Cac replacement
10-19-2019, (Subject: Cac replacement ) 
RE: Cac replacement
Sad thing is, he will likely install the damn thing

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
10-22-2019, (Subject: Cac replacement ) 
Question: I thought the OEM CAC was on the small side...does anyone make a larger one to fit the prostar?
replyreply
10-23-2019, (Subject: Cac replacement ) 
(10-22-2019 )Daytripper Wrote:  Question: I thought the OEM CAC was on the small side...does anyone make a larger one to fit the prostar?

A larger CAC for the ProStar?... There probably is, but why? And I wonder how you would close the hood? The ProStar is still one of the most fuel efficient trucks out there, and the OEM CAC plays a lot into that. The purpose of the CAC is to produce a specific amount of air volume to feed the turbo/motor, that OEM CAC is the best that International could come up with, and is tuned specifically for our trucks.

I would return the eBay CAC and get the correct one for your truck.
replyreply
10-29-2019, (Subject: Cac replacement ) 
The ebay CAC had 15 cross tubes....the OEM has 18. I didn't think 3 less would make that much difference. After getting roasted here lol I sent the ebay one back and dropped the cash on the factory one....they tried selling me aftermarket one also...

So now my dilema....I have a code 2973...erratic boost ...imap is brand new(oem), barometric sensor is within 1in. of local reading...turbo was replaced(oem)before I bought truck....but the dopes left the harness lay on the exhaust manifold....didnt burn the wires but singed the cover little bit...I definitely think it's something electrical because truck will run fine at times with no code popping up but other times it creates the engine....boost bounces from 20psi to almost 40psi without me moving my foot on the throttle. I have insite...what should I check? Trying my best to learn how to use this software without going to the stealership....they seem to just throw parts at it....gets very costly!
replyreply
10-30-2019, (Subject: Cac replacement ) 
This is why Rawze always says you cannot do cookie cutting tuning..... The Prostar CAC is 1/3 the size of say a 389.

On another note. Duralite has thier Evolution CAC which is the one everyone knocks on this forum as it is too restrictive for a VG turbo. They now have a Eliminator series which they claim is a OEM spec CAC, when I spoke to them they said it flows just like OEM but is built stronger like the Evolution. They said they made this one because they were having issues with thier original style and the new style turbos.

I have a Eliminator on my Western Star but I cant exactly verify any claim they've made as I have not measured CFM nor do I care to, I also have dont a VNT removal on this 60 series so I dont know how it reacts with a VN/VG turbo.

I know it does the job, my temps are good even at my high HP and it hasnt cracked even though I run some savage logging roads and have blown through 2 sets of Rad bushings since owning it.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
Which model cummins are we talking about?

I would start by monitoring all the sensors plus the turbo activity. How often does it do the violent boost fluctuations? Can you replicate it? If so that's when you want to be recording the sensor and data output with Insite. Quite possibly one of those jokers are jumping around waving their arms around saying I'm not ok or my wiring is bad. But you often times have to catch them in the act.
replyreply
So I need to have insite running....is there a way to record the sensor data when I get the code to come up?
replyreply
Engine is cm 871
replyreply
Yes, plug in to the truck. Set it up to safely be able to hit the record button in the tool bar at the top of your Insite screen. Bring up what sensors and parameters you want to monitor or under Tool>data monitor/logger> start graphical monitoring (if you need to see it in that form) Then make your problem happen and record it. Then you can go back and review the event as it happens anytime thru Logs or data monitor/logger
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.