04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking
10-25-2021, (Subject: 04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking ) 
RE: 04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking
(10-25-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Got the new compressor and also a new dryer.Hopefully it helps with the constant purging.

you need to replace all old hoses and CAC boots that look old .. check all piping on intake for rust and flaking on insides.. check any blocked off cisrcuits, replace the air dryer unit and fix all air leaks.

you also need to ensure you do not have excessive blo-by and that there is no pressure building in the crank case.

All I could find was 2-4” boots in the area where I’m at.Got a new intake hose for the compressor.How do I check if there is air building up in the crankcase? Truck still has EGR.
replyreply
(10-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 )Mr Hagg Wrote:  Looks to me compressor gettting hot from running all the time. How often is compressor popping off?

Constantly.
Then thats the issue.. Need to find out why its doing it all the time. Take shop air and use it to build air through main line going from compressor. You mave have a leaking supply line or you could have a hole in regulator line from governor to compressor... No reason compressor stead kicking on and off unless there is a issue
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Redland1
(10-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  
(10-25-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  Got the new compressor and also a new dryer.Hopefully it helps with the constant purging.

you need to replace all old hoses and CAC boots that look old .. check all piping on intake for rust and flaking on insides.. check any blocked off cisrcuits, replace the air dryer unit and fix all air leaks.

you also need to ensure you do not have excessive blo-by and that there is no pressure building in the crank case.

All I could find was 2-4” boots in the area where I’m at.Got a new intake hose for the compressor.How do I check if there is air building up in the crankcase? Truck still has EGR.

by checking to see how much blo-by you ave and ensure the breather tube is not blocked up.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
10-26-2021, (Subject: 04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking ) 
Just a thought if your compressor shuts off which is signaled by the air dryer unloading or spitting then comes right back on and does it again, check the air line from the air dryer to the unloader line on the governor for leaks. As well if your govenor is remote mounted check the unloader line to the compressor.
replyreply
So of course I messed up somewhere and the compressor is leaking oil in between the compressor and engine.Fleetpride doesn’t sell gaskets for it.Can I use Permatex The Right Stuff instead?
replyreply
(10-26-2021 )Redland1 Wrote:  So of course I messed up somewhere and the compressor is leaking oil in between the compressor and engine.Fleetpride doesn’t sell gaskets for it.Can I use Permatex The Right Stuff instead?

no... GET THE RIGHT GASKET FOR IT.. AND ALSO PUT LOC-TITE BLUE (loc-tite-242) on the bolt threads because they will often leak oil past them if you do not too.

FOLLOW the procedures on quickserv.com.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Put on the new gaskets and still leaking.I’m out in Virginia and thinking of driving it back to the house in San Antonio and check the level every few hours.At least the mechanic I have back home won’t rip me off.Local dealer in Manassas Virginia quoted me $2600 to just take it off,put new gaskets and reinstall.Three weeks out.What do y’all think I should do?
replyreply
10-27-2021, (Subject: 04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking ) 
Depends on how bad it's leaking oil.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
10-27-2021, (Subject: 04’ cm870 air compressor keeps breaking ) 
Found a shop in Gainesville,VA just outside of Manassas that looked at my truck at 8:30Am said that they could take care of it right away and went out for the gaskets.Done by 12:30.$478.Not bad I think.The mechanic said it was leaking because I left a piece of the original gasket on the cover where the compressor mounts to.Twice and I didn’t catch it SMH.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.