DEF Doser Valve
01-19-2020, (Subject: DEF Doser Valve ) 
DEF Doser Valve
So, like many with these SCR systems I've reached the point where I need to replace my DEF Doser vavle/injector. I have a 2012 Pete 587 with Cummins ISX cm2250.

This particular valve/injector is used on MANY different engine/aftertreatment systems. Most Cummins ISX engines with SCR and many (all?) PACAR engines utilize the same Cummins aftertreatment system. OEM for this valve is Bosch. There's a few slight variations so double check what part number your truck requires.

Pricing this out showed costs ranging from $300-$500 for new OEM parts. A little more digging however turned up a lot of no name valves that looked identical to the OEM but cost 1/10th the price! So, after a little research I decided $45 was worth experimenting on one of these no-name valves. Worst case I end up replacing it with an OEM one and I'm out $45 and 30 min of my own labor. So I ordered one from Amazon with Prime shipping and got it in today.

Here's what I found when I opened the box:

It appears to be an actual OEM part with electrical tape covering the markings. Again, purchased through Amazon with Prime shipping. Not sure how the part actually came to be, but it was NOT advertised as being OEM.

So, we will see how it actually works. I still had to get the gasket/spacer from the dealer/OEM so once that comes in I will install and report back. If it turns out to be complete junk I will be happy knowing that others can learn. Otherwise, it could be a great value find in what is typically an expensive system to maintain. Even if it only lasts about a year, it's still cheaper than some of the sensors that we would replace for an EGR tune-up.

Stay tuned...

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Signature620 , Mattman , DVT873 , hhow55 , Pd6cas2
RE: DEF Doser Valve
You will find many AC parts like this too.
replyreply
(01-19-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  You will find many AC parts like this too.

Yeah, same happens on a lot of computer parts (especially apple parts). The 3rd party factory will run extra production and sell it off as non-oem. Although I was very surprised to see Bosch actually stamped on there, covered up with tape. Also don't usually find these things sold and fulfilled by Amazon, like this one was.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(01-19-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Pricing this out showed costs ranging from $300-$500 for new OEM parts. A little more digging however turned up a lot of no name valves that looked identical to the OEM but cost 1/10th the price! So, after a little research I decided $45 was worth experimenting on one of these no-name valves. Worst case I end up replacing it with an OEM one and I'm out $45 and 30 min of my own labor. So I ordered one from Amazon with Prime shipping and got it in today.

Here's what I found when I opened the box:

It appears to be an actual OEM part with electrical tape covering the markings. Again, purchased through Amazon with Prime shipping. Not sure how the part actually came to be, but it was NOT advertised as being OEM.

So, we will see how it actually works. I still had to get the gasket/spacer from the dealer/OEM so once that comes in I will install and report back. If it turns out to be complete junk I will be happy knowing that others can learn. Otherwise, it could be a great value find in what is typically an expensive system to maintain. Even if it only lasts about a year, it's still cheaper than some of the sensors that we would replace for an EGR tune-up.

Stay tuned...
Interesting, the Czech's are damn good machinists and mechanics. In '38 the Czech army probably could have stopped the Germans cold but they could get NO assurances of support from France or Great Britain. Without that they chose surrender rather than see their country destroyed in a fight they couldn't win alone long term. Wonder if this is "4th" shift production? Very common in China. For a relatively small volume part, compared to car parts I doubt anybody is counterfeiting the stampings. . Could you post the link?
replyreply
(01-19-2020 )DVT873 Wrote:  Interesting, the Czech's are damn good machinists and mechanics. In '38 the Czech army probably could have stopped the Germans cold but they could get NO assurances of support from France or Great Britain. Without that they chose surrender rather than see their country destroyed in a fight they couldn't win alone long term. Wonder if this is "4th" shift production? Very common in China. For a relatively small volume part, compared to car parts I doubt anybody is counterfeiting the stampings. . Could you post the link?

Sent you a PM. Don't want to openly promote something until I at least have a chance to install and test it. This way if it turns out to be total crap then I'll be the only one affected. That being said, if you really want, you should be able to find a dozen or more of the same item from different sellers simply by searching for it on Amazon.

replyreply
01-23-2020, (Subject: DEF Doser Valve ) 
So, while I haven't had a chance to drive around with my new DEF doser valve, I did get the old one out and the new one in... Not a moment too soon! The Decomp tube was super clean, but the old valve... well, see for yourself:

replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55 , Toolguy

replyreply
Got your money's worth on that one!!

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
Got the Doser for $45 from Amazon. Then I had to buy the gasket ($44), thermal isolator ($10) and 3 new bolts ($5.50 each) from the dealer.

To get to the doser I had to remove the rear loop around section of exhaust pipe (two 90 degree elbows). Broke the 3 clamps trying to get them off ($50 each) and needed 3 new gaskets ($14 each). Found that the middle clamp was never tightened and was missing the gasket! Also had to replace one of the 90 degree pipes since the thermal insulation was damaged and falling off ($340).

To get the exhaust pipes out I had to drop the driveshaft. Since that was down figured I'd replace the carrier bearing ($100 + $10 locknut + $2.50 washer).

And to make all this work easier I had to remove my tool box mounted behind the cab.

Add a new DEF filter ($83) and while I'm at it change the air dryer cartridge ($32).

Add another $150 for shop labor to remove the old and reinstall the new locknut and bearing since I didn't have the right tools.

Grand total for this bargain doser replacement adventure: $1025. :waaaht:

Then, if that wasn't enough, one of the brake lines on my pickup sprung a leak on the way home tonight. :too_sad:

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.