Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
08-26-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
RE: Helping JimT out with an inframe ...
There have been a few cases you had to tare down to get the right parts. Its still a practice we use as doing so many you get tired of them sending wrong kits. For the most part you will look it up and its right but not 100% will it be right...Been there done that
replyreply
 Thanks given by: redbeard , Rawze , JimT , Waterloo , t700
(08-26-2020 )Agentspd Wrote:  ...
Im told by a real reliable source its never wrong.

your source is not so reliable. Hopefully you will start to realize that and stop drinking the cool-aide found on social medai and other horse3#shi#t places.

Quickserv will also not mention whatsoever if you have alt. size rod or main bearings and all sorts of other stuffs, hence why I also referenced this in the earlier post too: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...5#pid32065

-- It sounds like you have a lot to learn about the red crybabies. Hopefully you are here to learn and not simply argue away false-hoods that you seem to have been brainwashed with so far.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
We had to pull my motor apart to find the correct parts. That was on Quickserve. Disassemble motor before purchasing parts. And of course, all of the wrong parts were installed in the motor., seriously. ;-)

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
When I called Cummins Edmonton, they literally told me I had to tear my motor down and tell them which liners I had. I said "wtf man, your Cummins, you tell me what bloody liners I have lol"

He said they couldn't, they didn't know, there was a good chance if they went off my vin, I'd get the wrong ones.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
So, on topic, here's a quick update:

Finally got the shims needed to install liner #6. It's in and all 6 pistons got installed today. Liner protrusions all measured .016, which Rawze says will work well once both shims (.020 and .030) crush together. He says that after it crushes and settles it will end up at .015.

We had a machine shop replace the wrist pin bushings on the rods. Much cheaper then swapping out from the dealer, but they needed a little extra attention to detail. One side of each of the new bushings had metal shavings embedded in them and the oil drillings in the bushings had some material that wasn't completely removed. So, took a little extra time to clean up after them, but should fine. Pictures in the album.

In the meantime it was determined that I should replace the oil cooler due to the potential for metal debris clogging up the passages. Got that in and ready to swap out but they don't supply a new gasket in the overhaul kit so I'm waiting for that.

Also, I went ahead and opened up the head on my fuel pump. Quick recap, I got code 559 in Dec. of 2018, found this forum and figured out the issue and rebuilt the head in June of 2019. At that time 3/4 of one ceramic plunger was missing and one of the tappet rollers was chewed up. I didn't note any damage to the cam at that time. ----- Well, this time the plungers were fine! But the same roller was chewed up again. This time the cam was also chewed up. The other side, which showed no damage the first time was showing signs of wear. Again, these parts were replaced 13 months ago. If I had to guess, the cam was probably worn and I just missed it the first time. ----- So, ordered a new fuel pump to go with everything else. Of course, the new pump has 2 fuel ports on the upper side of the rear housing, instead of on the lower side like my old pump... So, had to halt changing that out so i could order some new fuel supply lines.

So, right now with the overhaul kit, including the main bearings, the new head (ordered/payed for a reman, got a new one in the box, lucky gamble), new cam ($1900), new rockers, new crankshaft damper, new oil pump, new oil cooler, new fuel pump ($3,400), any misc items and anything else I'm probably forgetting, the total is up to about $23,500.

Been losing a lot of time to rain. Mid-day thunder storms, full day rain, ground flooding under the engine where I'm trying to work. Even just the threat of rain has me pulling the tarp over the engine since it's partially exposed and runoff from the tractor roof comes down into the engine bay. But, it's coming along.

Again, keep an eye on the photo album as I add new pics daily and there's way too many to constantly post here.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Nmzav1DWydFRFUMq8

---------------------

Today I'll leave you all with a bonus recipe:

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Pd6cas2 , SquareOne , Nostalgic , Chamberpains , JMBT , redbeard , Waterloo , tree98 , Roysbigtoys , hhow55 , ZeroNthedark , Toolguy
08-27-2020, (Subject: Helping JimT out with an inframe ... ) 
Wow, bearings don't look good at all !

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Brock
Yeah at only 572,000 mi, lots of small scars in the bearings. The crank itself was in better condition, smooth, though not completely perfect. Most likely the result of months of a slowly failing fuel pump. Little by little dropping debris into the oil.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
Does it have the updated oil filter bypass?
replyreply
(08-27-2020 )Agentspd Wrote:  Does it have the updated oil filter bypass?

yeah, his looks like it was updated a while back. The cap screw is painted, indicating someone updated it as some point.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.