Iron high in sample
03-18-2021, (Subject: Iron high in sample ) 
Iron high in sample
Just did an oil change and analysis, oil ran a little long on this change due to time( about 1k miles). Also had an overhead run on the engine with this change. Iron jumped from 17ppm (usually its about 8ppm) to 110ppm. I was expecting some additional contamination in silicon or lead maybe. Would this jump make sense on an overhead? Engine has been running same as usual. Replaced guts of fuel pump last spring. Will prob get time to check pump this werkend. Also, this is an ISC not ISX.
replyreply
RE: Iron high in sample
that is a big jump. Something wrong or possibly a contaminated sample?.

It sit a lot and top end get rusted?

coolant or water in oil?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Everything else is normal, lead, magnesium, copper, zinc, no water, no loss that i can see in my expansion tank, truck runs mon-friday, has sat occasionally for a day or two in the last few months as work was slow. Not in position to do an in frame, but not sure what to look at for possible problems. Fuel milage has been stable, about 8.4mpg avg. i suppose it could be a contaminated sample? I was concerned when the previous sample came back at 17ppm for iron, as it had been riding in the single digits before (6-9ppm).
replyreply
Im doing 5k mike oil changes, this one ran long, a little over 6k, change before this was at 5400 miles.
replyreply
03-19-2021, (Subject: Iron high in sample ) 
Could be the oil pump failing and making the iron if nothing else is elevated with it.
I've just had the same scenario with a Cat 3406C in one of my scrapers.
High iron, ever thing else running about where it should. Pulled the oil pump and inspected, the gears were that worn I'm suprised it even pumped oil. Now just waiting for the new oil sample to be analized to see if it's settled down
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete
Could be, definitely a place to start. Thanks!
replyreply
Was oil pressure on that still good? Pressure has been normal, builds right away on cold start
replyreply
Pump is apparently behind the front cover, will i need to do anything with the gear train? I always thought the pump was on the underside of the engine behind the oil pan. Thanks!
replyreply
03-31-2021, (Subject: Iron high in sample ) 
Update:

Was unable to make time to replace the oil pump last week, but did purchase one.

In the meanwhile, put 700 miles on the nose on the new oil, then drained it and took sample (left filter on), and refilled. Got results from this sample, all the wear metals are stable except for iron again. Iron was at 24ppm after 700 miles, usually it's been 4-8ppm.

It occurred to me when I received the report that the full oil filter that I did not change, would have contributed to the iron, as it's holding 1/2 gallon of 'old' oil, but the iron is still elevated way high.

Was also interesting, Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and Phosphorus were significantly higher. I assume that's because the oil only had 700 miles on it.

Lab also noted .52% fuel in oil. That has never been seen before. Not sure what to make of that. (lab notes at bottom of post, full report attached)

As far as I can tell, engine uses no coolant, was changed last year, oil consumption (2-3qts) at about 5-6k miles has been stable, fuel mileage is where it should be (8.5ish mpg).

I'm hesitant to dig into the oil pump, as pressure at idle is 20psi (normal) and at 1500rpm is 55psi (also normal).

I have not looked at the fuel pump, but I suppose I should. It was rebuilt this time last year (about 30k miles since).

Would the air compressor be a possibility? Seems to be fine, just put a new dryer on, as one of the vales was sticking open occasionally.

I'm also trying to find a new harmonic/crankshaft damper, as cummins does not make them any longer. If the damper was going south, would it cause the crankshaft to wear badly that quickly?

Thanks for any input. 99% of the time, I only have saturday and sunday to get any major work done on this truck, as this is the only truck for all of the dumpsters.

"THE VISCOSITY IS SLIGHTLY LOW BASED ON 15W-40 OIL SPECS. 0.5% OF FUEL IS ACCEPTABLE FOR A TYPICAL SERVICE INTERVAL. PLEASE CONFIRM WEIGHT/BLEND OF OIL USED IN THIS
COMPARTMENT. ENSURE OIL TRANSFER IS NOT POSSIBLE/OCCURING. VISCOSITY CAN BE AFFECTED BY SHEARING OF THE OIL AS WELL. SINCE THE OIL WAS CHANGED AT SAMPLE TIME,
RESAMPLE IN 3,000 MILES TO CONTINUE TO MONITOR AND ENSURE CONTAMINATION/DEBRIS NO LONGER REMAINS ."

.pdf  second lab sample1.PDF (Size: 95.34 KB / Downloads: 173)
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.