IInjector tip cracked off ISX 600P
12-10-2020, (Subject: IInjector tip cracked off ISX 600P ) 
IInjector tip cracked off ISX 600P
Hi, I had cyl #3 injector tip brake off, simply cracked in half . A piece about the size of a popcorn kernel. bounced around in the chamber - piston doesn't look to bad, couple kiss marks... bore looks fine, valve faces look fine. I drove about 200 miles like this...coach ran fine, noticed smoking, otherwise no other issues. The broken off piece is not in the chamber, my questions are, what could have caused this to fail. I checked the filters, no water in them. I looked that exhaust side fan, I do not see damage, should I pull the turbo, take the housing off and make sure the piece is not in the housing?
Please note, the following - #6 intake valve failed on this engine at 48k miles, hell of a mess....I am not sure if the injector that broke was the injector that as in cylinder 6 when it exploded... it may have been??? Hoping someone can give me some input. I have pulled all the injectors, I do not see anything wrong with them.
Thank you for your help!!
replyreply
RE: IInjector tip cracked off ISX 600P
Make? model? year? What ISX engine? Stock tuning? etc

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
I didnt know there were different models of the 600HP ISX engine..LOL. that shows how stupid I am...LOL
replyreply
The ISX came in different models over the years. Do you have a picture of the data plate? It will be printed on your valve cover. It will have an engine serial number that ypu can register on quickserve and have all the service manuals and part numbers. It does not cost anything for that.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
(12-10-2020 )Viperizer Wrote:  I didn't know there were different models of the 600HP ISX engine..LOL. that shows how stupid I am...LOL

what is the engine ser#? (ESN #)?

What year, make model truck? type of operations you haul, some more history.

Is it egr-Deleted? (De-mandated)? and if so, by who?

some background / history, etc. always helps.

none of what you describe as problems sound normal at all for issues typically seen in an ISX .. but more like severe abuse or possibly bad custom tuning or bad delete programming. That or someone not knowing what the h#ell they were doing when it was rebuilt... Possibly aftermarket parts, etc.

you gave no indication what year or type isx it is. If its a newer model...
(2011 and newer engine model Common rail ISX's)...
Has anyone checked the injector trim codes to see what cylinder the injector belongs to?... you said it could have been swapped around. - I hope someone set the injector trim codes to match this if they did. You can also look on quickserv to see if it is an original injector, what hole it belonged to. - Quickserv is free (cummins.quickserv.com) so you should go sign up to get all info about your engine and all manuals, etc. if you have not done this already. If it is a common rail model ISX, look at the inejctor trim codes in Insite. Look at the injector trim codes on the injectors themselves to ensure they match up per cylinder, and then look on quickserv to see if that is where they originally were when the engine was built.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Hummmmm strange, everything I searched for appeared that the valve failure was extremely common on motorcoaches, at least in my model year of 2008... lots of factory updates on head, scrapper rings etc....they even introduced a new head....new liners etc etc...Maybe someone familiar with the motorcoach version will chime in... here i thought they were all the same engines..duh..i am an idiot.
replyreply
(12-10-2020 )Viperizer Wrote:  Hummmmm strange, everything I searched for appeared that the valve failure was extremely common on motorcoaches, at least in my model year of 2008... lots of factory updates on head, scrapper rings etc....they even introduced a new head....new liners etc etc...Maybe someone familiar with the motorcoach version will chime in... here i thought they were all the same engines..duh..i am an idiot.

it sounds to me like you have been listening to a bunch of bullarky on those motor-coach social medai sites.

If there is anything different about the ISX in a motor-coach vs. a highway truck then it is simply heat issues related to the engine not getting a lot of cooling ion those motor coaches as they are cramped, and the air flow around the engine is not the greatest. - Cummnins DID NOT re-design the head or liners for motor-coaches,.. it IS the same engine.. and the liner changes has nothing to do with a motor coach either ... The liners were re-designed to prevent a well known issue of carbon-packing in the newer engines.

People here are trying to help you and answer you Q. as best they can with the limited info you gave so far ... but if you only want to get sarcastic and/or condescending in return, you will get kicked off here real fast. I do not tolerate that around here,...this is not social mdedai.

It being a 2008, I can only assume it came with a DPF can and not DEF fluid.. This means it is most likely NOT a common rail engine but a CM871.

And if intake valve failures are common on motorcoaches,... Then like I said .... it from abuse or severe neglect!. Most people like to delete those engines on those motor coaches and this is problem #1 big-time! ... most delete programming is beyond horrible and kills engines, and i would suspect in a motor-coach, this could be greatly amplified due to restrictive air flow and/ imperfect cooling systems. -- Aside from that, the ISX does not fair well when sitting for months or years on end and only run on occasions maybe 2 or 3 times a year without the top-end getting quite rusty from lack of use and moisture buildup. Again, this is neglect and considered abuse in my opinion. The issue and cause of more than normally seen issues on a particular application can be found if it is indeed a common problem that is only associated with motor coaches.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
but if you only want to get sarcastic and/or condescending in return, you will get kicked off here real fast. I do not tolerate that around here,...this is not social mdedai.

Heed the warning, rawze means what he say's.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
{post removed. Trolling}
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.