Time to Inframe?
07-30-2020, (Subject: Time to Inframe? ) 
RE: Time to Inframe?
As long as the liners are intact, I would not see why not. You may be able to get away without taking the hood off, if you can get it down far enough to clear the cam. I've seen it done before, will just depend on your truck. And of course the head, if that is damaged, you may as well do the in frame.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
(07-30-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Yeah, so far the biggest challenge I see will be rigging up something to remove the hood, but I'm confident I can handle that. If I pull everything up front I'll probably replace the CAC and damper at the same time.

So at this point its really just a question of can I just do the cam now and safely wait on the inframe? Or is there some other risk I'm not aware of that would necessitate the full inframe be done instead?

Come over and help me put my truck back on the roads (replacing rear-axle diff gearbox, has 1.4 million miles on it, and a few other things while axle is out of truck) and I will let you do your inframe here in the driveway if you like. Just make sure you got the money for buying your own parts, etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker , PuroCumminsPower
(07-30-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 )JimT Wrote:  Yeah, so far the biggest challenge I see will be rigging up something to remove the hood, but I'm confident I can handle that. If I pull everything up front I'll probably replace the CAC and damper at the same time.

So at this point its really just a question of can I just do the cam now and safely wait on the inframe? Or is there some other risk I'm not aware of that would necessitate the full inframe be done instead?

Come over and help me put my truck back on the roads (replacing rear-axle gearbox has 1.4 million miles on it, and a few other things while axle is out of truck) and I will let you do your inframe here in the driveway if you like.

Sounds like fun and an extra learning experience too. 2 questions though. First, what's your time frame/schedule for the rear-axle? Second, would it be safe to bobtail all the way down there with the cam like this? I did have some tiny metal flecks get stuck to my finger while inspecting it. Now that the #3 intake valve is set to .014" instead of .030 I'm concerned it will accelerate the decay of the cam. I'm was actually debating whether it would be safe to start the truck up just to turn her around in my driveway (so that the neighborhood can't see what I'm doing).

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(07-30-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(07-30-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  

Come over and help me put my truck back on the roads (replacing rear-axle gearbox has 1.4 million miles on it, and a few other things while axle is out of truck) and I will let you do your inframe here in the driveway if you like.

Sounds like fun and an extra learning experience too. 2 questions though. First, what's your time frame/schedule for the rear-axle? Second, would it be safe to bobtail all the way down there with the cam like this? I did have some tiny metal flecks get stuck to my finger while inspecting it. Now that the #3 intake valve is set to .014" instead of .030 I'm concerned it will accelerate the decay of the cam. I'm was actually debating whether it would be safe to start the truck up just to turn her around in my driveway (so that the neighborhood can't see what I'm doing).

just bobtail it over... its already screwed up, and you've already been driving it like that for at least a month or more like it was.

My own truck project is about 1/2 way into its repair,.. that project is already underway.

Waterloo also left a cam here a while back (when we did his inframe) that may actually fit your engine ... so you never know,.. maybe it you saves u some $$$ if it happens to be the right one, but not sure.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Nostalgic , Waterloo , PuroCumminsPower
well, you don't have to twist my arm to accept that offer. I do however need a day or two to get myself prepared for a trip, then travel time. Things like clothes and food and most importantly explaining to the wife and daughter why I'll be gone for a few weeks.

That's right, they put 2250 parts in his truck! Hmm, that would be an interesting twist if it fit.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo8873 , Waterloo
(07-30-2020 )JimT Wrote:  well, you don't have to twist my arm to accept that offer. I do however need a day or two to get myself prepared for a trip, then travel time. Things like clothes and food and most importantly explaining to the wife and daughter why I'll be gone for a few weeks.

That's right, they put 2250 parts in his truck! Hmm, that would be an interesting twist if it fit.

Make sure to post up some details with what you find out with the tear down... and what you did to fix it. etc

I absorb that information like eating candy or drinking beer.. lol

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
Also some video would be awesome!!!

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , Paccardude
(07-30-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  Also some video would be awesome!!!

Video would be awesome, but that would be up to Rawze as I don't have anything other than my phone to use for recording. I've found other videos to be extremely helpful and I'm open to sharing. Although I suspect most things will mirror what Rawze already has in his Inframe series.

And of course, I'll post updates under my blog thread, as I have time. I have a nice list of extra things to do in case I find myself with downtime waiting on parts. Even some in-cab things for bad weather.

replyreply
Maybe video of struggles you run into or something you see that looks interesting, or daily updates etc. not necessarily a mirror of what Rawze did. I for one would like to see the yard crane in action removing/replacing the head. Probably not quite as easy as with the towmotor at Jerry's shop.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.