Severe oil leak...ahh sh*** here we go again
01-24-2020, (Subject: Severe oil leak...ahh sh*** here we go again ) 
Severe oil leak...ahh sh*** here we go again
Pre tripping the Volvo and recently noticed an oil starting to pool on the ground and it's coming from the gear housing, seems to only do it when turbo pressure starts to build... anyone know what range typically im looking to drop for parts and labor?? Cummins isx 2250 with 582000 miles.
replyreply
RE: Severe oil leak...ahh sh*** here we go again
Possible turbo problem?

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
Gear housing? Front of the motor? Behind the big fan? Or at the turbo? Wash the motor off and find the leak, if you have trouble finding it, go to NAPA and get around 8 bottles of the Oil UV Dye, they are normally sold in 1 or 1.5 ounce bottles. Pour those in your motor and run the truck, clean the motor first, run it around 30 or 40 miles, use a black light and those special UV glasses to find the leak. NAPA will sell that kit too, as do O'Reily and Autozone.

When you find it, you need to figure out why it is leaking. Is the motor building to much internal pressure, like say from a clogged up Crankcase Breather Filter? Has that been changed out? Possible turbo issues? Have you removed the plumbing and inspected the turbo for oil, along with the CAC for pooling oil in it internally? Maybe a bad air compressor leaking off into the oil system? Is the air compressor working normally? Just off the top of my head...

If it is a front cover leak, the gaskets run around $50 and the rest is labor removing the cover. I used red RTV (tube of gasket maker/sealer) on my front top cover, torque to spec. No leaks since I repaired.

If it is the front main seal, the seal is inexpensive, but a special tool is needed to seat it properly. No clue on labor for that, some shops want to remove the entire front structure, that can get very expensive if you let a shop do that job. On my ProStar, it is a simple as removing the damper and front cover.

Others will chime in...
replyreply
The cm2250 gear housing gaskets are prone to leaking. It usually starts up behind the air compressor and will drip from the bottom of the fuel pump where it bolts to the housing.

Wash it, drive it for 20mins and get us some photos.
replyreply
01-25-2020, (Subject: Severe oil leak...ahh sh*** here we go again ) 
@signature620
@waterloo thanks guys for the quick response! I took some pictures, and I yes it seems to be coming from the back of the air compressor down to the bottom right of the oil pan not sure. But it only does that when it idles to warm up and then it stops. I will bring it to the shop asap.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
01-25-2020, (Subject: Severe oil leak...ahh sh*** here we go again ) 
Need to wash it good. Make sure its not the crank seal...These are prone to front cover leaks when cold when heated up it swells the aluminum housing and stops...
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.