Talk to me about air compressors...please
12-20-2020, (Subject: Talk to me about air compressors...please ) 
RE: Talk to me about air compressors...please
(12-20-2020 )hhow55 Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Questiion,

Is it ok to add alcohol to air tanks on a demandated unit?

To keep the tanks and airlines from freezing? If so, yes, I use STP gas treatment, the red bottle, that small bottle opening makes it easier to pour the liquid in the airlines.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/STP-Gas-Treat...e/16817400

$1.50 a bottle, and a bottle normally lasts all winter.

Being stp gas treatment, is made with jet fuel. I'm thinking, it wouldn't be a good idea to have this product in the air system whereas the air pressure is as high as 120 lb. I know from prior experience pulling tankers hauling flammable or combustible product, you never unload utilizing pressurized air, since pressure creates heat.

Been using it for years... Only use less than an ounce, in the airlines, not at the compressor, a little bit goes a long way.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
when it is necessary to de-freeze air lines, I use brake-line anti-freeze (found at truck-stops, etc) or the product called "heet' in the yellow bottle from walmart. Both are listed as being nothing but methanol. I also add some to the windshield washer tank in extreme cold too.

I also use the stuff in my alcohol burner stove for cooking too.

just my own experiences any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , amermextrucker
Heet too, we used that up in ND too...

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply
Yes thats what i meant air line antifreeze. The reason I asked is I believe I read on here it wasnt safe for a mandated unit. I was just double checking. Thx.
replyreply
(12-20-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Yes thats what i meant air line antifreeze. The reason I asked is I believe I read on here it wasnt safe for a mandated unit. I was just double checking. Thx.

Mandate should make no difference to this part of the air system.

FYI, One time when my air lines/brakes froze up and I didn't have access to air line antifreeze I found a spray can windshield deicer which had the same chemicals as the antifreeze. (I researched it BEFORE trying) Sprayed some into the glad hands, hooked up and a few minutes later, brakes released! If you get in a jam it might help. Just be careful which chemicals are in the product as some are NOT good for the brake system.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker
(12-20-2020 )JimT Wrote:  ... brakes froze up

Just putting this here for reference.

when you find yourself starring at a set of brake pads are frozen solid to the drums badly ...

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid10449

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT , amermextrucker
(12-20-2020 )JimT Wrote:  
(12-20-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  Yes thats what i meant air line antifreeze. The reason I asked is I believe I read on here it wasnt safe for a mandated unit. I was just double checking. Thx.

Mandate should make no difference to this part of the air system.

FYI, One time when my air lines/brakes froze up and I didn't have access to air line antifreeze I found a spray can windshield deicer which had the same chemicals as the antifreeze. (I researched it BEFORE trying) Sprayed some into the glad hands, hooked up and a few minutes later, brakes released! If you get in a jam it might help. Just be careful which chemicals are in the product as some are NOT good for the brake system.

Thx good tip, I had a similar situation happen to me in my freightliner. That truck no matter what I did I couldnt keep moisture out of that system.

Well right before winter few years ago I procrastinated adding alcohol to the air tanks, one afternoon temparuture dropped from 35 to under 20 . Air tanks froze and wouldnt allow pressure to build , I didnt have any alcohol with me. What I did have was hand sanitizer ! I removed air tank plug and dumped it in , 10 mins later I was rolling!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-21-2020, (Subject: Talk to me about air compressors...please ) 
(12-20-2020 )amermextrucker Wrote:  What I did have was hand sanitizer ! I removed air tank plug and dumped it in , 10 mins later I was rolling!

Do that these days and it'd be like lining the inside of your tanks with gold!

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: amermextrucker

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.