Post Inframe Gear Lube
03-27-2021, (Subject: Post Inframe Gear Lube ) 
Post Inframe Gear Lube
Post inframe, about 45,000 miles now. Last oil used about 1/2 gal oil, first half of this oil I added nearly a gallon (I think I was a little below full to begin with), but the second half hasn't seen any drop in oil at all. Blow by seems to have nearly disappeared recently too.

First oil sample was a little high in the expected areas, but second sample everything dropped to low/normal levels.

Did the overhead not long ago, a little tight on about half the valves. The rest were either slightly loose or close to normal. Getting ready for another oil change in a couple weeks. What would be the recommended gear lube for my current situation? 80w90 or 85w140? I'm thinking 80w90 but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, completely unrelated, but it popped up in my walmart shopping... It's about time for a hydraulic fluid change for my Western snow plow. Of course mfg recommends their own brand. I saw walmart has a hydraulic oil, about $22.50 for 2 gallons. Anyone have any suggestions? Never bought/used hydraulic oil before so not sure if there's anything I should be looking for or staying away from.

Thanks guys.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
RE: Post Inframe Gear Lube
1 gal of 89/90 is what I used since my own inframe,... even with first oil change.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: JimT
Well, you had suggested I wait until about the 30k oil change before adding gear lube, so that's what I did. Had a gallon of 80w90 sittin around so that's what went in. Now it's time to restock so I figured I'd double check before buying.

Btw, my method for measuring blow by uses the "highly scientific" method of removing the oil fill cap and assessing the amount of smoke visible. Recently it's become almost unnoticeable and I don't notice any pressure when I put my hand over the fill tube. Still got that drilled out crankcase breather filter too.

User's Signature: "...And as we wind on down the road, Our Shadows taller than our Soul..."
replyreply
(03-27-2021 )JimT Wrote:  Post inframe, about 45,000 miles now. Last oil used about 1/2 gal oil, first half of this oil I added nearly a gallon (I think I was a little below full to begin with), but the second half hasn't seen any drop in oil at all. Blow by seems to have nearly disappeared recently too.

First oil sample was a little high in the expected areas, but second sample everything dropped to low/normal levels.

Did the overhead not long ago, a little tight on about half the valves. The rest were either slightly loose or close to normal. Getting ready for another oil change in a couple weeks. What would be the recommended gear lube for my current situation? 80w90 or 85w140? I'm thinking 80w90 but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also, completely unrelated, but it popped up in my walmart shopping... It's about time for a hydraulic fluid change for my Western snow plow. Of course mfg recommends their own brand. I saw walmart has a hydraulic oil, about $22.50 for 2 gallons. Anyone have any suggestions? Never bought/used hydraulic oil before so not sure if there's anything I should be looking for or staying away from.

Thanks guys.
I did my first change around 600 miles because of changing oil pans. My dip stick rubbed a tiny hole in the pan. But I went ahead and did the gallon of 75-90 from Walmart. Jerry said it was fine to go ahead with it. I have just over 10 thousand now and going to change it tomorrow and do the gear oil again. Here's a picture of my oil now, reminds me of my old N14. Notice the short stick, we ground about a quarter inch off so it won't rub any more. Like I said in the inframe post, five pans at my friend shop ALL had rub marks from the stick.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , amermextrucker
I would check to see what manufacturer recommends for hydraulic oil. There are a few different ones. Like AW32, AW46, AW64.

User's Signature: 2015 Kenworth T660
replyreply
03-28-2021, (Subject: Post Inframe Gear Lube ) 
(03-27-2021 )Mattman Wrote:  I would check to see what manufacturer recommends for hydraulic oil. There are a few different ones. Like AW32, AW46, AW64.

Plow maint manual says:
Quote:Use WESTERN® High Performance
Fluid to –40°F (–40°C) or other fluid
conforming to military specification
MIL-H-5606A, such as Mobil Aero
HFA or Shell AeroShell® Fluid 4.

That's all the guidance they give. To someone who's never dealt with hydraulic systems it doesn't mean much.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.