(2014) ISX15 coolant help!
10-16-2020, (Subject: (2014) ISX15 coolant help! ) 
RE: (2014) ISX15 coolant help!
Okay guys I ran the test twice at two different places both tests as follow the tool help psi at 1to2 psi at start it took 12 min for psi to build to 8to9 psi up to 20 min it stayed right around 10 psi never over. During test I checked for leaks everywhere I couldn’t find anything however during second test around 15 min my truck idled up to around 8k rpms I can hear turbo (like many peterbilts I’ve heard idle up while sitting for long periods) however my truck didn’t idle back down to normal and now I’m sitting again and it’s idled up again at 790rpms and after 15 min it’s not idling back down it’s almost as if it’s about to start a regen but it doesn’t I realize this is unrelated but this truck since I’ve had it has never idled above 600 but I never idled it long
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
Yeah definitely unrelated and a blond moment I left it idle for 35 min and it went back to normal which is 680 ish below 7 not 600 as my previous statement
replyreply
Sounds like it was doing a passive regen in your last two statements. Was the high exhaust temp light on? How about the turbo, was it chuffing at idle and the engine sound pissed off and not smooth and happy?
When mine does the passive regen, throttle response is sluggish at idle and sounds like timing is adjusted and the engine is fighting itself up till about 800rpm, then smooths out. High temp exhaust light is almost always on when this happens, and turns off when over the 800ish rpm and accelerating thru gears.
replyreply
10-17-2020, (Subject: (2014) ISX15 coolant help! ) 
(10-16-2020 )GhostHauling Wrote:  Okay guys I ran the test twice at two different places both tests as follow the tool help psi at 1to2 psi at start it took 12 min for psi to build to 8to9 psi up to 20 min it stayed right around 10 psi never over. During test I checked for leaks everywhere I couldn’t find anything however during second test around 15 min my truck idled up to around 8k rpms I can hear turbo (like many peterbilts I’ve heard idle up while sitting for long periods) however my truck didn’t idle back down to normal and now I’m sitting again and it’s idled up again at 790rpms and after 15 min it’s not idling back down it’s almost as if it’s about to start a regen but it doesn’t I realize this is unrelated but this truck since I’ve had it has never idled above 600 but I never idled it long

Except for the idle up issue, what you describe sounds about normal as far as pressure buildup goes.

The idle speed varying on its own could be a few things.

You need to ensure that engine passes a rail leak test first and foremost...

to ensure fuel is not getting into the cylinders and causing the rpm to climb... a bad injector that can allow engine to idle up is going to cause all sorts of other issues.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
10-18-2020, (Subject: (2014) ISX15 coolant help! ) 
Thank you Rawze and everyone for taking the time to give advice and help me out! I’m going to run the fuel rail pressure test as soon as I get a OBD 2 cord, we downloaded insight when we decided to buy an ISX15 and when we called the local dealer to get an OBD 2 cord they said they don’t sell them and I’ve been having trouble finding one that has a usb to plug into the computer.
replyreply
(10-18-2020 )GhostHauling Wrote:  Thank you Rawze and everyone for taking the time to give advice and help me out! I’m going to run the fuel rail pressure test as soon as I get a OBD 2 cord, we downloaded insight when we decided to buy an ISX15 and when we called the local dealer to get an OBD 2 cord they said they don’t sell them and I’ve been having trouble finding one that has a usb to plug into the computer.

eBay has them, if you need the entire kit with the reader they are around $250. You will need the Inline 6 reader to access the ECM on the motor, you cannot just directly hook to your laptop.

Here is what most of us use here... https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-INLINE-...SwIJlZ9U~7

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Waterloo With that kit you sent what else is need to hook to my laptop ? Or can I not use my HP laptop that only has a USB port ? (If only I had spent more time learning the mechanics of the trucks I’ve been driving the last decade)
replyreply
(10-18-2020 )GhostHauling Wrote:  Waterloo With that kit you sent what else is need to hook to my laptop ? Or can I not use my HP laptop that only has a USB port ? (If only I had spent more time learning the mechanics of the trucks I’ve been driving the last decade)

I'll send you some links... Yes, use the kit to plug directly into your laptop. The usb cord goes from laptop to Inline reader, the OB cable goes from Inline into dash. It works just like the one at the dealership. This is the only way, other than more expensive readers to access your ECM. There is no such thing as simply going from the laptop to the ECM.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
PM Sent.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.