Issues earlier CM870
02-21-2021, (Subject: Issues earlier CM870 ) 
RE: Issues earlier CM870
(02-20-2021 )Hgilp Wrote:  Truck has been demandated, but not tuned yet. Haven’t looked into who to have tune yet. I’d also like recommendations on that, if anyone could give any input. I did buy the plate to check the injectors, and a dial indicator to check the timing actuators. I don’t want to put a lot of money into this engine. It already has almost 1.2 million miles on it, and I don’t plan to inframe it. I was quoted $24,000 at the low end for an inframe, and don’t trust any smaller local shops. They won’t even diagnose the issues I’m having now. I just can’t afford to run a truck getting 4.78mpg. Thanks for all the replies. I’ll update once I do more diagnosing.

I’ve never seen the VGT actuator move. I moved it by hand and it knocked rust off the turbo, I know that isn’t a good sign. Does the actuator hold the canes normally open, or normally closed? I know if it was normally closed, I’d always be making boost, and won’t get any fuel mileage.

sounds to me like it has been seriously neglected .. and it also sound like you don't want to remedy this to any real extent... your best bet is to get rid of the truck while the engine still runs if that is the case, as a commercial $40,000 engine NEEDS TO HAVE THINGS FIXED PROPERLY AND NOT HALF-ARSSED!!!!!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
{post content removed. user has been muted.}
replyreply
(02-21-2021 )Hgilp Wrote:  {post content removed. user has been muted.}

Go take that garbage-can way of thinking back over to social medai where it belongs!. I am sure there are lots of ppl on there that can tell you how to half-arsse your engine, truck, and trucking operations on the fast track into oblivion for ya. You won't find that penny-and-dime it to death ideology supported on here ... all it leads to is jumping over dollar bills to try and save a penny. This place is about knuckling down and doing things right so that there is a predictable, positive, tried-and-true, profitable outcome instead.

And if your truly that broke then ... I would suggest you park the truck, reset and re-think your strategy. .. go be a company driver for a while and save the money to get it fixed .. fix it up right and then go from there. That or sell it and simply be a company driver who can take home a regular paycheck. You'll make more money that way vs. the failing business model and ideas you have gotten yourself caught up into.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Darn, I missed the removed comment... I dont know how bad it was but this guys posts were shaping up to be a lesson in buying in to or owning something thats on its last leg and about to belly up. With no money and no desire to put whats needed in to fixing it (which is both money and desire to fix it properly) so it can be profitable and reliable again, this truck is doomed to be a money pit. You can't have one or the other and run a successful trucking company. Both need to be in place.

At 1.2 million miles the engine is on real borrowed timed. If the OP owns this truck with this many miles and zero intentions of putting money in to bringing it back to a reliable state then the only result is gonna be failure. At 1.2 million it NEEDS an overhaul. That should have been budgeted in with the ownership of the truck. Also with an overhaul it probably needs a pile of other things. Which again, should have been budgeted in with the ownership of the truck.

Everything that was posted all leads to a business model of nickel and diming yourself in to bankruptcy. Unplugging and blocking (demandate without proper programming) will stress, damage and destroy whats left of that 1.2 million mile engine. Its what they call the final nail in the coffin.

Rust falling off the turbo when manually moving the actuator probably points to it not operating. Which means it has problems such as air leaks, control module shot, possible actuator shot or even the turbo itself is bound up internally. And if its been driven for any amount of time with the turbo veins froze in place then more than likely the turbo is toast and heat build up from the turbo not working is most definitely destroying the engine.

You can't half ass repair these new commercial engines without it affecting other parts of the engine. The whole set up works as one. They are very profitable when cared for properly. But they are down right money pits if you want to neglect them.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , smorgan87

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.