Exhaust question???
11-11-2021, (Subject: Exhaust question??? ) 
Exhaust question???
Ok I’ve looked and get anything to come up. I’ve dug around on the interweb and find very little.
2009 ISX @m*m^2’d. Running a straight stack now. Curious if I should go back to factory set up with muffler/resonator which ever it was. Or keep straight or add a spool section.
Which brings me around to spool pipes. WTF are they? What do they do?
I like the look of straight not exactly the sound and I’m thinking I might be giving up proper performance not doing factory (did I jump over a $ to save a .05 way back?). But again with @m*m^2 what works best. Thanks
replyreply
11-12-2021, (Subject: Exhaust question??? ) 
RE: Exhaust question???
It's not overly complicated...... less restriction is better for any engine. A muffler is fine a straight pipe is fine although it draws unnecessary attention on what's supposed to be an emissions engine. Don't over think it just get the exhaust out of the engine and into the air without filling your cab with co2.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Grizzly
11-13-2021, (Subject: Exhaust question??? ) 
It took over 2 years for the ringing in my ears to stop from the last truck I had with straight pipes. Never again.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Grizzly
I’m experimenting with this right now as I removed everything when I de mandated.
Originally I put a muffler on which I thought had to much restriction since it had a baffle in the centre . Without hesitation I cut the centre out and made it straight through before doing any testing. Now i have been doing some longer hauls and I need to get this thing quieter. It has that bark under throttle that I love around the farm but it is tiring on the highway. The muffler I think is amplifying the sound because I hacked the centre out and now it’s just a big tin can with no packing.

I went and bought the same muffler and installed with no hacking for 100$. I figured since I have my Pyro strapped to the manifold I would be able to see how much heat this muffler reflects back and compare it to my old readings.

The un-modified muffler surely took the edge off the noise level in the truck. And surprisingly I’m not seeing an increase in temp at the manifold under similar driving conditions although thinking about this the turbo is probably soaking up the extra heat and I won’t see it in the manifold until extreme pulls. There is definitely more back pressure because it’s severely impacted fuel mileage - 2 to 4 psi more boost to hold similar speeds .
Don’t have to tell me twice…muffler is coming off. Short story long, it needs to be straight through.

Next I’m going to put a piece of 5” pipe in place a try it, if that don’t get the noise level down enough. I will dismantle the old muffler and clean it out properly and pack the surrounding with fibreglass and try again.

Just thought I’d share my shenanigans

User's Signature: 2015 389 Peterbilt. ISX 550 18speed 3.70 gears
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hookliftpete , Grizzly
[quote='SemiSweet' pid='68786' dateline='1636815025']
Sounds like you’d (and me) need a resonator section. Keeps it straight but takes the drone out of it. Ad I understand it. Im still trying to figure out if a spool section is the same thing or if it does something different.
replyreply
11-14-2021, (Subject: Exhaust question??? ) 
Ok finally!
A spool pipe or section in exhaust…
reduce the high pitch, harsh tones that can be found in a diesel exhaust with this quality Exhaust Muffler Insert. Fit snugly into the base of a stack, it can reduce exhaust noise by 10 to 12 decibels. The insert is 39 inches long and can be used on either a single or dual stack.

* High Quality Exhaust Muffler
* Drive In Quiet Spool Insert
* 39 Inch Length
* Reduces Exhaust Noise Levels By 10 - 12 Decibels
* Free Flow Design
* Can be Used on Either Single Or Dual Stacks
* Not For Use With DPF Systems
replyreply
Most guys just (after a de-mandate) leave the DOC/DPF/SCR cans all in place and make them 100% hollow... works like a charm and does not cost anything extra. Truck is not really any significant louder than before.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: tree98 , Grizzly , JMBT , LRT1549 , Toolguy
(11-14-2021 )Rawze Wrote:  Most guys just (after a de-mandate) leave the DOC/DPF/SCR cans all in place and make them 100% hollow... works like a charm and does not cost anything extra. Truck is not really any significant louder than before.

Mine sounds exactly the same as before except when you jake its a tiny bit louder but nothing significant. And it all looks 100% stock from the outside.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Grizzly , JMBT , LRT1549 , quickrigs
11-21-2021, (Subject: Exhaust question??? ) 
I might be off a little here, but seems to me before one starts screwing with a Diesel engine they should AT LEAST know the most basic simple fact that a diesel engine is not much more than a big air pump...

The easier that air flows the better..

User's Signature: 08 KW W900L 600hp ISX, 18sp, 3:36 rears.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.