Found some stuff in my tank, What it be?
03-25-2020, (Subject: Found some stuff in my tank, What it be? ) 
Found some stuff in my tank, What it be?
I finally got around to fishing a fuel spout out of my tank. It popped off the can last time I used it. Had to take the air cleaner off to get a grabber in there

Found this stuff down there too:

The wire is obviously a retainer for the fuel cap. Not sure what the other stuff is. Maybe a float for the fuel level sender?

Second question: There's a lock on my fuel cap but neither the door key or the ignition key will turn it. I've had motorcycles that use a universal lock on the gas tank so any ignition key will fit it. Is this the same way? There aren't any numbers next to the hole to tell me a key code
replyreply
RE: Found some stuff in my tank, What it be?
The spring is from a fuel cap chain
replyreply
You did not happen to find my Timex watch did you?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , hhow55 , LargeCar , Roysbigtoys
03-26-2020, (Subject: Found some stuff in my tank, What it be? ) 
If you take notice to the copper sleeve (or what I'm assuming is copper or brass) the side facing us in the picture is worn down from the sleeve being faced down in the tank. It's been rubbing back and forth while sloshing around the tank. Think about where all those fine little sanded pieces of copper went....

Anyone doubting why having good smaller filtration filters is essential? You never know what's gonna get introduced to your fuel system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Rawze , Waterloo , LargeCar
04-12-2020, (Subject: Found some stuff in my tank, What it be? ) 
(03-25-2020 )RocketScott Wrote:  Second question: There's a lock on my fuel cap but neither the door key or the ignition key will turn it. I've had motorcycles that use a universal lock on the gas tank so any ignition key will fit it. Is this the same way? There aren't any numbers next to the hole to tell me a key code

Just wanted to follow up on this

Today I got around to taking the lock apart. Removed the retaining ring inside the cap and it slid right out. It's a five pin lock cylinder. Turned out that I could swap two of the lock pins and file a little on a third to make the key for my tool boxes work

I'm sure a locksmith could replace the pins to key it to the door key. Maybe someday I'll key everything alike but for now I'm OK with having three keys on the ring
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.