) 
(06-30-2019 )DosGatos Wrote:  When I replaced the rocker shafts, I had the same situation and all parts were oem. I was confused trying to follow the insite instructions but it finally clicked. In the end the process is adjust the intake/exhaust first, then loosen the shaft clamps and rotate the shaft (with the detents). It will seem odd to rotate the shaft and loose the fitup of the flat ends but the amount of rotation is fairly small. The combined clamping force of all the clamps will keep the shaft from rotation in service. The amount of rotation depends on the tightest jake rocker. Tighten the shaft clamps, adjust the jake rockers then re-check the intake and exhaust. It will work.

I would have to strongly disagree. i have never seen an isx that had this issue unless something else was wrong, or the head was machined incorrectly.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...66#pid9466

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.