Source of ceiling water leaks- volvo 630
02-25-2020, (Subject: Source of ceiling water leaks- volvo 630 ) 
Source of ceiling water leaks- volvo 630
In our search for a HDT, one rolled into the Volvo dealership (consignment) just off the road. 2015 630, bit over 500k miles. The small trucking firm has bought all their trucks from this dealer over the years, so they know him well. He runs 5 or so rigs. The nice thing about this truck is that it has not been detailed.. It is what it was when it drove in. Outside looks like a truck off the road during winter. Under the dirt is a really good looking exterior. Minimal rust on the rear frame and drive gear. The interior is another story. It's really, really dirty. And the dude was a smoker. So there's that.

Question(s):

- smoke smell, can it be neutralized?

- I have a link to show watermarks on the interior fabric. Link to a .zip file of the images . Some water marks around the rear ceiling speakers, overhead windshield storage. Thoughts on what caused those and can the source be sealed? The salesman said it is common for these trucks that run on the east coast (it has a NY road tag on the front and Utah plates), and the top seam can be resealed. True? False?

- The shots of the dash and the passenger's seat give you and idea of the interior dirt situation.

Here's a link to the truck from the dealer: We are going to aggressively work on the price. {link removed}

The good news is, with the lack of detailing, all leaks in the engine compartment are visible. And there's little. A bit of oil buildup at the rear passenger's side of the valve cover. It's really nice. Obviously a cared for motor. Nothing patched or jerry-rigged. I gave it a pretty good visual and they will let me spend as much time as I like digging into the rig, going down the checklist. Pulled the cap on the crankcase and sniff... smells like good engine. Not sour or damp. The dealer has done zero on this truck.

I am planning on getting an oil analysis, extensive DOT inspection, the computer dump (there is a warning on startup about an exterior light). Hopefully, I can find someone local (Salt Lake City) who owns ones a Volvo to give it a spin and offer input. And putting in the deal (if we get close on price) that it be detailed.

Thoughts on the water damage and all other advice welcome.

Bob & Lisa

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202002/post_4855_1582664307_b20bf7781c80b49c26de4cbbbe1e904f.jpeg./uploads/202002/post_4855_1582664317_25c2a0c0a02dc65100722394c48119a8.jpeg
replyreply
RE: Source of ceiling water leaks- volvo 630
IMO...

Wayyyy overpriced!!! and it is a Volvo motor which is a nightmare for another night. At 544000 miles get ready to spend money on never ending emission problems and do not forget to set $8000 every year for a set of injector cups and injectors if you have to stealership do them.

I would look elsewhere... There is a lot of semis out there.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
Pos..... move on.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873
Thanks folks. Your take on this is appreciated.
And we are moving on. Found this one
https://www.nexttruckonline.com/search?c...type=truck

I am not using this truck to work. It's to haul our 5th wheel toy hauler around. We have an International 4700 DT466 that's been converted into a RV hauler. It's to loud, rough, and the wife is tired of it. And it's underpowered. Or Dodge 3500 would pull the trailer but not relighably stop it from speed. Not a good thing all things considered.

We might put 20k miles on the truck a year, so hard, heavy load driving we are not. I understand the bent against Volvo, but it does offer some creature comforts not found in similar models by other mfgs. Most pulling RV trailers are Volvos. My personal choice/preference so it will be what it is I think.

The big rub we have is proximity to the rig listed above. We're in Salt Lake City and it's west of Atlanta. It would be nice to have some experienced eyes take a look at this truck for us. We could compensate for time if needs be.

Bob & Lisa
replyreply
If all you're looking to pull is a toy hauler then why are you looking at a class 8 truck? It's a big expense for something that won't get much use. If you do insist on a class 7 or 8 truck you'd probably be better off with a single axle. Cheaper registration, taxes/fees, tolls will be cheaper, better fuel mileage and traction with a single axle, slightly better turning radius. Single axle sleeper cabs can be a little pricier upfront but will save you a lot in the long run. It'll still gross out at about 65,000lbs which should be more than enough for what you're hauling.

Just my 2 cents.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
This is not social media... this is a truck owner forum,.. and MOSTLY A CUMMINS forum.

If all you did was make an account on here to shop for truck after truck after truck... DO THAT OVER ON FACEF$$OOK! -- AND not here! That or go back to an RV forum where it belongs!.

Do you have some specific questions/concerns? etc / ? -- or are you here just to spam my forum over and over for BS opinions?.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Thanks JimT.

Rawze ,my appologies for offending you and the forum. Not my intention. There's a lot of deep expertise here, and in my simple way, trying to tap into that.

Rawze, your work to help big truck owners is appreicated. I have found just about every trucker I have met to be generous with information, as you and the members of this forum are.
I'm just trying to get a little help in not making to many mistakes as I move up.

With that I will bow out.

All the best to everyone and thank-you for the input.

Bob
replyreply
Volvo notorious for ceiling leaking. Water got inside the cab structure thru bad seal on side top windows. Every time I got in area with rain and blowing wind or snow some water gets in between cab and fabric panels, it's leaking toward front and down. You can easily clean it with dump sponge and Oxy for laundry.
Every truck has NY sticker on the front. If license plate is UT truck is from UT.
replyreply
(02-25-2020 )Trimster Wrote:  Thanks JimT.

Rawze ,my appologies for offending you and the forum. Not my intention. There's a lot of deep expertise here, and in my simple way, trying to tap into that.

Rawze, your work to help big truck owners is appreicated. I have found just about every trucker I have met to be generous with information, as you and the members of this forum are.
I'm just trying to get a little help in not making to many mistakes as I move up.

With that I will bow out.

All the best to everyone and thank-you for the input.

Bob
I would want a Volvo for a rv if I was going that route. Go to Facebook “Volvo truck masters”. Group. That’s the place for all these questions. There’s actual Volvo dealer mechanics on there. They’ll answer your questions. Stay with Volvo engine because you are likely not gonna wrench on it yourself. Injector cups will be your issue but rv.? Probably not a problem because such a light load. We’re about making a living here with trucks. We take time out to help each other but rv stuffs really is (usually) a waste of our time here. Just saying.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.