Winter blend to keep from Gelling
12-24-2020, (Subject: Winter blend to keep from Gelling ) 
Winter blend to keep from Gelling
Hello, new to forum. Trying to read all I can on here. Learning how to search the forum. I have always mixed a little bit of kerosene in my 06 cat during the winter months to not gel up. I have a 16 prostar with a Cummin now. What is recommended for these newer engines? Kerosene is all I have ever used. I have gelled up with power service and howes in the past.
replyreply
12-25-2020, (Subject: Winter blend to keep from Gelling ) 
RE: Winter blend to keep from Gelling
Not sure where you are running.. But be warned, the newer cummins don't return warm fuel to the tanks. If you look up smorgan87's post from just last week you will see a discussion about this.
replyreply
(12-24-2020 )Bennett24 Wrote:  Hello, new to forum. Trying to read all I can on here. Learning how to search the forum. I have always mixed a little bit of kerosene in my 06 cat during the winter months to not gel up. I have a 16 prostar with a Cummin now. What is recommended for these newer engines? Kerosene is all I have ever used. I have gelled up with power service and howes in the past.

part of my article where i researched fuel additives...
Rawze Wrote:...
Kerosene is sometimes used to keep diesel from gelling and/or is used to circumvent paying fuel taxes. This is in fact true, but it is very abrasive and causes excess wear, especially to the fuel system components. It actually isn't bad as a 'Roll your own' anti-gel product if it is first mixed with a good ash-less 2-cycle engine oil mixed at 128:1, to make it less abrasive. Some of the anti-gel products on the truck stop shelves are nothing more than this anyways.
ref: http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...622#pid622

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Kerosene is nearly the same as #1 diesel (0 paraffin wax) that u can buy in the northern states. Only problem is its had nearly all its heavier lubrication refined out so in order to keep pump and injector wear to a minimum you need to replace that lubricant. Like rawze said ashless 2cycle oil will help out with that. If ur demandated u have more options because u dont have to worry about dirty burning fuel cloggin up a dpf but do still have to watch what u try to flow thru them 1k$ injectors and 3k$ pump. Im assuming that 16 has a 2350 engine so in addition to treating the fuel id suggest a heated davco and tank heat. Winter time is when i really miss my 871. In fact theres a decent chance i go buy a 871 core and rebuild it when this 2350 kicks it. I like common rail but cummins engineers have some work to do...
replyreply
(12-25-2020 )Squish099 Wrote:  Not sure where you are running.. But be warned, the newer cummins don't return warm fuel to the tanks. If you look up smorgan87's post from just last week you will see a discussion about this.

Newer Cummins engine has almost same fuel temperature and volume return to the tank. The difference is fuel used for injector timing. Never had any problem with gelling if engine was running. Fueled truck in TN and in MO was 0 - 5 F last night. I don't think TN has winter blend.
If someone interesting in actual fuel tank temperatures tonight i 'll run thru WY. Can drop temperature probe in one fuel tank to measure and compare with outside.
replyreply
Snail beginning with 2250 the fuel does not circulate through anything warm prior to return. 871 and earlier circulates through i believe the head before returning.
replyreply
12-26-2020, (Subject: Winter blend to keep from Gelling ) 
(12-25-2020 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Snail beginning with 2250 the fuel does not circulate through anything warm prior to return. 871 and earlier circulates through i believe the head before returning.
Also there is a very noticeable loss in response on these common rail engines as well especially in below zero conditions, x15 as well. They have a TSB-200219 for them though that does involve replacing a "fuel thermostat" which is actually integrated into a TRV housing. Not too sure about the older common rails but something to look into perhaps..
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , smorgan87
12-26-2020, (Subject: Winter blend to keep from Gelling ) 
[/quote]Also there is a very noticeable loss in response on these common rail engines as well especially in below zero conditions, x15 as well.
[/quote]

It's so annoying to drive them. Push the pedal and nothing happens.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.