Moving Home
02-09-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
RE: Moving Home
(02-09-2021 )JimT Wrote:  containers on intermodal chassis ride higher then a trailer (deck/floor height) and bounce like crazy when empty. unless you're planning on using it for storage after the move I would stay away...

on the flip side a gooseneck hotshot flatbed with a container strapped to the deck would be much lower, possibly with fold down ramps for easier loading. they come in many sizes and range $5-15k new (depending on size and specs), though used should be cheaper. Then when the move is over you could keep the container as storage and the gooseneck flatbed could be handy, especially if you have a pickup too.
I really think you will have way more in buying a short box trailer than you think. If you buy one cheap, buy the time you get it road worthy you'll have a good bit into it. Then who is going to buy a short box trailer when you're done with it. If you have the money I would buy a gooseneck hot shot trailer. They are always for sale and you can sell it pretty easily when done with it. Buy a sea land container to put on it for your stuff. Same thing there, they are everywhere for sale. You can easily sell it afterwards or keep it for storage at the new place. If you don't want to pay movers, gooseneck and a container is a win win in my book. That's how I would do it, just make sure you're stuff is dress right dress so if the man pulls you.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RocketScott
02-10-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
For a smaller pickup trailer ...
Keep in mind you would need electric brakes ( not a big deal ) and the king pin will work , I have done it lots .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
02-10-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
Looking at craigslist at both places

There's someone selling a 28' dry van for $1100 where I'm going. Sounds like he did what I'm thinking of doing, bought it to move and just wants to get rid of it. The one I'm looking at is $1750 at a dealer, too much for what it is. Not sure how much they will come down from that

Shipping containers look like they are selling for a lot more there. Could probably make money on the container and maybe break even on the trailer

Sucks moving from a place that people are fleeing from
replyreply
02-11-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
If you could find a good shipping container for cheap (what they used to sell for), you'd certainly be able to turn a profit when you're finished using it. Been watching the prices rise down here (gulf coast) for the last couple months. A damn well-used 20' container is up to $2500! Just got that quote yesterday morning (2/10).

Last year at this time that same used container was $14-1600. About 2yrs ago, my dad purchased a one trip 20ft container for $2700 shipped and set up. It literally looked like it had not been used. The ones I've seen out here lately have looked pretty rough.
replyreply
(02-11-2021 )SquareOne Wrote:  If you could find a good shipping container for cheap (what they used to sell for), you'd certainly be able to turn a profit when you're finished using it. Been watching the prices rise down here (gulf coast) for the last couple months. A damn well-used 20' container is up to $2500! Just got that quote yesterday morning (2/10).

Last year at this time that same used container was $14-1600. About 2yrs ago, my dad purchased a one trip 20ft container for $2700 shipped and set up. It literally looked like it had not been used. The ones I've seen out here lately have looked pretty rough.
I did quick search for gooseneck around Seattle and there are some really good deals and I saw one container for 1200. I personally would not mess with a short dry box. I think it would be hard to resell.
replyreply
(02-10-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  Sucks moving from a place that people are fleeing from

Probably a traffic jam getting out of there lol.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
02-14-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
Going to look at a couple more trailers this week. Looks promising

1984 Fruehauf
28 feet X 102 inches
Single Axle
Van Trailer

And

1984 Fruehauf
28 feet X 102 inches
Single Axle
Van Trailer

Both will need some work and I'm ok with that. If their numbers are to be believed the tires and brakes are decent. The cheaper trailer has 24.5" wheels, same size as the truck. Would be nice to not have two different tire sizes (three I guess if you count the steers)
replyreply
02-14-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
My trailer air lines and cord have seen better days

Are there any advantages in switching to straight air lines and cord?

Seems a lot cleaner. I've got 10'6" from the glad hands to the back of the truck. I'm assuming a 12' line should be plenty unless I'm missing something
replyreply
02-15-2021, (Subject: Moving Home ) 
(02-14-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  My trailer air lines and cord have seen better days

Are there any advantages in switching to straight air lines and cord?

Seems a lot cleaner. I've got 10'6" from the glad hands to the back of the truck. I'm assuming a 12' line should be plenty unless I'm missing something

Here is your 12' line set, a bit pricey... https://amzn.to/3dexmZb

I bought the identical 15' up your way at McCoy Freightliner in Salem OR, $115... Rare to see a 12' line set on the shelf, at least in my experience.

I find Freightliner has better pricing on stuff like this. Much better than other dealers and even some of the parts houses. I would call around.

User's Signature: 2008 ProStar, OEM 600hp CM-871, 18spd, 3:42, in framed in Rawze's driveway. Every day is a fresh new episode of, "The Twilight Zone"... Rod Serling lives rent free in my head. I can smell the Chesterfields.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.