Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-10-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
(08-10-2020 )tree98 Wrote:  
(08-10-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(08-09-2020 )JMBT Wrote:  ... what did you use on the manifold bolts to get them out easy?

gently nudging them loose in tiny increments with a 1/2" electric impact so they would not break.

Gently with an impact?? Those two words don't usually go together. I would think an impact would be a lot harder on them than a 3/8 ratchet.

As long as the impact has a variable trigger like most do along with patience it would not be an issue I would think.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
When I took mine off awhile back I soaked them with PB and let them sit overnight. They looked like they had been sitting on the ocean floor they were so rusty. The next morning I used a 1/2” breaker bar and popped them all by hand. I was surprised how they came out.
Now I am getting close to inframe time and they look like hell again so I am “gleaning” everyone’s removal tips in case my way doesn’t work next time!

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
JimT: Is your motor a 2250 or 2350? Also how many miles had you racked up? Just curious as I feel I am approaching an inframe myself on my 2250.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
Your putting a new head on anyway right??

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Patience is your friend JMBT. Your way is fine with a 1/2" breaker bar. Just get it to move a very small amount and work it back and forth and they come right out. It'll be even be easier to do if you followed Cummins procedure and put a light coating of antisieze on them when you put them in.

Also, if your overhauling the engine, you're gonna throw the head and the old bolts away. Why waste time, gun them out. If they snap, who cares? It all goes to the scrap pile, right?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys , JMBT , Nostalgic
Head looks original, maybe just the lighting in the picture. It was almost dark, under a blue tarp with my cell phone flash. EGR cooler and turbo had been replaced sometime before I got it. Driver side you can tell has never been touched, paint was intact.

2250 assembled 09/2011, a bit over 570,000 mi. Got the truck in 2018 with 411,000 mi on it. First started to get the fuel pressure code in Dec. of 2018 and it wasn't until June of 2019 that I shut the truck down and found this forum and learned about the fuel pump. Don't know how it survived, but it did. 3/4 of one ceramic plunger was missing when I got it open.

Was planning on a new head.

Right now the fuel rail and tubes are off, just fighting the mess of wires. ECM and all the wiring for the truck, along with all the air lines, all run down the same narrow section on the driver side by #6. Really tedious trying to get in there and move the wires and get to the last few bolts.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , JMBT , Roysbigtoys
Yeah, good point Chamber! I will be tossing the head for sure when I inframe so if they snap it would be ok! (My hand is smacking my forehead right now!) I did anti-seize them last time as well.

replyreply
(08-10-2020 )Volvo8873 Wrote:  ...
As long as the impact has a variable trigger like most do along with patience it would not be an issue I would think.

it is a variable speed that also has 3 settings... it is electric ... low was used.

a breaker bar with about 50 (or so) ft-lbs torque pressure and a medium sized hammer to hit the end of it with while turning would have the same effect if someone wanted to do it completely by hand.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JMBT , JimT
Quick update while we have a passing thunder storm.

Peeled the wiring back, got the intake manifold off. Yuck, more soot buildup on the intake side then on the exhaust! That's about 540,000 miles of eating it's own crap.

Edit:

Rain pretty much killed the rest of today. Everything external is off the head except for 4 bolts in the front and the 6 injector tubes. Tomorrow should begin the real fun.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Waterloo , snailexpress , Volvo8873 , Brock , JMBT

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.