Volvo 670 with 2250
12-21-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
RE: Volvo 670 with 2250
(12-21-2020 )Waterloo Wrote:  Well, if you don't mind the physical work, and it is not too cold where you are at, you can do this. I would get under the valve cover and run an overhead, along with inspecting the cam and rollers. How long has this tune been on there? The longer it is on, the more damage that is done, you really need to get under the valve cover to inspect that camshaft. The overhead procedure is on QuickServe and Rawze did a very good video on how to actually do one on the CM-871. You only have one cam to be concerned with and fewer steps. The procedure is the same on both motors, other than the injector adjustment on the 871, which you can skip on your 2250. The exhaust specs are identical.

It's been on there for about 25k miles or so.. I don't run heavy (60k-ish gross and empty on the way back)and take it easy on her so hopefully I didn't do too much damage. I will pull the current file today and try to get it over to Rawze for review.

Thanks for all your help Mr. Waterloo I owe you one!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
12-21-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
I'll repeat the same thing Waterloo said, remove all the cans and completely hollow them out. A hole through the middle might let the exhaust flow well enough, but the leftover material reflects heat back toward the turbo. And eventually the leftover filter material will build up with soot and that hole will slowly shrink in size.

The SCR can has nearly identical filter material in it to that of the DPF. Once the DPF is no longer catching the soot then the SCR can starts to do that job and, unlike the DPF, there's no way to clean it out. That's why it NEEDS to be hollowed out as well. Otherwise it will quickly clog up the exhaust system. At 25k miles that's a LOT of soot that has already been built up. The turbo will be the first thing to suffer as a result.

Like Waterloo said, if you have a straight SCR exhaust can then you can fairly easily break it up with a really really long drill bit, but if the pipes in and out bend then you pretty much need to cut it open then weld it back shut afterward.

The stuff breaks up fairly easily, but also produces some very fine dust. Suggest some kind of dust mask so you don't breath that crap in.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Volvo670
12-23-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
I have pulled the current file for review. Rawze can you please PM me your email so that I can send it over? Or anybody that has it for that matter if its no problem.
I want to get the correct programming on the truck before moving it another mile and as soon as I do I will take the truck over to the shop to hollow out the cans as well as run a overhead. I just got the boost and pyro gauges in the mail so that will go in as well as soon as I can move the truck safely.
replyreply
(12-23-2020 )Volvo670 Wrote:  I have pulled the current file for review. Rawze can you please PM me your email so that I can send it over? Or anybody that has it for that matter if its no problem.
I want to get the correct programming on the truck before moving it another mile and as soon as I do I will take the truck over to the shop to hollow out the cans as well as run a overhead. I just got the boost and pyro gauges in the mail so that will go in as well as soon as I can move the truck safely.

I PM'd you my e-mail.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(12-23-2020 )Volvo670 Wrote:  I have pulled the current file for review. Rawze can you please PM me your email so that I can send it over? Or anybody that has it for that matter if its no problem.

Looked his file over. He said some place in dallas,tx did it.

It looks like they used the public version of the 'Africa-G' overlay on it (found for free on the internet). That overlay is fairly safe to use for most 2250's and is not harmful in itself ... HOWEVER ... someone edited the boost tables up to 40+ and it looks like they are trying to get it to 40+ lbs boost on this guys 2250. - This change is very harmful and will cause over-boosting.

It has also been mentioned that the SCR can has not been touched, and that the other cans only have a 6" hole drilled thru them ... It is also very harmful leave the SCR can inn tact as it will eventually clog up and cause damage to the engine and turbo. - Only having the cans partially hollowed out also causes undue stress on the turbo and pistons by way of unnecessary reflected heat.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-24-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
So I stopped by the shop today in an attempt to get the factory tune for my truck, and of course they are sticking to their story of the current tune being the factory but just changed parameters for the demandate. They said that no other tune was installed therefore they have no factory tune saved.
I will now have to go to the stealership asap to get my ecm bench-tuned to factory specs.
replyreply
12-24-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
(12-24-2020 )Volvo670 Wrote:  So I stopped by the shop today in an attempt to get the factory tune for my truck, and of course they are sticking to their story of the current tune being the factory but just changed parameters for the demandate. They said that no other tune was installed therefore they have no factory tune saved.
I will now have to go to the stealership asap to get my ecm bench-tuned to factory specs.

Most shops have an excuse ... This is because they know not what they do.
They had to have pulled the file out of the ecm initially to run the overlay on it... sound like they perhaps did not bother to back it up properly before editing what they pulled out?. - A person can only guess.

Pay someone $2500 do do a job that you have to do again yourself. That is what you end up with 90% of the time with these places unfortunately, and if you let them know they can improve and that there are better ways, most shops will simply get arrogant, argue back instead, and refuse to listen ... victimizing the rest of everyone that comes along just the same. Bad delete programming and bad engine tuning is an out of control plague in our industry that gets worse every year... All while the truck owner swears his truck is the one that got done right, cuz they can't feel the engine acting up. That is, until they loose a liner or need an inframe 2-3x more often than normal... and then blame the equipment instead of what they had done... I see it on a daily basis, no one seems to want to hear the truth, but instead, simply argue it away.

At least your taking the initiative to straighten it out for yourself. It becomes one of those situation where you think to yourself ... "Boy, if I knew then what I know now.... I could have saved myself so much headache, money, and grief".

We try to tell ppl on here as they come along and discover this place, but most just piss what is said away as paranoia or some other thing. Can't help ppl who you lead to water that are thirsting to death ... but choose to eat the sand in front of the trough instead out of sheer pride and ignorance.

replyreply
12-28-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
(12-24-2020 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-24-2020 )Volvo670 Wrote:  So I stopped by the shop today in an attempt to get the factory tune for my truck, and of course they are sticking to their story of the current tune being the factory but just changed parameters for the demandate. They said that no other tune was installed therefore they have no factory tune saved.

Most shops have an excuse ... This is because they know not what they do.
They had to have pulled the file out of the ecm initially to run the overlay on it... sound like they perhaps did not bother to back it up properly before editing what they pulled out?. - A person can only guess.

Pay someone $2500 do do a job that you have to do again yourself. That is what you end up with 90% of the time with these places unfortunately, and if you let them know they can improve and that there are better ways, most shops will simply get arrogant, argue back instead, and refuse to listen ... victimizing the rest of everyone that comes along just the same. Bad delete programming and bad engine tuning is an out of control plague in our industry that gets worse every year... All while the truck owner swears his truck is the one that got done right, cuz they can't feel the engine acting up. That is, until they loose a liner or need an inframe 2-3x more often than normal... and then blame the equipment instead of what they had done... I see it on a daily basis, no one seems to want to hear the truth, but instead, simply argue it away.

At least your taking the initiative to straighten it out for yourself. It becomes one of those situation where you think to yourself ... "Boy, if I knew then what I know now.... I could have saved myself so much headache, money, and grief".

We try to tell ppl on here as they come along and discover this place, but most just piss what is said away as paranoia or some other thing. Can't help ppl who you lead to water that are thirsting to death ... but choose to eat the sand in front of the trough instead out of sheer pride and ignorance.

I have ran into a problem. The Volvo stealerships in my area only do ecm reflashing on the truck itself, they don't have the setup to do bench-programming. The only other option I could think of was to take it to an shop that "specialize" in ecm's but their programmer is out of vacation and won't be back till next week.
I was going to try a shop but, they got me in this mess to begin with so I didn't consider that...

Any other suggestions I'm not thinking about?
replyreply
12-28-2020, (Subject: Volvo 670 with 2250 ) 
(12-28-2020 )Volvo670 Wrote:  I have ran into a problem. The Volvo stealerships in my area only do ecm reflashing on the truck itself, they don't have the setup to do bench-programming. The only other option I could think of was to take it to an shop that "specialize" in ecm's but their programmer is out of vacation and won't be back till next week.
I was going to try a shop but, they got me in this mess to begin with so I didn't consider that...

Any other suggestions I'm not thinking about?

* have you gotten to pulling apart and finishing hollowing out all the cans including the SCR yet?

* Is there a maint. free Crank case filter installed?

* What other hardware mods or block-plates etc. have been done to it?

-- I can perhaps try to straighten out the bad file you sent me, as it is not as bad as some that I see, but it is far easier and safer to just start over so that it guarantees there are no hidden mistakes lurking in it from the ppl that butchered it originally.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.