Buying a truck I’m i doing it right?
03-13-2021, (Subject: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right? ) 
RE: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right?
(03-13-2021 )HiabGuy Wrote:  The warranty does take away a lot of the worry but what do you guys think?

This is absolutely wrong. As my signature below implies, warranty's are a joke. Even if you could get them to cover a repair under warranty, those monkeys at the stealership will screw it up good and proper and send it right back out. That's after they have it for 2 weeks and you can't work the whole time.

A lot of us on here have learned this lesson more than a few times. Hell just ask waterloo about his $38K inframe at a stealership in Michigan!! A total waste of time and money and he had to redo it himself to get it right because nobody else is going to(except haggai diesel)

If I were you and hell bent on buying this truck and it sounds like you are. I would tell them " if you knock $10K or $15K off the purchase price you can cancel that worthless warranty". If that doesn't make any sense to you now it will in 2 or 3 years, maybe even sooner.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , amermextrucker , PuroCumminsPower
03-13-2021, (Subject: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right? ) 
(03-13-2021 )tree98 Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 )HiabGuy Wrote:  The warranty does take away a lot of the worry but what do you guys think?

This is absolutely wrong. As my signature below implies, warranty's are a joke. Even if you could get them to cover a repair under warranty, those monkeys at the stealership will screw it up good and proper and send it right back out. That's after they have it for 2 weeks and you can't work the whole time.

A lot of us on here have learned this lesson more than a few times. Hell just ask waterloo about his $38K inframe at a stealership in Michigan!! A total waste of time and money and he had to redo it himself to get it right because nobody else is going to(except haggai diesel)

If I were you and hell bent on buying this truck and it sounds like you are. I would tell them " if you knock $10K or $15K off the purchase price you can cancel that worthless warranty". If that doesn't make any sense to you now it will in 2 or 3 years, maybe even sooner.
Thank you sir may be I will pass on this one unless he does knock off more money. he has another more expensive one but doesn’t look so bad. the owner was mechanic himself and it worked better for him to down size to move up on his company list.
replyreply
03-14-2021, (Subject: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right? ) 
(03-13-2021 )HiabGuy Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 )the missing link Wrote:  Thats alot for a logging truck .
If you don't need a tridrive don't but one .
Worse fuel mileage and takes alot more to turn
Thats a really heavy truck to run light .

The crane I got only fit on a Tri axle. I got it for a better price then I would of got a lighter crane on a tandem plus I can do more crane work. I might not be even loaded on some days.

I apologize i did not see that you were putting a crane on .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
I'm a new guy around here, but have been doing lots of reading. I was just wondering what you guys think of the fact the engine was inframed at around 350,000 KM. I would think it's a red flag for two reasons... One, it was seriously abused from the start of it's life. And two, was it inframed by the usual hacks from stealerships of Cummins? What do you guys think???
replyreply
(03-14-2021 )Snowfarmer Wrote:  I'm a new guy around here, but have been doing lots of reading. I was just wondering what you guys think of the fact the engine was inframed at around 350,000 KM. I would think it's a red flag for two reasons... One, it was seriously abused from the start of it's life. And two, was it inframed by the usual hacks from stealerships of Cummins? What do you guys think???

its anyone's guess...

I can only guess that an early-life inframe would most likely be the typical scenario due to carbon packing that happens on these common rail engines.

#1 cause of carbon packing is not keeping after oil changes, no bypass oil system to keep soot at bay, and complete lack of any type of regular ERG-tune-up work, allowing for excess soot in the oil all the time. Can't blame that on the engine nearly as much as the truck owner's lack of understanding (or care for that matter).

A severe lack of understanding and/or this "warranty will cover it" mentality towards these newer engines and equipment is to blame.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Snowfarmer
Got the other truck that I looked at and price as the other truck after giving up the head guard and logger poles was ok. There was a crack on the y beam and some shocks but other parts of the truck are good can’t have it all. after got a friend to look into it I called the previous owner after I took the number off the side and did some hunting. of course he says it’s ok but he does have his own shop. So I’m comfortable he did what he had to do on the truck.

Thank for keeping me sharp on this and so it begins
replyreply
03-15-2021, (Subject: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right? ) 
(03-13-2021 )HiabGuy Wrote:  The crane I got only fit on a Tri axle. I got it for a better price then I would of got a lighter crane on a tandem plus I can do more crane work. I might not be even loaded on some days.

What model of crane do you have?

I don't understand why it would only fit on a tri-axle. Lifting off the side doesn't really matter how many axles you've got, they're all the same width. An extra axle doesn't do much for stability

My truck was originally a dump truck. 20k front axle and double rails. The crane is a 14 ton Terex
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
03-15-2021, (Subject: Buying a truck I’m i doing it right? ) 
(03-15-2021 )RocketScott Wrote:  
(03-13-2021 )HiabGuy Wrote:  The crane I got only fit on a Tri axle. I got it for a better price then I would of got a lighter crane on a tandem plus I can do more crane work. I might not be even loaded on some days.

What model of crane do you have?

I don't understand why it would only fit on a tri-axle. Lifting off the side doesn't really matter how many axles you've got, they're all the same width. An extra axle doesn't do much for stability

My truck was originally a dump truck. 20k front axle and double rails. The crane is a 14 ton Terex

It’s an hiab 477 e-8 front mount with a 20ft deck. I think it is a categorized as a 40 ton crane if not mistaken 12,000 dead weight. I attached the specs. It’s all about Weight distribution on the truck I know the allowance for each province in Canada is different i don’t know for the states. I am in British Columbia but in Alberta your not allowed to front mount this crane. This crane would be awesome on a tandem turning would be easy but I would give up to much deck space moving the crane back. I probably still could but DOT won’t pass it and no certification on install at the crane dealers

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/202103/post_5456_1615860471_facc6a1d9331928e74bac790f6c5ff66.jpeg
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.